Options

How fast do you pull your T@B?

2»

Comments

• Options
    kenclunkkenclunk Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for all the info everyone.

Our tow vehicle is a 2016 Honda Pilot AWD. Around 5k weight, with 280hp v6. Certainly not a beast, but no slouch either. 

Without any trailer on our cross country trips we usually go right around 70-80. Actually cruise is set to 79 most of it. I expect just based on comfort that we'd reduce that to 60-70 generally but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a specific limitation with tire or axels etc.

Appreciate everyone's insights! 
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    As others do, I keep to 60-65 MPH, usually closer to 60, and plan my trips to make use of US highways when it is practical.  I have found those routes are much more scenic, are very often more direct, and it automatically keeps my, and everyone else's, speeds to those levels.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    In CA - trucks, campers, trailers - the posted speed on freeways is 55 ... Kind of nice not having speed deamons bearing down on ya.
  • Options
    Rolltide82Rolltide82 Member Posts: 89
  • Options
    Me_and_My_DogMe_and_My_Dog Member Posts: 184
    55 or 60. No speed demon here. 
    Katt and Miss Cannoli the Zen Dog
    2008 DM T@DA — Towed by 2014 Dodge Durango — Full time since 6/29/17
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    With the 205 75/15s on mine they're rated 65 mph, but ill exceed occasionally when making a pass.

I wouldn't sustain over 65 since the centrifugal forces slowly tear the tread away from the tire, not only the heat.  I'd run LT tires in a second if I could get a size that fits.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    warren207warren207 Member Posts: 46
    I find that 62 is the most fuel efficient speed without going too slow. I also am not in a hurry and love to take in the scenery. 
    Sara & Mike/2020 AVIA #0066/Denver, CO
    2014 Toyota Sequoia
  • Options

warren207 said: Also am not in a hurry and love to take in the scenery. 

I'd love to hear you repeat this after towing 100s of miles through Idaho or Montana, you'll wish you could drive twice the speed limit just to make it end... :o
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

warren207 said: Also am not in a hurry and love to take in the scenery. 

I'd love to hear you repeat this after towing 100s of miles through Idaho or Montana, you'll wish you could drive twice the speed limit just to make it end... :o

Imagine the ticked off drivers in Texas as they come up on me driving no more than 65 mph in an 85 mph zone!  I guess a lot of people wave using one finger only......
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    I thought that "one-finger" wave was a special thumbs up for tear drop owners!  :blush:
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Wait until you get the "hand". That's a whole flock of 1 fingers!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I lived in TX for 5 years while doing my post-doc. Many of the rural backroads have huge full-lane sized shoulders. It is expected that campers, tractors or slower vehicles move over onto the shoulder so faster folks can pass. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 160
    I drive the speed limit and try to stay out of the way. 70 mph is my upper limit but 65 is much better for gas mileage and I love it when that is the posted limit. I tow with a Toyota Highlander Hybrid and love to get better gas milage by driving smoothly and safely. 90% of drivers think they're better than average.
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @wizard1880, my husband and me worked for a (boat) trailer company for approx 17 years. Your tires may hold the 65 mile/hr rating, but the rest of your suspension probably does not. The speed rating of your trailer is based on many things including ratios between metal stress on bearings, bolts, axle, frame and all connectors. Coupler ratings included also. Most discussions on this forum seem to focus on tire ratings and most people upgrade their tires with no regard to other factors. NHTSA ratings are determined with all factors in mind. Most forum participants would caution a newbie not to tow with a vehicle rated @ 1500/2000 lbs. The same goes with speed. The top speed rating of your t@b is its top rating. All factors have been considered to attain this rating. Safety always to all. To answer the initial tag line, we do 60/62. Never more, even downhill.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    Besides, I have always believed that special single fingered wave was other people's way of telling me I'm number 1 in their eyes!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    To each their own.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    TulsaTimeTulsaTime Member Posts: 21
    Trailer tires have a far different load on them than car tires.  They are only rated for 60 to 65mph.  If you exceed that you may trash out your wheel well if not much worse.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Fully agree.

If you plan to tow faster for sustained periods of time, you'll need to outfit your trailer with LT tires.  Sizing starts at 16" so that leaves us out.

A trailer "speed limit" is strictly for liability purposes with no basis in published or tested  fact.  U-haul does this to protect themselves legally, for example.

Now I wouldn't go out and try triple digits with a trailer, lol, but any trailer on the market today is capable of 65 mph sustained, from an engineering standpoint.  You'd see a whole lot more trailer wrecks otherwise!
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726

wizard1880 said: hi

Fully agree.

If you plan to tow faster for sustained periods of time, you'll need to outfit your trailer with LT tires.  Sizing starts at 16" so that leaves us out.

A trailer "speed limit" is strictly for liability purposes with no basis in published or tested  fact.  U-haul does this to protect themselves legally, for example.

Now I wouldn't go out and try triple digits with a trailer, lol, but any trailer on the market today is capable of 65 mph sustained, from an engineering standpoint.  You'd see a whole lot more trailer wrecks otherwise!

The General Grabbers are light truck and go down to 14 inch.  Happy so far with them on the Outback.  I pull at 70 and they stay cool. Had them in snow this winter, they followed right along and even backed up great into a foot if fresh
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    Wow... nice find!   With the trend to these giant wheels on every new truck nowadays, I figured they were a goner for sure.

I had 14" Michelin LTX M/S tires on my old 1988 Toyota pickup waaaay back in the day.  Best tires I ever owned and they seem to be very popular for trailer use nowadays (of course in 16" and larger.....)
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Makes me wonder if I should buy a pair and store them.  Knowing my luck they'll be discontinued right before I need them. :)
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra