Options

Gray water totes

Wondering what types of gray water totes T@bbers out there have found most useful and functional given the low ground clearance of our gray and black water drains?  Seems I saw a DIY solution on the forum once, but can't locate it.

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have one that I'd sell you!  I think it's a 15 gallon...I'd have to check. 

But, I actually did find that with the size of our tanks, having a gray water tote doesn't help that much. Since I don't want to put black tank waste in the portable tank, I may as well hitch up and go on to the RV dump to dump both tanks. I could use a gallon jug to drain a gallon at a time from the gray tank to flush the toilet with, to help the gray water tank from filling as quickly. Solo traveler here and I can get 7 days out of the black tank, but only 4 days out of the gray tank. Of course, that means I am filling the fresh water with a few gallons of fresh water every day. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    I use a 16 quart oil drip pan that usually fits nicely under the grey water area, when laying flat. 

Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I opted for 2 smaller tanks (either 5 or 6 gallons), which makes them a little easier to handle and lift into the TV than a larger one.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    I use a 12 gallon Thetford. Anything larger would be too difficult to handle. Easy to use. Just fill, tie to rear of tv and drive slowly to dump station where you dump like you would the T@B.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/thetford-smarttote-portable-waste-holding-tank-12-gallon-2-wheel/33363
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Have watched people hauling the totes in campgrounds. Always seemed like a pain in the rear. Almost as much hassel as just hooking up and hauling the T@B over :-)
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    I guess that if you didn't have to climb back up on that stack of blocks it would be easier.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    :lol:

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    edited September 2016
    I recently used my 15 gallon Tote and Store tank for the first time. I would drain my gray tank way before it was full to make the tote lighter. Maybe about 6 to 8  gallons worth of gray water. Hooking it up to my TV and going to the dump, for me, was extremely easy. I only dump gray water into the tote. P.S. This is the first time I've posted a photo to the forum. I hope that I resized it properly. If not, administration, please delete. 
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    PXLated said:
    Have watched people hauling the totes in campgrounds. Always seemed like a pain in the rear. Almost as much hassel as just hooking up and hauling the T@B over :-)
    I keep the 2 grey water totes until I dump. The 11 gallon grey tank and 2 five gallon tanks lasts me 2 weeks. It is not difficult, at all, especially since I can easily pick mine up without too much difficulty. It really makes it worth it not to have to move boondocking sites within those 2 weeks and allows a shower every other day.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,510
    Jenn, My goal is to figure out a system for 2 people boondocking for 2 weeks.  The gray tank conservation is workable, but not so sure about the black tank!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    razntwnrazntwn Member Posts: 26
    @jkjenn which ones do you use; I like the smaller ones idea.  Where do you store while waiting to dump if in bear area or are they air tight?
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    lennscottfl - Wouldn't be that extreme (if any) in a campground with a dump station :-)
    Here I went for the view no matter the stack. Up high, clear view of sunrise over rugged terrain and clear view of sunset over an endless meadow.
  • Options
    SAM said:
    Jenn, My goal is to figure out a system for 2 people boondocking for 2 weeks.  The gray tank conservation is workable, but not so sure about the black tank!
    WAG bags. :)

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,510
    Yes, That or an earlier than planned dump trip.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    razntwn said:
    @jkjenn which ones do you use; I like the smaller ones idea.  Where do you store while waiting to dump if in bear area or are they air tight?

Barker, 5 gallons. I got them on sale at Adventure RV.