Options

Any solutions for the trailer stabilizer jack hitting the black tank valve?

drpprmtdrpprmt Member Posts: 117
edited April 2017 in Trailer & Towing
The jack on the left front of my 2017 hits the black tank drain valve.  Any solutions?

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @drpprmt, Question(s): Up position, down position, or just period?
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    Interesting.  I have a 2017 and mine comes close, but never hits it.  What part of the valve is it hitting?

Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Post up some photos as it will make things easier to evaluate.   
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Here is a pix.  I have tried rotating the valve and the jack base but I am always forcing something.  I know these valves are somewhat delicate and don't want to break it.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Wow! Thanks for the photo. That looks like an accident waitin' to happen. @Michigan_Mike, @Verna, @Cyclonic, or anyone else, thoughts? Recommendations? Thanks for sharing, wonder if anyone else has this situation. Only speaking for myself, and a 2016 model, mine is no where near that close/touching!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Z_GZ_G Member Posts: 38
    Mine can touch on a 2016 cs-s.  Typically in the pass by... the foot on stabilizer tilts to pass... but i try to make sure they have clearance... its the unset where they can bind.  Doesn't the handle on black tank sit or turn vertical, the foot to the stabilizer can angle about 45deg... with that configuration there should be enough space to avoid a disaster... I use a drill to lower stabilizer... just watch the foot on stabilizet to valve clearance especially when raising the stabilizer 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Mine does that since my one sewer Pipe mod. When my stabilizer gets close, I reach down, flip the foot upside down on the stabilizer and then crank it up. If your foot is too tight to do this, grab a wrench and loosen the foot just a wee bit. It does take timing and a bit of patience to work with this, but it'll be fine. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    Our new 2017 Outback does the same thing. Need a fix.
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
  • Options
    I sent in a warranty request.  We'll see what happens and keep everyone informed.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I just do not crank it up tight. Never been a serious concern.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Jfrost6Jfrost6 Member Posts: 11
    My 2017 CS-S does the exact same thing!!
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Perhaps you can unscrew the plastic T handle off its metal post (I assume its threaded), then cut a little off the plastic handle to bring the "T" closer to the valve itself (see yellow circle for area to cut).  You may also have to cut the metal post a little. 
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I bet if you rotate the black valve handle half of Saturn so that it is in an up and down (more peeps similar than parallel) it will clear.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    LagerLager Member Posts: 6
    I have the same problem with my 2017 Outback. I'm going to try to replace the bolt on the stabilizer with a removable pin. That way I should be able to remove the stabilizer foot so I can crank it down past the drain valve.
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    My valve will hit the foot if it is rotated wrong.  The foot also articulates , so it is usually just a matter of rotating the valve handle a bit.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410

db_cooper said:

My valve will hit the foot if it is rotated wrong.  The foot also articulates , so it is usually just a matter of rotating the valve handle a bit.

Same hear, in our case no big deal.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    I filled out a warranty request Monday and heard from nuCamp today.  They are sending out a new jack pad that is modified to clear the valve handle.  They asked for pictures and measurements and were very thorough in investigating this problem.  After owning many other RV's I can not say enough about the warranty process from nuCamp.  This is by far the best I have ever been treated and the fastest that an issue has ever been successfully resolved.  In my opinion, these guys are the best!
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    I know that the foot of my jack will touch the handle if is is horizontal.  I just rotate it to the vertical position and the foot clears.  Looking at your photo yours is much closer then mine.  I would just whack it with a big hammer but going the warranty route is probably a better way to go  ;^).  Seriously though you could loosen all the bolts the hold the jack to the trailer and see if you get enough play to move it over far enough to clear the valve handle.  If so then someone can hold it in place while you tighten it back down.  Good luck.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut