Options

How to install A/C vent cover?

The vent cover I ordered from Elsie arrived today. No instructions, how to install?
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    Same question.........mine came recently as well.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Do you have the Cool cat heat pump?  Our 2013 came with the cover. On the screen on the A/C look for male snaps on all 4 corners.  If not there, you can go to a fabric shop, trim shop etc and buy the snap sets.  I took out the screws on the corners and in the center and added the male part of the snap.  the cover should have the female portion on already.  snap together and you are ready.  Don't forget to remove cover before you start the A/c though!
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Thanks, this is a newer T@B with the window type A/C mounted on the upper wall. Vent is something like 10" x 20".
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited May 2017
    The cover should have come with 4 screws that match with the snaps on the cover. Drill a shallow hole for one screw in one corner  of the vent (I selected the upper left first). Snap the cover on that screw. Go to the other upper snap on the right side of the vent, measure to see where to drill the hole, drill it and screw the screw in . Follow with the other two screws.  Remember, you are drilling holes in the vent, not the side of your T@B.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    I just received my cover as well; no instructions.  But Verna has the technique.  I couldn't bear to drill holes into the side of my T@B, so I'm going to try using 3M Duralock and see if that works.  I'm pretty sure standard velcro won't hold up, but the Duralock seems like strong stuff.  If it doesn't work, I'm out $20 for the Duralock and will be drilling holes.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    Sorry, drill the holes in the vent, not the side of the T@B. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Yikes, when I got it I imagined the screws would somehow replace the ones that are already there. Not crazy about drilling holes. Need to think about this some more.
  • Options
    I got it, thanks Verna.............seems easy enough.
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    linolino Member Posts: 226
    Can anyone post a pic of the vent cover already installed please? I may want to do this mod
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    Right, the holes are drilled through the vent, but the screws look long enough, they are still going to go through the vent and into the side of the T@B, correct?
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    The screws the factory sent me are ½ inch long, and shouldn't penetrate the skin of the T@B, only the AC grille.
    States Visited Map
  • Options

I keep the A/C cover under the door side (passenger side) bench cushion when it is not covering the vent.  I also keep my camp flags and my states to be visited there also.  (The wrinkle in the fabric is because it was folded over while under the cushion for a few weeks. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    linolino Member Posts: 226
    Thanks Verna 
    Looks like a good mod 
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    I find that the cover is fine for keeping out bees and shielding some of the splashing water during travel, but it does nothing for cold air penetration.

Some here have created their own plywood / plastic panels and attached them instead with a rubber gasket to make a perfect seal.  I'd love to see the factory provide a solution like this.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Sorry, @wizard1880, but my first hand experience from two winters in Arizona and Southern California, this cover does indeed keep the cold air out of the T@B.

The proof is with the Alde thermostat being so close to the A/C unit. Without the cover, the Alde thermostat thinks it is struggling to keep the interior temperature at the set temp. But, the cold air coming in through the A/C unit is bringing the temp down on the thermostat, while the rear of the T@B is at least 20* warmer. After attaching the cover, the temperature at the Alde thermostat is the same as at the rear of the T@B. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    @wizard1880, you also have a CS model while most of us have the S model. Your mileage may vary from the majority of the T@B owners. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options

Verna said:

Sorry, @wizard1880, but my first hand experience from two winters in Arizona and Southern California, this cover does indeed keep the cold air out of the T@B.

The proof is with the Alde thermostat being so close to the A/C unit. Without the cover, the Alde thermostat thinks it is struggling to keep the interior temperature at the set temp. But, the cold air coming in through the A/C unit is bringing the temp down on the thermostat, while the rear of the T@B is at least 20* warmer. After attaching the cover, the temperature at the Alde thermostat is the same as at the rear of the T@B. 

I can attest to this. I could feel a draft blowing directly at the Alde panel. I taped up the vent with painters tape temporarily and it made a huge difference. I have an idea about how to add a bit of insulation under the vent cover and if it is successful I'll post details.
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    edited May 2017
    There is a foam seal that surrounds the front of the A/C, inside. The top part keeps falling out.  If this top part is missing overnight, you can feel the cold air on your feet while you sleep!  (especially if it's below freezing outside).

If I could completely cover the outside vent , it would bring the A/C unit itself inside the insulation envelope, if that makes sense.  This is what I want to do :)

It shouldn't matter whether I have the CS model or not, but perhaps because I don't have a wetbath so the A/C is on the floor.  My vent is also MUCH larger than those with the A/C unit up top.   There's so much slack in the snap-on cover I can fit my fingers around and inside it quite easily.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    @wizard1880, I lost my first cover driving 55 to 60 mph in a 30 mph wind. I had Austin and Matt look at it at Tearstock and they actually redrilled both of the lower holes I had drilled, making a tighter seal. Maybe a tighter fit would help you and your feet (I hat cold feet!).

I'm actually thinking of putting some Reflectex on the inside of the cover (thanks to @photomom) to make the seal just a bit tighter. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    drpprmtdrpprmt Member Posts: 117
    I received my vent cover today and found it easy and fast to install.  However, I put the last screw in just a 1/2 tad too far out so I had a very hard time fastening the last clip.  Good thing is that it is tight!  Hope it stretches out some so it will be easier to fasten in the future.  Biggest problem was crawling under the trailer after the wind blew the nice baggie with the screws all the way under the trailer.  Next project....cleaning the garage floor.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @drpprmt, congrats on the install! Sounds like it's about beer thirty to me! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    @Verna, since the screws go through the vent cover which is plastic, have you had any issues with them loosening up over time as you snap and unsnap?

I have had a cover since last year and the screws look like they are long enough to go through the cover and into the side of the T@B.  It sounds like that is not an issue so I will look again at that.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    The rain may have stopped (although snow is threatening) so I may attempt the install later. Any issues with installing in 40 deg temps? I am thinking if you install when it's warm out you'll have trouble snapping it on when it's cold.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Photomom, Heh, careful how loud 'ya use that "S" word, we just got rid of ours!  ;) Personally, I think I'd wait until it was at least 50* or a little more outside. Would make the cover a lot easier to handle, and more pliable, rather than it being cold & stiff.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    Followup:  Just pulled my cover and saw the vent cover is metal.  But the screws are long enough that they are going to pierce the skin of the trailer.  After drilling them in I think you will need to remove them and the cover and put some caulk into the holes that the cover made.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options

Followup:  Just pulled my cover and saw the vent cover is metal.  But the screws are long enough that they are going to pierce the skin of the trailer.  After drilling them in I think you will need to remove them and the cover and put some caulk into the holes that the cover made.

What are you concerned with? The screws not holding?
  • Options

@Verna, since the screws go through the vent cover which is plastic, have you had any issues with them loosening up over time as you snap and unsnap?

I have had a cover since last year and the screws look like they are long enough to go through the cover and into the side of the T@B.  It sounds like that is not an issue so I will look again at that.

@lapowers57, my answer would be no, but I did use a clear silicone caulk on each screw hole. I installed the first cover in mid January in Arizona a year ago. It came off in late March in 30+ mph winds while I was driving. Knock on wood, my current cover was installed last July by Matt (Austin's co-worker). It survived 40+ mph winds and 65 mph gusts while sitting still, the drive back home, and it is on the T@B now. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    OMG, If I'd known what a pain in the tuchas this thing would be I'd have taken it to uCamp and paid someone from the factory to install it. I must have dropped screws 30 times (and there are only 4 of them) and said a dozen bad words. 3 of 4 screws are on and seem okay but I managed to get the 4th out of place just enough that the cover isn't straight at the bottom. Tried moving that hole but only ended up enlarging it. No idea if the screw will stay in when we use the cover as it doesn't seem to be biting what's left of the hole.

Not only that, but the cover really doesn't seal the opening. The things you screw in and snap the cover to stick out enough there is a gap all around. I have a piece of underlayment in there (rubber on the inside, reflective material on the outside) and the cover's main function seems to be to hold that in place. I shoulda done a DIY cover!
  • Options
    @photomom, you have to trust me. It works!  Yes, it is a bit loose, but it's purpose is to keep the breeze out when sitting still. Sunny Day and I will attest to the fact that it works. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN