Options

Chargers

I'm thinking of buying a smart charger. When using it on shore power is it all right that the trailer's charger is also trying to charge the battery or do you need to disconnect the trailer's charger once you buy the smart charger.
Thanks for any input.
2016 CS-S silver and red, 2022 Toyota Sienna Hybrid
Ottawa, Ontario

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,527
    We have a smart charger.  We disconnected from AC and then used the charger.  I do know that you can't run any loads when charging.  Ours is currently stored with the Tab, sorry can't be more help.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ClaudeAClaudeA Member Posts: 54
    So when on shore power you shouldn't use your smart charger and let the trailer charge the battery. I'm reading that the TV doesn't give you a 100% charge and the trailer doesn't either, so I thought when I get a site with shore power for a night I'd give it a full charge with the smart charger.
    Ottawa, Ontario
  • Options
    Yes, you will get a faster and more complete charge.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    edited July 2017
    If you use both, I suspect the smart charger will "see" the high voltage from the converter, "think" the battery is charged, and go into float mode.

I'm sure there are some good theoretical arguments why one method of charging is better than the other, but I'm kinda' lazy when it comes to hooking up the smart charger so I usually just let the converter or the T/V do the job. Anecdotally, I see no performance difference either way.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Since the Alde and frig can work exclusively on electric, I don't see why you can't disconnect the battery and use a charger. I'm not sure though if the CO/propane detector will go off, or if the frig needs 12 volts for the auxiliary fans. I vaguely remember having a blown fuse on the battery while on shore power one weekend and didn't notice it until the 2nd night. I know when it happened, we were trying to short the pigtail to light the running lights instead of turning on the Cape Hatteras light house beacon they call a porch light on the 1st night. Everything ran fine.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Yes, you should be able to do that. The CO/propane detector, Alde and (I think) fridge do require 12V for their circuitry, but the converter will provide that when on shore power. It won't matter if the battery is connected or not.

On the few occasions when I camp with hook-ups, I generally just leave the fully charged battery disconnected.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    So when I have a site with power, if I open my battery cut-off switch the converter will satisfy what the trailer needs AC and DC and the shore power will run the smart charger correct.
    Ottawa, Ontario
  • Options
    I'm interested in this because with the DC only fridge, if I run it some while travelling it would be nice to start the day with a well charged battery. If only using the converter to recharge overnight I don't think it will keep up.
    Ottawa, Ontario
  • Options
    ClaudeA said:
    So when I have a site with power, if I open my battery cut-off switch the converter will satisfy what the trailer needs AC and DC and the shore power will run the smart charger correct.
    Correct!
    ClaudeA said:
    I'm interested in this because with the DC only fridge, if I run it some while travelling it would be nice to start the day with a well charged battery. If only using the converter to recharge overnight I don't think it will keep up.
    Even a fully charged battery may get a bit depleted en route if you are running the fridge on DC. A lot seems to depend on how your tow vehicle's generator output is controlled.

It probably doesn't make a difference if you are headed home, but if you are looking to arrive at the next campsite with a full battery, you may be disappointed regardless of how you charged the battery when you started. There's been quite a bit of discussion on this in some other recent threads.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    ClaudeA said:
    Correct!
    ClaudeA said:
    Even a fully charged battery may get a bit depleted en route if you are running the fridge on DC. A lot seems to depend on how your tow vehicle's generator output is controlled.

It probably doesn't make a difference if you are headed home, but if you are looking to arrive at the next campsite with a full battery, you may be disappointed regardless of how you charged the battery when you started. There's been quite a bit of discussion on this in some other recent threads.
    Yes I've read most of those post and understand. I'm thinking more for when I know i'm going to another elect. site I hopefully can get by, day by day that way. Plus I think I would do the fridge on and off at intervals while driving.
    Thanks for your input ScottG
    Ottawa, Ontario
  • Options
    Yes.  Just isolate the battery and charge it and let the TaB run on AC.  That should work.  Now the question is, can you plug the charger into the TaB AC outlet, or do you need to use a 110 outlet on the pedestal?  Would it matter?  The shorepower to the Tab outlets does not go through the converter, correct?
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Ha, The ONLY way I can use my A/C in some of the places I go, is to find a tree with a plug-in receptacle! So far, haven't spotted one. Kinda like Snipe huntin'! Solar power rocks!!! 6 days, and had a 12.7 charge on it when I got home!!!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    SAM said:
    Yes.  Just isolate the battery and charge it and let the TaB run on AC.  That should work.  Now the question is, can you plug the charger into the TaB AC outlet, or do you need to use a 110 outlet on the pedestal?  Would it matter?  The shorepower to the Tab outlets does not go through the converter, correct?
    Also correct!

The shore power feeds directly into the 120V breaker panel circuits. One of those circuits in turn feeds the converter, which then provides power to the fused 12V circuits. You might think of the 120V side as being "upstream" from the 12V side.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Can't see why I couldn't plug into T@B receptacles. On AC the charger is a fairly small draw. 

On our next long trip I'm hoping to get into solar.
    Ottawa, Ontario
  • Options
    ScottG said:
    SAM said:
    Also correct!

The shore power feeds directly into the 120V breaker panel circuits. One of those circuits in turn feeds the converter, which then provides power to the fused 12V circuits. You might think of the 120V side as being "upstream" from the 12V side.
    Bring an extension cord. That's what the guy with the heated hose recommended. Sometimes the 20A receptacle in the pedestal is too far from the water source, so he plugs into his own outside 110V receptacle. 

Word of caution, never coil your extension cord neatly. These cords put off heat (with high draws) and can melt your little neat coil. My BIL did that using a rotisserie outside with a 50 ft 18g extension cord. Oiy, the smell! LOL. I usually carry a heavy duty construction cord (12 or 14g - can't rem). A charger doesn't take a large draw though. That ice maker for your "special drinks with umbrellas" may though!! :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    I will bring a short cord for the charger. Thanks for the tip Ratkity.
    Now to shop for a charger. I was gonna buy one for when I bring the battery home for the winter regardless.
    Ottawa, Ontario
  • Options
    Well, depending on what you want it for, a Battery Tender (brand name) charger is compact and does fairly well. No equalizing function on it. My big charger weighs a ton, is huge, but can accommodate equalization of both lead acid and AGM batteries.
  • Options
    Darn! I re-railed the thread... I thought I derailed it enough with the umbrella drinks... I'm losing mah touch.