Philosophy of Camping

2»

Comments

• CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Verna said:
    PXLated said:
    Hmmmmm - I've actually never considered RVs/Campers "camping". Even if boondocking.
    Rolling homes or apartments depending on size. Roving cabins.
    Well, I've always tried not to pigeon-hole anyone for their creature comforts. At least they are seeing our great country, maybe with glass between the scenery and them, but who am I to tell them my way is the way to camp. Tent campers may think we are roving cabins. 
    Agree there.  To each their own. 

Folks that hike the AT with nothing more then a pack and a jungle hammock could well say that those in a tent are not really camping.  But what does it matter, so long as one is enjoying the experience?

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Lot bigger jump from tent to mini home on wheels than backpack/hammock to tent.
    Camping - Not Camping ... Camping - Camping
    Motorhome (House) - Trailer (Apartment) - T@B (Efficiency Apartment) - Tent (Camping) - Hammock (Crazy)
    ;-)
  • WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Joe -- Love your comments.  Ditto.  :):)
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    As a kid, I loved being outdoors in the woods. After I came back from SE Asia in the early 70's (that's for another time) I became domesticated. It's only over the past ten years where I've recovered the outdoor life. Through hiked the Colorado Trail once, sectioned hiked it once and am now section hiking it again. About 100 mi last summer. Peg and go out together for day trips but her cancer prevents her from very much exertion, so we started to look at camper trailers where she could be out and still be able to lie down and rest when needed. Were originally looking at popups but a wise friend counseled against it so we began looking at T@Bs. We just ordered our Outback last week and are anticipating a Spring delivery. Hopefully looking toward meeting some of you at various events. Still working and hoping to retire in a couple of years, depending on Pegs health and if I need to continue with the excellent insurance benefits we now have. Just trying to live day to day, enjoying each one together as it comes. Bill
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    Oh, and we do still lake kayak and fish with two kayaks.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Sending healing strength to Mrs_Gnome for continued recovery! Having dealt and camped alone with a popup in my younger years, I am glad your wise friend pointed you to these tiny campers. 

Joe, love your words. Wonderful!

PXL, with ya on the wild hammock minimalists (was one an eon ago)! ;)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • libertyolibertyo Member Posts: 33
    First time out in my brand new 2016 Max S this past week.  Gotta admit that I was pretty nostalgic and felt like a traitor to camping when I saw the morning sunlight glistening off the pretty yellow tent camped next to me.   A short time later, as I cooked my bacon & eggs and perked coffee on my coleman stove (yes, I could use my indoor kitchen, but plan to hybrid my style with my camp gear), I glanced over to see the guy upending his tent to allow dew to dry from the bottom.  Realized at that moment how great I slept - Not missing the damp hard ground!  

Spent the day hiking and exploring knowing my campsite is secure with all valuables safely locked inside (never ever had a problem with anything walking away at a state park, but ya never know and now no worries).  2nd night as I enjoyed a nice fire in the camp ring, I noticed bright red and white dancing lights from across the way.  Took awhile before I figured it out - head flashlights as several newcomers spent a great deal of time trying to figure out poles and set up their tent in the dark.  Realized at that moment how simple my set up at dusk the night before had been, even tho it was my very first time to back into a site and unhook and plug in.  And my window shades are so good at blocking light, I was able to watch a dvd without neighbors seeing my bright leds (omygosh, I watched a movie while camping!  Don't tell, that's fer shur not "real" camping!!)

Next morning was a chill 37 degrees.  Did I care?  No!  Cozy and warm in my T@b.  Made the big decision that I should really test out all the ameneties and perked my coffee inside (of course using my blue enamel ware pot).  And then I realized I had cooked extra bacon outside the morning before, in the fridg ready for me (not sunk in a half melted chest of ice).  I prepared scrambled eggs and after breakfast, took a shower.  Surprisingly nice with no shortage of hot water!  Even used more water than needed for the rinse - I'm still unsure just how long it takes to use up the fresh water and fill the gray and black water tanks.  So will not NOT hook up to site water until I have a better feel for it.  Did I forget to mention how nice it is to avoid the night treks across the park to the facility??  

Which brings me to the final stop on the way out of the park - first dump station executed without (too much) mishap.  Successful transition from tent camper to t@b teardrop.  Independence and free spirit and the incredible beauty of nature, comaraderie with fellow hikers and campers along the way - all the reasons this outdoor gal and her dog are verry happy camping T@b style!

"Bella" 2016 T@b maxs blue, tv 07 Ford Expedition w/tow pkg, accompanied by the Red dog
    Rural Liberty Hill, TX - near Austin
    "Bella"  2016 T@b maxs blue, towed by '18 Chevy Colorado ZR2 duramax diesel - yes NEW baby, accompanied by the Red dog
    Rural Liberty Hill, TX, near Austin
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Sounds awesome, I don't think we'll miss tent camping either! I don't see us EVER cooking bacon inside the T@B!

John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183

For the Mrs. and I, we have only tent camped a few time during all these 48 married years. Accepted occasional invitations from some friends gone by. As a kid I camped time to time with buddies in old Army surplus pup tents. Good times. Never had any friends or relations that camped much. After retiring last year we sought and thought and prayed about what we'd do with the coming years of life this side of Home. With the kids all raised we had an urge to simplify and go back to being the now old hippies we once were.

