Options

head bump guard and other interior mods

I'm a new owner; also my first post.  I have been reading the forum for a while to get ideas before my purchase.

After my first one-night check-out trip, these are the interior modifications I have made to my 2016 Max U Outback.  Most of my travels will be one person, three dogs (one big dog, two little dogs).

1.  Added a pool noodle to the bottom edge of the back cabinets to cushion accidental head bumps.  I used the smaller diameter of the available pool noodles from Wal-mart.  I had to practice on a few short sections to find acceptable angles to cut out a section out of the noodle for installation.  It is attached to the bottom of the cabinets using Command Strips.  Photos below.

2. Completely removed the sofa back, hinge and seat cushions of the sofa.  Replaced with a new plywood base for a twin bed.  Used 1x4 boards on top of existing 2x4s to raise the underneath side of the plywood above the Alde unit. The boards going side to side are continuous.  The boards going front to back have gaps to allow for some air circulation between the underneath areas.  I plan on using the twin bed with two side-bench configuration setup almost all of the time.

3. Removed the bench cushions and covered benches with the interlocking foam floor mats, plus extended the foam mats up the walls for added protection from dirt rub-off from dog coats.  The big dog sleeps on her dog bed on the bench under the driver's side window.  For my seating on the other bench I have a portable cushion that I will use.  One small dog sleeps on the floor; the other on the bed.

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Welcome aboard!

It sounds like you have made some great mods to meet your particular needs.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    Welcome from another relative newbie. I'd love to see more pictures showing your bed and bench arrangements. Our 90lb dog is currently sleeping with us on the stock bed.
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Welcome..   Thanks for the pics... We all love pics... 
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    SilverEagleJCSilverEagleJC Member Posts: 24
    Here is a photo with the cabinet open.

• Options
    Here are pictures of the modified sofa area and the benches.  Good news -- I learned how to make the pictures smaller.    :-)  

I have tried to describe the process from the bottom up, but I did not take a picture before I started the first step.  I hope you find it interesting.

1. To remove the sofa back, there are four screws on each side that attached the hinge to the supporting 2x4.  Remove the screws.  The are also 4 screws on each side that hold the back cusion to the upper part of the hinge.  These do not have to be removed to get the sofa back out, but you can remove them if you want to separate the back cushion from the hinges.

2. 1x4s on top of 2x4s to support plywood above Alde on the passenger half. (This is similar to the how the seat cushions were made with the 1x2s attached to the bottom of the plywood base of the cushions.) Side to side length cut to 69 1/2".  I wanted to leave a gap on each end to allow some air flow.

3. 1x4s on top of 2x4s to support plywood above Alde on the driver side half. 

4. Back piece of plywood, 69 1/2" x 14".  The black foam pieces are spacers to leave a gap between back cabinet and side walls.  Dual purpose-- allow some air flow and keep the plywood from scratching the wall surfaces.

5. Two front pieces of plywood, each 34 3/4" x 25".  The foam pieces are spacers.  I still have to add "pull-up" straps (or some kind of handle) for lifting the plywood pieces to access storage.  

Also, there is a 1x2 on top of the front 1x4 that keeps the plywood from shifting forward.

6. Covered with interlocking mats.  The back seam matches the seam between the back and front plywood pieces, so it will bend upwards when lifting to access storage.  The total width of the mats is 69 1/2".   I still have to cut the front center mat along the seam between the two front plywood pieces--- waiting to make sure I like the configuration before I make the cut.

7. The driver's side bench area.  Added foam mats; did not change benches.

8. The passenger side bench area. Added foam mats; did not change benches.

• Options
    EWizardEWizard Member Posts: 106
    My 6'2" self would never fit sideways.  Looks great though!
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Looks nice. I am curious why you replaced the sofa - is this more comfy?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Looks like you made it very functional for your needs.  I need space for two (I like it that way :) ), or I would consider doing the same, removing the sofa and putting a better mattress back there.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    EWizard- Thanks. I'm short, so I guess this is one of the benefits -- I do fit.   :-)

Photomom - Thanks.  I knew that I wanted to use the "twin" bed size (70"x39") and not have to setup and take down each day.  Plus, while sleeping my back kept finding the length-wise dip between back and seat cushions;and, my hip bones kept finding the dip between the two seat cushions.  So, the change was for comfort and convenience.  I'm using a high-density foam base with a regular foam and memory foam topper as the mattress.   I like the firm, even support the plywood base provides.  I also think it visually makes the space feel bigger by opening up the sight line to the back wall.

Cyclonic- Thanks.  Now, I can have the dogs sit on the benches up and out of the foot path  when all of us (two feet and twelve paws) are inside. :-)

I camped over the 4th and it worked great.  My next mod is to add lots of Command Strip wall hooks to get as many things off of horizontal surfaces as possible. Vertical space is going to be my new best friend in the Tab.  :-)

Happy camping!

• Options
    Mariner459Mariner459 Member Posts: 146
    edited August 2016
    Yes, great mods. As for command strips, you may want to search for the post on command strips and bubbling of the wallpaper.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I need a head bump guard for the fan knob. I was thinking about Sugru.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I believe that the one bubble I have happened because something heavy was pulling on a command hook in very hot (96+) weather, while the camper was sitting on the driveway. I haven't seen any other problems, and I only put things on the hooks while we're actually using the trailer. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Dave28Dave28 Member Posts: 40
    Thank you for sharing your mods!  I definitely want to give your pool noodle idea a try!
  • Options
    Updates about the head bump guard:

1.  I had used one long piece of the pool noodle and a shorter piece for the rest of the length.  The long piece would be easily unattached when swipe by my knee when in bed.   I then cut the longer piece into two shorter pieces and the shorter pieces stayed in place better. 

2. But, then I upgraded my mattress configuration with additional foam, now there is not a lot of extra room between my head and the bottom of the cabinets, so I have removed the noodle altogether.   
  • Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
  • Options
    TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    Ramrod said:
    These work for me....
    How do they work though? I'm still seeing enough wood right next to them to give you a serious bump on the head. 

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Tommy said:
    Ramrod said:
    These work for me....
    How do they work though? I'm still seeing enough wood right next to them to give you a serious bump on the head. 

He might have hit his head so hard, he doesn't remember :wink:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Ramrod, Did you hit your head so hard you saw stars and that's what gave you the inspiration for the mod? :o
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    This is called classical conditioning.  I banged my head good about 5 times and now even in a sleep induce stupor I slide down the bed before sitting up.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    lapowers57, The duck and roll method works best for me. One goose egg, and I learned!
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    WAIT, WAIT! I got it! Duct tape and bubble wrap, make a helmet! The "POP" sound will wake you up and REMIND you to duck! =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I was going to suggest a bike helmet as essential evening gear
  • Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    Those stars glow in the dark and help to remind you to slow down. Lapowers57 is absolutely right.