Options

Keeping the 7 pin dry

Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
edited April 2020 in Trailer & Towing
I have a cover for the TaB side of the 7 pin, but unless you keep it upright, it collects water. We used zip ties and a fist clamp.  This is actually the end of our brake controller.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio

Comments

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    A clip of some kind might be a good idea...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    gophergradgophergrad Member Posts: 115
    thanks - I did not know covers existed (I wondered), but now I have one Amazon Priming its way here
    2017 CS-S Max (Silver & Yellow), TV 2019 Ram 1500
    Camping under the Big Sky
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    The fist clamp worked nicely.  We had 2 left over from an attempt to create a mount for the stabilizer crank.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited June 2017
    I just make sure my cable is hanging downwards, so no water goes in....  ;)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    ChanW said:
    I just make sure my cable is hanging downwards, so no water goes in....  ;)
    Ditto. Never had a problem.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    Before a wind and rainstorm I put a small plastic bag over with rubber band holding it on. Worked fine!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited June 2017
    I know there are protective devices out there for this purpose (protecting against water entry into wires & connectors) but have never experienced any issues/problems with any trailers owned over the years (via the wiring), nor water migration into the wiring itself.  

I will add however that in the utility industry there is an issue with water wicking (entering cables)  into exposed aluminum cable ends that are left exposed and open to the elements (e.g., via rainfall, laying in ground water, etc.) and that water that does enter into an aluminum conductor creates a chemical reaction that can break down aluminum, cause aluminum to oxidize, turn it to a powder, the cable and jacket eventually swell up and will eventually causes a cable failure.  To eliminate this from happening cable ends are capped off with a heat shrink cap after the cable is cut and the ends are protected from any moisture entering the cable ends.  

Copper conductors are more forgiving but will react with aluminum conductors (when spliced together) and this requires care and using connectors that are designed for the application undertaken.  I believe that any means of protecting a 7-pin cable connector from water entry whether the end is protected with a cap, covering it up with plastic or merely hanging the end downward to protect it from the elements and water are all good and preventive means of keeping it in operable/safe condition.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    I take back my previous self assurance. After incredible deluges this weekend the rain got into the plastic bag anyway. I thought of @ChanW remark, and going to try it next time. Sigh...
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Just apply dielectric grease or silicone to the conectors, it will not matter if it is wet or dry.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Luckyj, Absolutely agree. Both ends, including the connector for the tow vehicle. reduces corrosion as well, so it's a win-win. I use it on my shore power plug as well, including a little on the threads of the connector. Makes it much easier to screw the connector on. Dielectric grease is absolutely your friend on all electrical connectors. I just put some on a Q-TIP to apply it. Keep a little plastic container of it in my tool section of the trailer. :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf