Options

SOLAR - Suitcases, Self Contained

Comments

• Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    PXLated................I also have the Zamp 120w system.   How many extra lengths of cable did you purchase to locate your panels that far away?  I bought one extra length (15 feet I think) but I'm not sure I could reach 35 feet away.   And do you notice any reduction in recharging capabilities with the longer cable?
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Consider it your workout? Eeep. I'm not sure my back could handle that though! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    TABalong - I made a 20 ft extension. Got the heavy-duty Zamp-style plugs on Amazon - the ones in auto parts stores are too light (16 gauge). The cable is 10 or 12 gauge landscape wire (Home Depot I recall). Don't notice any difference in performance at all even though reading threads here suggested I would.
    Even if there was a performance hit I'd use it - Without, I needed to always be aware of where I was going to set up - I was always driving through campgrounds analyzing site-by-site it's solar potential. Nice, shaded, tree-covered sites were out. The extension allows me more flex. For instance, right now I tucked nicely under some low hanging pine trees (best site in the campground) yet my panels are on the river bank catching full sun all day long.
  • Options
    PXL, thank you for the source of your wiring and what it's called. Good to know!! Storing away info here like a squirrel. :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity - Have no idea what the wiring is actually called - I was looking for dual/stranded 10-12 guage in the wiring section of hardware stores and just couldn't find any. One day I was passing through the landscape lighting section and noticed the wiring looked exactly like the Zamp cable - even had the ribbed/smooth sides. Unfortunately, they sold it in 100ft lengths. From that point out I knew what I was looking for and found that HomeDepot/Lowes/Menards (can't recall which) sold it by the foot bought 20 ft and was off and running.
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    I haven't noticed any lack of charging power either when I use my extension cable.   I agree it is nice when choosing a campsite to take into consideration other factors in addition to available sunshine.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    PXL and Norm.. great info. Thanks!
  • Options
    TABalong - There may be a slight drop - I'm not out there checking it with a voltmeter every ten minutes - like some would (you know who you are). It's just, like you, I don't notice any so as far as I'm concerned, there is none :-)
  • Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    PXLated said:
    How far are you planning on moving that unlocked, plugged-in suitcase? If set up relatively close to the plug, no big deal. Right now though, I'm tucked in under some trees so mine panels are 35 feet away - had to carry it under a low leaning limb and over to the river bank for full sun all day.
    PXL, If this question is for me,I guess I was not very clear. My 100 watt Renology suitcase is pretty compact and only a couple of inches thick. At 25 lbs. it is no problem to carry folded to where ever you wish to set up. I keep the 20 feet of cable connected to the panels and coiled between the two folded panels. All I do is open the panel, laying on top of the case, plug into the zamp plug, lean the panels back and adjust the legs if necessary. I was hoping 20 feet would be enough cable but I might need another 10 foot extension . Glad you did not have to swim the river with the Zamp suitcase handle clenched in your teeth!!! =)
    t
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    Wasn't directed at anyone in particular ;-)
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241

Talked to Zamp earlier in the week and they are hoping to have their Flexi Flat 100W panels available late Q1 or Q2 of 2016. Dimensions should be 20" x 42".

'17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Connected the Renogy 100W suitcase to an older battery this morning for the first time.  Everything appears to be working fine so far.  Volt meter shows 14.4 volts at the battery.

I ordered 25 ft. of 8 gauge wire (two runs for pos and neg) and built a new charge line to connect to the controller.  If 25 ft. ain't enough, I'll do without. :)  I also installed an inline fuse into which I inserted a 10A fuse.  Which brings up an interesting possible solution as to whether to plug in and set up first, or set up first then plug in.  Simply remove the fuse, do whichever you prefer, then reinsert the fuse.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RZRBUG - 25 ft won't be enough - You'll be adding another 25 once you find that choice spot under the trees with a great view just like I did :-)
  • Options
    Removing the fuse sounds simpler than carrying an open suitcase around.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Removing the fuse sounds simpler than carrying an open suitcase around.
    PXL, having a fuse is great, but how about an inline switch as well? Just flick a rocker switch.
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    PXL, having a fuse is great, but how about an inline switch as well? Just flick a rocker switch.
    Funny you should mention that because I had already bought a switch, but I didn't install it because it looks kinda puny.  Maybe I'll find another one.  Of course, will need to get one that will withstand exposure to the elements.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    edited December 2015
    For you by the book guys, I guess a switch or fuse will work - Since I haven't trashed my panels in 15 months, I'll just stick with plugging in and setting up ;-)
  • Options
    PXL, while theory is wonderful, there's nothing that can replace "in the field" observations of a product's heavy user. Your experience (and others) is fabulous to hear.  I'm glad you and others are here!! Keep that good stuff coming and and know what you are seeing and experiencing is important.
  • Options
    I'm not saying to throw caution to the wind but there's many matress tag type things in the world :-)
  • Options
    Noooooo! Not the mattress tag! Or the steel warning thingies that were connected to my tow chains, or the pillow tags, what about the hairdryer warning tags (I have to stop using it in the bathtub, really ;) ). 
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited December 2015
    I am going to venture that the lower the wattage of your set-up, the less likely it is that you will have a problem. Same, I am guessing, would be true of the current sun conditions. I think if you are using 200w or more, and especially if you are setting up under sunny conditions, I would just make sure that I plugged into the battery first. I know when I had my 200w set-up, I could tell a difference at higher altitudes under strong sun. Fusing the line is never a terrible idea, but I am not so sure I would go to the trouble of a switch. It is not even really an inconvenience to plug into the battery before deploying, just a matter of sequence.

