Options

Transporting Firewood across national and International borders

wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
edited November 2016 in Camping & Travel
We use Firewood as a primary heating source at home, so I've almost always had it available to bring camping.  Last year when we camped on Vancouver island, I bought kiln dried wood with us as they don't want any bugs etc to cross borders.

Long story short, customs confiscated it.  All 6 bundles!  They said only manufactured logs (I.e. compressed sawdust presto logs) were allowed.

I read on another thread someone was able to get store bought kiln dried wood into the US...!

Is this a one-way policy, or perhaps that particular customs agent we used was misinformed?  Anyone else tried this?
T@@bulous
2014 T@B CS Maxx
TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
Martha Lake, WA

Comments

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Washington State doesn't even want you to transport firewood within the state.  We have a place on each side of the mountains, and don't move wood between them, even though we have a great supply at one place.  The area has destructive beetles so we leave them on the east side.

http://www.invasivespecies.wa.gov/council_projects/firewood.shtml
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Fir some reason I just can't my head around a FlameGenie - The concept is like a gas fireplace with fake logs to me.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    When we camped at Golden Ears near Vancouver BC, several of the campers used propane fired campfires.  If I didn't have a fire ring, I'd use my Volcano II, or my Wood Gas XL stove.  At least they still burn real wood ;). But that's just me.  You won't find a natural gas fireplace in my house.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    There are no restrictions to transporting Firewood between eastern and western Washington.  I make trips to Wenatchee each year to bring over cherry and apple Firewood that sells for less than half the cost of alder in western WA.  Several companies sell orchard scraps to Seattle.

Any recommended restrictions come from activist agendas.  If there were a legitimate and credible threat, they would ban transport.

They do restrict any Firewood transport to Idaho or Oregon however.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    I've been in many areas where you couldn't bring any wood into the camping area, you had to buy local wood - usually available at the host site or right outside the campground.
  • Options
    I associate fires with weekenders/vacationers. Tenters though are big on fires. Rarely see "travelers" or long-termers with fires. 
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    There are two different issues here. One is transporting between states or within a state. Kiln-dried wood may be ok for most of those areas (even those areas with green-emerald ashborer).

The transportation into the country is covered under importation laws and they are stricter. Wood pallets, wooden crates, etc are not allowed to be transported unless they are treated a certain way. Unfortunately, wood, soil and some of those pretty horticulture plants for your yard from other countries have caused plant disease outbreaks that have decimated entire food industries in the U.S. 

I'm sorry your wood was confiscated at the border. It was probably premium dried firewood too!! :(

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Apparently, I could get a "certificate" that shows the wood was heat-treated properly and inspected.  But this is designed more for commercial transporting.

Thankfully we'd only paid 3 bucks a pack from our local Winco so we were only out 18 bucks. 

My wife was more upset we had to toss our apples and grapes (she was pregnant at the time with twins), but we just laugh when we think about it now B). She was adamant our children would get the grapes so she quickly ate them while they processed our entry. 
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    LOL ah, the fruits and veggie confiscations. It's funny she ate the grapes so fast! Hope she didn't make herself sick.. lol.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Yep, same here in canada.  They ask you not to travel with fire wood, but 45 feet truck trailer move the wood from 1 corner of the province to the other, from logging site to saw mils.  Same accross the Maine and Quebec border from logging site to saw mills.

so go figure.

i do understand the danger of contamination, but it seams to be more dangerous from little pack of wood than from open logging trucks traveling the roads.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    @wizard1880 -- border agents on either side of the border have broad discretion as to what they can allow or disallow, unfortunately that makes it confusing for travelers.  I just try to minimize anything that might raise a question.  Once I was visiting a friend in BC and on the return trip, the US CBP agent confiscated my dog's food (which I originally bought in Washington) because it wasn't in the original packaging.  BC has had horrendous problems with insect infestations that have decimated forests, leading to the horrific wildfires they've had in recent years.  I can totally understand why they would be wary of firewood being imported. 
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    We don't transport any firewood in Ontario Canada either..just like I would never try to bring wood from our province to another province..if we decide to have a fire we buy locally. Even when we are in the United States...we don't transport firewood.
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Buy it where you burn it. Transporting can be detrimental to local forests. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Little Red Campfire ;propane campfire) is so much easier.  I just have to remember to have the 10 lb propane cylinder filled. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    Not even country borders.  Every state park (numerous) we have stayed in frown on campers bringing in their own wood.   As a previous environmental invasive treatment manager it’s just a bad idea.  We used to spend and make millions on the invasive creature and folklife battle.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Verna said:
    Little Red Campfire ;propane campfire) is so much easier.  I just have to remember to have the 10 lb propane cylinder filled. 
    Yep! Love that little guy! 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    @verna...another thing to carry JIC... I'll come visit your site but will bring our own chairs😀
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ontheroad, being a seasoned solo camper, I always have at least two chairs out (to give the impression that I’m not solo), so you can just bring one👍 And since I’m a red wine gal, if you want what you bring for Allison, I have cups/stemless wine glasses to drink your choice of adult beverages.😂. Sunny Day and Guido stick to the bottled water😉

Did Allison ever get her elusive peach flavored?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @verna....yes she did and we were stocked and ready to bring across the border but we all know what happened there...will bring more when we come stateside again, Frank has been nipping into the stock...lol...and yes our 1 litre NuCamp containers travel with us...thanks for that hint too..more wine can now be brought with us..see ya in 2021!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    nhmikenhmike Member Posts: 94
    all these silly regulations are meant to protect the forests we all love.  As AirBoss posted above "Buy it where you burn it. Transporting can be detrimental to local forests".  I can't agree more. Do some capitalist campground owners take advantage of of the extra profit.  Probably.   But there's something to be said for the peace of mind knowing that I haven't spread a potential problem.   The early morning fire, the after dinner communal fire are some of the best times of camping.  I honestly don't remember how much I paid for the wood.
    2016 cs-s max
  • Options
    Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    Speaking from experience with BC (provincial) parks and Pacific Rim National Park, the firewood they sell at the campgrounds is usually terrible (fire proof). The best and cheapest camping firewood that is safe to transport anywhere in Canada is from Canadian Tire: seasoned, kiln dried birch.
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Love Canadian tire! 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 180
    To be honest, I just got tired of the whole, can I bring firewood or not? is there a burn ban or not? where can I buy it? can I forage for it at the campground (and say hello to a copperhead in the process)?  So I finally just went out and bought a Little Red Campfire gas firepit and bring a 5 gal LP tank. Haven't really missed it since. Fast, simpel and convenient. I can always smell the wood burning from someone else's campfire close by. :) 
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • Options
    Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    @rcarlson1957 - gas firepits are also great because they are allowed when conditions are too dry and there is a fire ban. It just feels odd to camp without any fire at all!
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    MischiefBrewingMischiefBrewing Member Posts: 26
    Up here in the Northeast US, state border firewood restrictions are clearly communicated, but I've seen very little enforcement beyond them asking a question and expecting honesty.

The only exception to the lax enforcement was Baxter State Park in Maine.  They do a vehicle inspection (including trailer measurements) and don't allow ANY wood to enter the park, even if you just collected it from the clear-cut logging site just down the road...
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    Baxter is a unique place. Despite the name it is not a state park in the normal sense in that it has its own rules, administration, and governance. I've only tented there (and that was a while ago) but I am aware of the strictly enforced vehicle size restrictions.

Interesting about the wood, @MischiefBrewing. Friends we used to go there with would tow in a small utility trailer with two-weeks worth of firewood. If they were not allowing any in, were they at least selling (or otherwise providing) firewood in the campground?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ColoradoSunColoradoSun Member Posts: 134
    The further one transports firewood either internationally, interstate or even intrastate the greater the risk of also transporting destructive insects or disease from an infected area to an uninfected area.
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
    SW Colorado
  • Options
    MischiefBrewingMischiefBrewing Member Posts: 26
    ScottG said:
    Baxter is a unique place. Despite the name it is not a state park in the normal sense in that it has its own rules, administration, and governance. I've only tented there (and that was a while ago) but I am aware of the strictly enforced vehicle size restrictions.

Interesting about the wood, @MischiefBrewing. Friends we used to go there with would tow in a small utility trailer with two-weeks worth of firewood. If they were not allowing any in, were they at least selling (or otherwise providing) firewood in the campground?

They were selling $3 bundles at the ranger station with a money drop box since the ranger is rarely there.