Using side tent at RV park?

I'm considering purchasing an attached side tent for my 2016 [email protected] When making RV park reservations many sites don't allow tents at the RV site. Has anyone who owns a side tent run into restrictions on when you can use your side tent or do most sites not consider this a real tent?  

Comments

• KBaggins1KBaggins1 Posts: 135Member
    Most campgrounds allow tents so it usually is not a problem. We are booked in to a park in Colorado for September and they had a no tents on RV sites rule. We called them up, they asked for pictures and they found us a slightly wider site than we were given originally. So it was not a problem, most of their sites are just on the narrow side.
    2014 [email protected] [email protected];  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Posts: 1,519Member
    My guess is you would want to call ahead to be sure. A few weeks ago I camped at a State Park that did not allow tents, or stakes of any kind, even for awnings. Forgot to ask why, but luckily I had brought a free standing awning I could tie down to the [email protected] and picnic table to keep it earthbound. Double checking is never a bad thing! Good luck!
    2017 [email protected] Max S silver and cherry red, TV 2015 Toyota Highlander [email protected] ("Bug" aka my [email protected] pod), towed by Big Red, or Silver
  • atlasbatlasb Posts: 301Member
    several camp sites we have been to will not allow stakes for anything.  They said it was because of buried utility lines.  (water, electric)
    2018 [email protected] 400, 2016 Nissan Frontier Crew cab
  • lightningdonlightningdon Posts: 28Member
    Seriously? I can't imagine any instance where utility or water lines would be buried anything less than 24". Sounds like the personelle you spoke with really didn't know why and chose to feed you a line of crapola. More than likely it would be for environmental reasons.
    Don
    2017 [email protected] XL Max
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 with 6 Sp manual
  • larrygonlarrygon Posts: 223Member
    I have always considered it a "pop out" and no different than a pop up camper. I can understand any area that does not allow staking.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 [email protected] [email protected] S White with Grey trim | TV 2014 3.6L Outback | Flagstaff AZ.
  • AnacortesArmyGuyAnacortesArmyGuy Posts: 13Member
    edited July 2017
    It depends on the RV campground.  Some state no use of "non-permanently mounted to the RV awnings, and under no circumstances any staking."  I believe this may have to do with the concern about unattended canopies, etc. taking off in a thunderstorm and becoming a hazard to other campers. Others, specifically one I will be staying at in Livingston, MT next week, in addition to "no staking" of external canopies, etc., state that no personal gear can be left outside your camper when you're not there, including chairs, tables, etc., and one of the reasons they list is because of their grassy areas they maintain, as well as a safety issue.
    Mark, U.S. Army, Retired
    2017 [email protected] Max; 2016 Subaru Crosstrek
    Anacortes, WA
  • jkjennjkjenn Posts: 4,530Member
    I have been in a number sites where there would not have been the space for the side tent. You can now preview more and more sites, which should help. It seems as though private campgrounds are pickier about stakes than public campgrounds.

Jenn Grover | 2015  [email protected] S Max Silver/Turquoise Trim | 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk v6 | Nights spent in [email protected]: 148 | Pittsburgh PA

• AndiTXAndiTX Posts: 4Member
    Thanks so much everyone for your advice! We do plan to call ahead to confirm policies. Happy camping! 
  • PhotomomPhotomom Posts: 1,930Member
    We've been lucky so far, I guess. We cook and eat in the awning so it would be a problem if we couldn't use it (it seems to rain every time we camp.)

Is it possible to use the visor XL freestanding, i.e. with the straps connected to the [email protected]
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 [email protected] S Max in Western New York
  • RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Posts: 433Member
    edited July 2017
    @Photomom Yes, the visor is designed to be used "freestanding". There are two guy lines that slide into the bottom keder rail. Some people opt to stake those to the ground instead in windier conditions, but the xl visor is absolutely "freestanding" and would not be considered a tent.  I have two of them and sometimes put them on both sides of the [email protected] for two shade porches.
    Sally, "[email protected]" 2016 [email protected] Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.