Options

How much stuff do you carry in your T@B ?? - Cargo Weights

rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
edited April 2017 in Trailer & Towing
I recently had the unique opportunity to see exactly how much stuff we carry in our T@B. 
SUNT@B needed a new floor and it had to be empty to begin the replacement.
We keep the camper ready to go anytime.  So other than our cloths bags and perishable foods, everything is on board.
Everything was removed and placed in plastic bins, boxes and baskets then set aside to be reloaded later.
As I re-equipped the completed trailer, I weighed everything!
I will preface the results with the perspective that we are very lightweight campers having used a tandem bicycle as our RV for many years prior to SUNT@B.  When we attend rallies or gatherings of similar campers, we clearly are at the less stuff end of the spectrum. The interior and kitchen are ready to use even when we are on the move because nothing has to travel in the living spaces.

That being said, this is what I found:

sub-total
orig equip
INTERIOR

Batteries 120 120
Porta Potty with water 31

Closet shelves 7

Front shelves 12

Front upper cabinet stuff 15

75 foot 12-3 extension cord 9

30 foot 30 amp extension cord 8

BatteryMinder 3

Front trunk organizer 15

Vacuum cleaner 5

Electric heater 3

Flower power awning 17

Visor XL 5

Texsport  hatch shelter 5

Extra hoses, broom, brush 5

Brakes, bearings, jack, air pump 22

candles, patio lights 5

spare parts boxes 6

Steps 15

Grills 11

Stabilizer crank 2

Folding chairs

Charcoal, bucket 13

Table 35

Slats 14

Patio mat 6 X 9 6

TONGUE BOX

Chocks, blocks, Drill, lock,lighter 23

10# composite LPG tank - full 20

5# steel LPG tank - full 15

Rubber mat 2

BAL leveler 16

25 foot 30 amp service cord 9

30 foot fresh water hose 5

KITCHEN

Box 1 - upper cabinets 19

Box 2 - under sink 16

Box 3 - Pots & pans cabinet 28

Flatware, utensils, teapot, towels 21

10 gallons of fresh water 80

Plasticware  7

Wine sign & mat 3

CUSHIONS & BEDDING

Cushions -  5 each 20

Memory foam & cover 24

Pillows 9

Sheets & towels 20

Comforter & pad 10

Rugs 6

Towels 6

TOTAL

NET ADDED WEIGHT

Over 600 pounds!!! 
I'm sure there is easily another 100 pounds of clothing, toiletries and food items to be added before we drive away.
The back of the TV has two plastic totes of supplies, a cooler and a tool bag.  The back seat is Bella's.

With the 1680 pound empty trailer weight there is nearly 2400 pounds total not including any of the weight in the TV.
Something to compare to your own "list" and consider when choosing TVs

Have fun!  Travel safe!

Comments

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    edited April 2017
    Depending on model and year/month of manufacture, you get either a 2800, 2900 or a 3500 lbs axle.  Our early 2014 CS (not wetbath) model came with the 3500 axle, and even with 15 inch tires! It depends on what they have available at the factory at the moment of manufacture.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    I had to unload mine to send it in for repairs from hail damage...an entire reskining.  I carry way more than I thought I did...
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    edited April 2017
    Also note that Dutchmen T@Bs max out at 1930. Most of the stuff on your list I keep in my tow vehicle. I travel  with no water in my tank and just a small bit in my portapotty. The chairs, rugs, spare tables, awnings, cooler, bucket of extension cords, BAL Leveler, tools, and food box all go in the back of the truck. I have gotten rid of the original table. I weighed mine at a truck stop fully loaded about 5 years ago, and I was at 1950, so I am over weight, but not by much. I need to weigh again and adjust now that I've added the power mover.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    I took SUNT@B to the scale today and with everything listed above on board it weighed 2280 pounds.
    Subtracting the measured added weight of 607 results in an empty weight of 1673 pounds.
    The weight and capacity sticker on the T@B says 1680. 
    Now that's unbelievably close!

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770

rfuss928 said:

I took SUNT@B to the scale today and with everything listed above on board it weighed 2280 pounds.
    Subtracting the measured added weight of 607 results in an empty weight of 1673 pounds.
    The weight and capacity sticker on the T@B says 1680. 
    Now that's unbelievably close!

Wow!! So many manufacturers understate their trailer weights (meh - the give or take 10% rule). For people with smaller TVs and are tentatively upgrading to a bumper pull where weight is crucial, I agree!! Unbelievably close. Part of the refreshing honesty and customer awareness we all know and love.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    edited April 2017
    Weight and where you position it, is important for Tab owners and especially those of us with Tab 320 S models. I'm not sure about the clam shells and the Tab's without a shower seem to have adequate storage in the front.  However, the Tab's with a shower, it seems that most of the available storage is behind the axle. Then compound that problem with this being a light trailer that is attractive to midsize SUV's owners that have limited tongue weight. When you combine these it's really important to know how much your trailer weighs and where it's located. We have all seen the video demonstration of what happens if there is too much weight in the back of your trailer. The first time I towed the Tab, I was shocked how rear-end heavy it felt compared to towing my little guy 5 wide, where most of the storage is on the platform up front. So, with my 2016 Sorento V6 AWD's 5000 lbs tow capacity and a 500 lbs tongue weight, I decided to swap out the standard battery tub for a larger box. With the larger box I was able to have two 100AH AGM batteries the standard propane tank and a place to mount the spare on the side of the box. I'll also be carrying a honda generator on the tongue for a total tongue weight of 315 lbs. This weekend were taking it up to the mountains for our final shakedown trip. I need to see how it tows with the added weight on the tongue before we head out on our 3,144 mile trip in late May early June. We'll be going from San Diego to Yellowstone to Mt Rushmore then back through Colorado to San Diego.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217

Depending on model and year/month of manufacture, you get either a 2800, 2900 or a 3500 lbs axle.  Our early 2014 CS (not wetbath) model came with the 3500 axle, and even with 15 inch tires! It depends on what they have available at the factory at the moment of manufacture.

