Options

Rear Shelf Mod in 2017 Outback Max S

I finally completed the mod of my rear shelf to divide it into 3 sections for easier opening.  This allows me to access the section I need without having to clear the entire shelf to do it.
The list of materials is:
1.5 X 1" metal hinges - 6 ea.
60 grit sand paper
1/16" drill bit...and drill
table saw
phillips head screwdriver or Phillips bit for a drill
wood putty in natural pine
light
level
and something to hold the back of the shelf sections at the correct height (we ended up with 2 iPhones and a square box of Kleenex....it worked)

The shelf is 54", so each section was cut at 18".  The hinges were mounted at 4.5" from each side (2 hinges on each section).  The screw locations were marked and pilot holes drilled before attaching the hinges.  I sanded the cut edges and filled the old hinge holes with wood putty.  In the Outback, we set the shelves to allow an equal gap on both sides (exactly the width of the key ring holding my T@B keys from each side, then centered the middle shelf.  After piling the cell phones and Kleenex in each section and checking for level, we marked the hinge holes, drilled a starter hole and connected them.  Done!

Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

Comments