T@B insurance

SebastianSebastian Member Posts: 23
edited April 2022 in Trailer & Towing
Should I have trailer insurance all year or just when I'm traveling?  I have auto with GEICO and had Farmers for both auto and trailer.  I became very unhappy with Farmers.  One reason was the lack of information about the coverage on my T@B. I've been lucky and no claims.  Would someone give me some direction before I go to GEICO\?. 
Red and white T@B CS max S  TV 2011 Subaru Forester.

Comments

• Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    Progressive 35 a month for my t@b...
    Full replacement .
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    We have American Family, and it includes roadside assistance including towing if needed. Not sure of our rate yet, don't quite have our T@b yet. I think she quoted about $15/month. They have our HO and AU too.

2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    State farm, about $9 per month with 250 deductible.  Doubt I have full replacement coverage but it's paid off anyway.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • TweedrvrTweedrvr Member Posts: 122
    Received a call from Camper's World about extended warranty insurance on my T@B. Does anyone have insurance beyond the usual comprehensive and collision, etc?  Thank you.
    martha in Vermont beginning to get camping fever.
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Tweedrvr - Extended Warranties are the same as general insurance like you'd have on a car. Not too many here that I've seen have bit on the extended warranty pitch.
  • edahle0618edahle0618 Member Posts: 13
    I would have it all year. If it includes roadside assistance, that is a nice bonus.
  • Me_and_My_DogMe_and_My_Dog Member Posts: 184
    I just got my T@B insured today though USAA, where I have my auto insurance, and I'm so happy to report that it's only about $12 a month, which includes full replacement, towing and roadside assistance, and virtually no deductible. 
    Katt and Miss Cannoli the Zen Dog
    2008 DM T@DA — Towed by 2014 Dodge Durango — Full time since 6/29/17
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    I agree with having it all year.  There are other hazards besides what happens on the road that insurance should cover.  I have mine through my insurance company.  I have saved money by having one insurance company carry all my insurance for my house, cars, RVs, umbrella, etc.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
    Since I'm full-time, I have the T@B insured thru BlueSky which specializes in RVs, Campers - It's more than a basic insurance policy, more like homeowners insurance.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    PXLated said:
    Since I'm full-time, I have the T@B insured thru BlueSky which specializes in RVs, Campers - It's more than a basic insurance policy, more like homeowners insurance.
    I have mine through Nationwide and got it to cover the actual replacement cost, not just current value, plus contents.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Same with mine - Plus adders/riders for things like my classic bass :-)
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Ok PXL, I can't resist. Did 'ya get a rider for yer skivvies too?
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

You keep assuming I wear skivvies. You know what they say about assuming.
    Well, Go Mr. Commando GO! :o
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

Probably a good thing 'ya don't wear 'em. In the winds you were in they would act like a parachute for your 3:00 am propane tank changes! Up, up, and away! =)
    Spokane, Wa.

ericandliz - I think those would be called bloomers rather than skivvies.
  • dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    I have insurance through Good Sam, National General.  Full coverage, full replacement.  $17 per month.
    Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

• VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    Several have said they have "replacement cost" and "full replacement cost" coverage.   Most probably know, but if you don't be aware that this only means, usually, insurance company will pay you what a similarly equiped trailer of the same or similar model year can be purchased for.  You don't get a brand new one.   Newer ones are more easily priced, older ones not so much.  Hope you never have this problem. 
    Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

Here is what my insurance says about my replacement policy...Progressive...

You may have paid extra for this "unusual" coverage...
    If you did not pay extra...good job choosing insurance company! 
    I put out an inquiry to a friend at Progressive...free or extra money? 

All of their policies are described clearly on  the website....no need for an agent....why it's cheaper...

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Nice Deltaboy! They also have better insurance for motorcycles too and my car insurance company is supreme.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    I have the same full new replacement insurance.  We use Wayfarers.  They were, by far, the easiest insurance company to deal with that I've EVER had to work with.  I pay $35/months (Canadian, so $26 US$)
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    Met Amy from wayfarers at the Ottawa RV show today. We will be insuring our soon to arrive outback with them. Agree 100% with LauraRey on this. Entirely pleasant, excellent coverage and inexpensive! 
    James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    hymie said:
    Met Amy from wayfarers at the Ottawa RV show today. We will be insuring our soon to arrive outback with them. Agree 100% with LauraRey on this. Entirely pleasant, excellent coverage and inexpensive! 
    Amy rocks. :)  Seriously.  
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
    Deltaboy...My friend at Progressive Claims Dept says "I will say this does cost more than a typical ACV value policy and I believe by a good amount."  (ACV = actual cash value, what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller).  
    If you ever need to be paid for a stolen unrecovered trailer or one that rolled over a few times or one that a tree crashed through the 'full total loss replacement" policy would be helpful, thus what appears to be an extra cost policy would be well worth it.  But how often does this happen???
    Remember insurance companies are not in business to be generous, if you want absolute best price get several price qoutes.   

• TCretroTCretro Member Posts: 33
    I used to have my Outback insured through State Farm but I just changed to Farm Bureau with house and car insurance. My agent said the Tab Outback would fall under my home insurance when at home or camping. When being towed he said it would fall under car insurance. I don't have actual policies yet so I am going to check on this again before I start off for the season.
    2017 Outback, TV is now a 2018 Ram Eco Diesel
    edited February 2017
    TCretro - I'd definetly check that.
    Luckily I've not had many claims in my life but one tends to forget that your agent is a sales guy/guy but in most cases, you won't be working with that smiley familiar face you know, it'll be an adjuster - and in many cases an independent depending on where you are. Their job is to settle for the abosolute least they can. Their commissions/bonuses depend on it.
    You won't really know how good your policy is or how good the insurance compay is till you need to make a claim.
    PXLated...agree with most of what you said. 
    However I spent 37 years as a claims guy, front line and mgmt, property and casualty including medical malpractice.  Never got a bonus or commission or paid one or heard of one for a claims settlement (does not mean they don't exist).  Guidance given me, and given by me, suggested fairness, not "absolute least" amount possible.
    But as we all know what is fair to you may not seem fair to me.  Newer, more data driven evaluation programs collect all the prices from all the papers and average those prices, at least for property damage, so adjusters have less ability to apply their judgment to situations (if they want to keep the boss happy). 
    Best advice...avoid the need to use your insurance!  But if you do, and don't get satisfaction from adjuster, talk to the boss (and document all communications)!
    Kim