I've always hunted some and fished lots. She enjoys fishing with me and we had bought a 17 ft bass boat. Simplifying first with it, sold it and bought "His and Her" fishing kayaks. Thoroughly love them! Shelved my traditional fishing tackle and got into the simple Japanese Tenkara method of fishing. Can't get enough of that either. We hadn't thought about a camper but my son in Destin, Fla. texted me a picture of a T@B and said he and his wife had seen some around there and thought them "awesome". I checked them out online, YouTube mostly and finally went to visit a dealer in London, Ky. They amazed us but somewhat pricey. After getting back home I found someone online trying to sell a 2014 orange T@B MaxS near St.Louis. They'd only had it out 5 times. We bought it and the adventure has begun! We've camped in it only three nights so far but I spend lots of time in it making various mods and strangely enough just chilling in it!

We have several places we want to go visit and will hopefully start in Jan with a trek to Sarasota, Fla. I saw on a Nova prog a scene of a meteor crater in Az. Think we'll go see it! Maybe PXLated has already been there? 

We have cheated to a degree. I'd been using my 2001 Ranger as a TV. It's old and too limited. I just traded her Nissan sedan on a 2013 Ford Escape with EcoBoost engine. Rated to tow 3000+ lbs. It is NOT simple but very comfortable and more roomy than the Ranger. My wife likes having her buns warmed in a heated seat. However, I am selling the Ranger to a friend and we'll simply have the one vehicle now. It's all we need. 

If I were to sum it up into a philosophy you could call it Simply T@Bified. B)

"Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    libertyo - Loved your post. Great contrasts. Mentioning "black water", I'm considering giving the Wag Bag method with Poo Powder a trial. They sent me a free sample pack. Having only gray water to deal with and trash canning the yuck seems inviting.
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
    Thanks KyPawpaw, I'll have to look up the WagBag thing.  It's my goal to never ever poo in the T@b, #1only!  But the dump station is definitely the not.much.fun part of convenience.   Photomom, so excited for you to get your brand new T@B!  You'll probably have the tank sensors factory installed in your new model.  And I won't be cooking bacon inside either!  Really enjoyed reading thru this thread.  We do share the love of outdoors and joy of T@b-ing!   
    "Bella"  2016 T@b maxs blue, towed by '18 Chevy Colorado ZR2 duramax diesel - yes NEW baby, accompanied by the Red dog
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    libertyo - Once you've done the dump a few times, no big deal. Probably less hassel than dealing with poo bags. Personally I can't imagine dealing with a poo bag every-single-time vs a dump staion every seven days or so.
  • leroybortleroybort Member Posts: 61
    Libertyo - You are so brave to use the potty and shower your first time out.  We're taking all things slow - no cooking inside yet, no using "the facilities" yet.  100% agreed - don't miss the tent at all (gonna get a quick set one and a screen room for more living space in season).  
    Sug@rsh@ck -  2016 Max S Outback, 2016 Nissan Pathfinder.  
    edited December 2015
    One word of warning about even crisping "camp" or even bought, pre-cooked bacon... the smoke alarm may be a bit touchy in some of the T@Bs :) . Camp bacon is a lot like the new pre-cooked bacon you can buy now. It's your favorite bacon brand baked in the oven to "almost" done with 90% of the grease is poured off, cooled, and then frozen in small portions. Just grab and go! (in keeping with the "simplify" philosophy theme).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • JoeJoe Member Posts: 72
    Libertyo -
    Well done!  Great description of your T@b adventure.
    We are neighbors!  Northwest Austin.
    ~ Joe
    2015 Max U Outback; 2011 Chevy Silverado 4X4; Austin, Tx
    Thanks leroybort for your vote of confidence! Ratkity, excellent thought, I'll have to look for that easy bacon option.  I use center cut bacon - less grease.  But inside my T@b, I simply crumbled the bacon (cooked outside the previous morning) into the skillet of scrambled eggs (fresh from my neighbor's yard birds).  Add cheese, delicious.   PXLated, how do you make the tiny water tanks last 7 days before you need to dump???  Is there a thread discussing water useage and tank capacities?  Can't seem to find more info on how to manage.  I'm worried about overfill of gray or black if I hook up to site water... My fresh tank was empty after an extended shower - yes, I purposefully used more water than necessary to see if it would run out.  Just tried to drain fresh water tank to ck on how much left - nearly empty!   I think I need the See Level sensors.  Eep, I'm hijacking this thread!
    Libertyo, in the philosophy of simplifying and water conservation, here's a link (that has a link within) that talks extensively about conserving water:

http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/3319/#Comment_3319

Center cut bacon crumbles in fresh eggs with cheese?  *drool* My kind of camping! (especially when my baby sis is the cook and I'm sponging off her excellent culinary skills)....
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Do you all want your T@Bs to smell like bacon forever? (Well, maybe some do.)
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
    Ratkity, thank you sooo much.  I swear I really did do a search first but obviously didn't know what I asking.  Geesh, with a tent you're always boondocking, that I know how to deal with.  Off to read the entire thread now.  Photomom, bacon and more bacon!!
  • RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Maple bacon? 
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
    Maple bacon? 
    MY FAV! (next to center cut)... or brown sugar and... nvm.. thread derail!