There are a number of variables that play into this (incoming charge from panel relative size of the controller, etch..), but in essence, the solar controller is, to some degree like a floodgate, and not releasing the energy by not connecting it to the battery can fry your controller, among other things.

The warning is valid and you follow oe disregard at your own risk.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    @jkjenn, what are you using now if not the 200 watt?
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    I choose to ignore that type of warning. I don't care how much voltage is present at the panel, a good controller will be an open circuit until a battery is connected and it's built in logic says too charge it. If you read about your controller they do have a battery cut off built in. So what's the difference if the controller disconnects the battery or I do? So far my 200 watts mounted on the roof have not damaged anything and I do cut out the battery when in storage. I know the panels don't get direct sun when in storage but I often have the battery disconnected while toeing home from storage. Logic and a degree in electronics tells me the warning is a scape goat. YMMV
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    RZRBUG - Found a great little BLM spot on the Colorado tucked under some trees. Little path from the T@B down to a sandy beach. Without that extra cable, I wouldn't be getting enough solar to make deployment worthwhile. Would have to haul out the genny. Just wait and see, you'll be adding an extender cable :-)
  • Options
    normfun said:
    ...a good controller will be an open circuit until a battery is connected and it's built in logic says too charge it. If you read about your controller they do have a battery cut off built in...
    Thanks, Norm.  I guess my concern would be is the controller that comes with the 100W Renogy suitcase that I bought a "good" one?  I'll give the manual a good read and see if there is any mention of a battery cut off being built in.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    PXLated said:
    RZRBUG - Found a great little BLM spot on the Colorado tucked under some trees. Little path from the T@B down to a sandy beach. Without that extra cable, I wouldn't be getting enough solar to make deployment worthwhile. Would have to haul out the genny. Just wait and see, you'll be adding an extender cable :-)
    I have already spliced the 25 ft. I bought to the cable that came with it. :)  I don't know how many total feet that is, but seriously, if that isn't enough, I'll drag out the generator until moving time.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RZRBUG - my original was 20-25 ft and I doubled that. The original was just too limiting. I thought you were stuck at the original length - Somehow I missed that you extended it :-(
    With 40-50 one should be just fine.
  • Options
    @jkjenn, what are you using now if not the 200 watt?
    The 200w Renogy  (2-100w panels) were just too heavy and bulky so I have aeveral Goal Zero Boulder 15w panels daisy chained together. The are very light and well made. I use their Guardian charge controller, which is no longer made. They are going to be releasing a new charge controller in 2016. I will be interested to see if they offer more of a variety of panels, too.

I am likely going to pick up 2, 100w flexible panels when Renogy starts making them, again and use a Victron MPPT charge controller.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    15 15 watt panels (200 watts) would cost over $1,200 to match renology 200 watt (I've seen kits on eBay is less than $300).  I'd add wheels to the bottom of the renology and roll them into place for that much price differential.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    mash2 said:
    15 15 watt panels (200 watts) would cost over $1,200 to match renology 200 watt (I've seen kits on eBay is less than $300).  I'd add wheels to the bottom of the renology and roll them into place for that much price differential.
    I picked them up refurbished and in CL and EBay, so I wasn't paying full price and I picked them up a couple at a time while I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do. Once I get the set up I want I will keep a couple for charging other things and sell some. I can guarantee, I didn't come close to spending that much. I got one 30 watt for dirt cheap on CL (1/4 going rate.) I probably have $300 or less into it and these are lighter than, for example Renogy 100w panels.

The GZ panels are really phenomenal so well made and lightweight as well as extremely efficient. Unfortunately, I don't like the size of the 90w panel they make, so I will be going a different route.  Yes, I might have been able to outright purchase a package cheaper, but I had not decided and this was a good feasible interim solution.