How do you know which axle you have?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I thought some folks might find this useful in estimating/realizing how much weight they add to their vehicles (TV & T@B) loading up all their stuff.  It is not real specific for many items but makes one think about the kitchen cabinet full of pots and pans could easily be 30 pounds.  Almost 100 pounds total goes into our kitchen not including food and water. The same thing with bedding, mattress topper and towels..
    Add to my list some very common accessories like a side tent, gas grill, Coleman stove, E-Z up, dutch oven, bicycles.......
    It is really ill-advised to think a TV with a 2000# rating will be adequate especially for a "newbie" with no towing experience asking for advise.
    Be smart.
    Be safe.
    Most of all - Have fun!

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744

rfuss928 said:

I thought some folks might find this useful in estimating/realizing how much weight they add to their vehicles (TV & T@B) loading up all their stuff.  It is not real specific for many items but makes one think about the kitchen cabinet full of pots and pans could easily be 30 pounds.  Almost 100 pounds total goes into our kitchen not including food and water. The same thing with bedding, mattress topper and towels..
    Add to my list some very common accessories like a side tent, gas grill, Coleman stove, E-Z up, dutch oven, bicycles.......
    It is really ill-advised to think a TV with a 2000# rating will be adequate especially for a "newbie" with no towing experience asking for advise.
    Be smart.
    Be safe.
    Most of all - Have fun!

Point well taken and one I personally had to struggle with because I had a lot of faith in my 2008 CR-V especially the way I had the rear suspension beefed up. Ultimately I decided it would be best to have more than needed. Now, I'm thrilled with the possibility the larger tow vehicle gives me.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options

Photomom said:

How do you know which axle you have?

There is a sticker attached to the frame, facing outwards near the front jack.  It's fairly easy to find.  I'm not at home otherwise I'd put a picture of mine and where to find it.  I'll try to do that this weekend.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Here's mine.  It also state's your tire size, though in my case it is incorrect:

T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    And here's where it can be found:

T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    SprocketheadSprockethead Member Posts: 12
    rfuss928 said:
    I recently had the unique opportunity to see exactly how much stuff we carry in our T@B. 
    SUNT@B needed a new floor and it had to be empty to begin the replacement.
    We keep the camper ready to go anytime.  So other than our cloths bags and perishable foods, everything is on board.
    Everything was removed and placed in plastic bins, boxes and baskets then set aside to be reloaded later.
    As I re-equipped the completed trailer, I weighed everything!
    I will preface the results with the perspective that we are very lightweight campers having used a tandem bicycle as our RV for many years prior to SUNT@B.  When we attend rallies or gatherings of similar campers, we clearly are at the less stuff end of the spectrum. The interior and kitchen are ready to use even when we are on the move because nothing has to travel in the living spaces.

That being said, this is what I found:

sub-total
    orig equip
    INTERIOR

Batteries 120 120
    Porta Potty with water 31

Closet shelves 7

Front shelves 12

Front upper cabinet stuff 15

75 foot 12-3 extension cord 9

30 foot 30 amp extension cord 8

BatteryMinder 3

Front trunk organizer 15

Vacuum cleaner 5

Electric heater 3

Flower power awning 17

Visor XL 5

Texsport  hatch shelter 5

Extra hoses, broom, brush 5

Brakes, bearings, jack, air pump 22

candles, patio lights 5

spare parts boxes 6

Steps 15

Grills 11

Stabilizer crank 2

Folding chairs

Charcoal, bucket 13

Table 35

Slats 14

Patio mat 6 X 9 6

TONGUE BOX

Chocks, blocks, Drill, lock,lighter 23

10# composite LPG tank - full 20

5# steel LPG tank - full 15

Rubber mat 2

BAL leveler 16

25 foot 30 amp service cord 9

30 foot fresh water hose 5

KITCHEN

Box 1 - upper cabinets 19

Box 2 - under sink 16

Box 3 - Pots & pans cabinet 28

Flatware, utensils, teapot, towels 21

10 gallons of fresh water 80

Plasticware  7

Wine sign & mat 3

CUSHIONS & BEDDING

Cushions -  5 each 20

Memory foam & cover 24

Pillows 9

Sheets & towels 20

Comforter & pad 10

Rugs 6

Towels 6

TOTAL

NET ADDED WEIGHT

Over 600 pounds!!! 
    I'm sure there is easily another 100 pounds of clothing, toiletries and food items to be added before we drive away.
    The back of the TV has two plastic totes of supplies, a cooler and a tool bag.  The back seat is Bella's.

With the 1680 pound empty trailer weight there is nearly 2400 pounds total not including any of the weight in the TV.
    Something to compare to your own "list" and consider when choosing TVs

Have fun!  Travel safe!

This is Exactly why I don't tow my 20' Rpod anymore!, Objects in the Mirror are larger than they seem... My 2016 4Runner V-6 seemed Overworked.
    2019 T@B 320S Boondock Edge, Factory 133 watt solar, 215ah AGM
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    So aren't you now overweight, since you have an Al-Ko frame that maxes out at 1939?
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL