Options

T@B or a T@G...decisions, decisions, decisions. What should I do?

Texas_DaveTexas_Dave Member Posts: 18
Hello all, my name is Dave and I am just a few days away from joining your family. I just don't know which side of the family I'll be joining yet. I figured, (hoped that), I could share a little information about myself and see what you thought on which model I should buy. 

As a couple we're both at the 50 year old mark and we have a love for road trips and photography. Last year we hiked the Teton Crest Trail in 9 inches of snow and loved it but my girlfriend blew her knee out this year and is recovering from a meniscus surgery so we'll be allot more reserved while heading up to Wyoming this year. We love the rockies and for two weeks out of the year that's where you'll find us. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

We love the road trips and currently drive a 2013 Subaru Outback with the 3.6 engine and 5 speed automatic transmission. I think we have the car for either trailers and we're adding trailer brakes regardless of the model we get. 

Here's where I'm having trouble deciding. I'm 6'4" so fitting into things is already a challenge. We're looking at either the t@g outback xl or the t@b s max. I really like the t@g because I know it would be an easy pull and with a slight modification of removing the headboard I would have enough room to stretch out in bed. With the t@b I could just sleep with my head to the rear and let my feet hang over. The thought of a bathroom is nice but dang it's so small. The t@b's indoor kitchen would be nice in the winter too but I don't mind the rear kitchen on the t@g either, I just know I'd have to gear up to make coffee out of the t@g if it's cold out. (which I have the gear). I've heard that the good rv parks have good amenities so not to worry about having a bathroom and I could see the benefit of the t@g's size while exploring the "hole-in-the-wall" places we see while traveling. 

I dunno, I maybe kind of over thinking things but I sort of see us as roamers more than campers and I can see a need of having the camper just to pull over and catch some rest with out all the set up. I honestly don't know what to expect while on the road with a camper. 

If you were on the fence like I am here, what helped you decide between the two models?  ...and if by chance you're in the 6'3" and above range, I want to hear your opinions, grips or photos of your bruises getting in and out of one of these things. lol.

Thanks!
-indecisive dave

Comments

• Options
    DonnabDonnab Member Posts: 60
    Hi! I bought my Outback T@b this April! I too researched and went back and forth for a year before purchasing.
    I went with the T@b due to my dogs. I really couldn't deal with rainy days wet dogs in a T@g...in the Tab I have rugs to capture the dirt and I cover my cushions.  
    Donna 2017  Maryland resident Colorado land owner outback white/black Toyota Tacoma  ; )
  • Options
    foxdenfoxden Member Posts: 148
    I went back and forth as well but decided I really like the idea of available hot water and making coffee inside.  The bathroom really is small, even for me at 5'7 but it is pretty convenient.  My first camping experience in my T@B was a rainy one and I liked having a comfortable place to sit and relax until things cleared up.  And now I have an extra bedroom when I have guests!
    2017 Max S - Silver/Red - T@briolet -  2016 Jeep Cherokee - Fredericksburg, TX
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    If you are 50 with dodgy knees crawling in and out of a T@G might be problematic. I know it wouldn't make me happy.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    We went for the Tab MaxS 2017. I wanted an indoor potty, and with the MaxS I have the option to cook inside or use my beloved Coleman stove outside, which is camping to me.  If I'm traveling and have to overnight in a parking lot somewhere, I would not be comfortable cooking outside. If you want to join harvest hosts.com and stay at any of their many sites, you cannot do that in a clamshell. Your unit has to be self-contained. Sometimes I travel solo with friends,  and sometimes DH comes with me.  How many taller people have added an ottoman, or a box of some kind inside at the door with a pad on top so they can stretch their feet all the way past the end of the couch and still be supported. There are an awful lot of options that way. I also really like that four adults fit comfortably sitting in the U-shaped Dinette if you have company.  I originally had my heart set on a small teardrop similar to the tag. DH's request was that he could stand up inside, and that I could lock the door at night and be safe if he was not there. The tab does it all!  Take a long look at how you like to camp, and the answers will figure themselves out.  Good luck with your decision!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited June 2017
    Photomom said:
    If you are 50 with dodgy knees crawling in and out of a T@G might be problematic. I know it wouldn't make me happy.
    I agree with Photomom - ouchie knee in a T@G would be hard to deal with - with a T@B, you don't have to have the bath and then add a mod for an area for your tall frame. Who needs a stove when you can put a small propane single burner stove inside to heat water or make coffee? It's easier on the knees to sit up with your feet down to get dressed even if you can't fully stand up. 

My rule of thumb is to look at what suits your needs exactly and then get the next model up. I've never regretted doing that. :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    I have the T@B Outback and my DH is 6'2".  While he can't stand up, he is comfortable sitting and sleeping...although when he is along, we set up the queen bed and he sleeps a little diagonal.  He has managed to use the bathroom at night, but will use the campground bathrooms otherwise.  It is nice to be able to remain inside on cold, rainy days and still have your coffee and a meal.
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    Thanks for the help everyone. I just spent my lunch break sitting, laying and even sitting in the bathroom. (don't worry, seal is still in place!) It's amazingly comfortable as long as I'm not standing. I don't see anyway I'll be able to cook though. Maybe a stool to sit on and keep me lower. hmmm Even the bed was comfortable with my feet hanging off. I think I'm leaning towards to T@B now. I just called Uhaul and scheduled to have a heavy duty transmission cooler installed tomorrow. $140 complete.  
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    I had the same dilemma; wanting the smaller T@G for towing purposes, but wanting the larger T@B for camping purposes.  I do like "camping," but sometimes, I just want to get out of the elements.  The T@B is "homey" enough to accomodate that.  But, really, it came down to my age.  If I were much younger, I may have chosen to struggle with getting in and out of the T@G.  As others have said, here, I like having the creature comforts in an itty bitty package.  The T@B is fully self-contained INSIDE the T@B.  Kitchen, bathroom, dining room, bed room, A/C, HEAT (welcome on those really chilly mornings), hot water, fridge; all at your finger tips.  Then I can enjoy the out of doors on my terms.  One final consideration for us - we are going to spend much more time camping out of it then traveling with it, so we erred on the camping/comfort side and accept the towing limitations.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    @Texas_Dave congratulations on picking a model! I cook outside 99% of the time and love my MaxS! Now the real fun begins! 

2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    PS  you may want to do a little more research before you go to U-Haul. I found out today from my car dealer that U-Haul guarantees the equipment that they put on your car, but they do not guarantee their work. Some people have had a good experience with U-Haul and some people have had horrible experience where the installation damaged wiring in their tow vehicle. Might just be worth checking a little further. Good luck! 
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    @Texas_Dave congratulations on picking a model! I cook outside 99% of the time and love my MaxS! Now the real fun begins! 

Hey Homebody,

How have you attached the tarp to the Keder rail on your T@b?  I might be interested in a similar setup.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Thanks for the help everyone. I just spent my lunch break sitting, laying and even sitting in the bathroom. (don't worry, seal is still in place!) It's amazingly comfortable as long as I'm not standing. I don't see anyway I'll be able to cook though. Maybe a stool to sit on and keep me lower. hmmm Even the bed was comfortable with my feet hanging off. I think I'm leaning towards to T@B now. I just called Uhaul and scheduled to have a heavy duty transmission cooler installed tomorrow. $140 complete.  
    We cook outdoors as we've always done while tent camping. I think we've heated water for coffee a couple times on the T@B stove when we were all packed up but that's it. There are lots of options for cooking outdoors - camp Dutch ovens, butane or propane camp stoves, electric appliances, and grills (not limited to grilling, see the Baking with the Q thread.)
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    AtaylorAtaylor Member Posts: 10
    I'm 64 and just bought a T@G.  Love the T@B, but my Jeep Wrangler wouldn't tow it.  I'm 5'10" and standing in a T@B was fine in the highest part.  I go camping to be outdoors and I love cooking outdoors, so the T@G's galley kitchen was perfect.  In fact, among the T@B models, I preferred those with the outdoor galley.  Whichever one you choose, I hope you enjoy it!
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    ATaylor, do you have a two door Wrangler or a four door unlimited?
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    Well, my better half and I are still up in the air about which to get. We're heading down in the morning to spend some time in each and figure it out. We could be in the Little Guy family by tomorrow. I'll update y'all soon. ;)
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    You may want to consider a T@B CS. 
    Without the bath there is room to sleep lengthwise by utilizing the top of the AC.  The kitchen is outside, set up and ready to use.  If equipped like a T@G or SS it becomes a stand up version of it's smaller cousins with a lot more storage.

• Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    I saw another small trailer brand in Canada you might want to compare, Pro Lite. 
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    ATaylor, do you have a two door Wrangler or a four door unlimited?
    John, I have a 2004 two door Wrangler with the inline 6 cylinder engine.  Plenty of power, but that short wheelbase makes towing a larger trailer a little dicey.  (I know some folks do it, but I'm not willing to try it.)  It tows the T@G like a dream, though.  I can hardly tell it's back there...
  • Options
    We're offically in the t@g family! Thanks everyone! ...adventures to come!
  • Options
    foxdenfoxden Member Posts: 148
    Congratulations @Texas_Dave Don't know where you are but there is a Tiny Trailer Rally in San Marcos (TX) in October.  Should be fun.
    2017 Max S - Silver/Red - T@briolet -  2016 Jeep Cherokee - Fredericksburg, TX
  • Options
    Congrats!  See you down the road!
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Texas_Dave, Congrats, have fun & be safe out there! B)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    lightningdonlightningdon Member Posts: 30
    I blew out both knees 2 years ago, and am on the way to replacement in one knee sooner rather than later. Can't kneel or squat. I have no issue getting in and out of the T@G. It's about technique. Don't crawl in. You sit on the doorway and roll back on your back and pull your legs in as you turn.
    Don
    2017 T@G XL Max
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 with 6 Sp manual
  • Options
    @lightningdon, :rofl:, The reason I'm laughing is I've had my right knee worked on 7 times, and the left twice! Your description fits what I have to do on a daily basis, T@B, T@G, or right here at home. Good luck with the replacement(s), and be diligent about the physical therapy, you'll benefit from it later, I promise! :)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Here you @boo ...of course at this point if you've seen one, you've seen then all but it's where you see it that I think is the interesting part of it all. Here we are in our front driveway while Jen is still snoozing and I'm measuring things and planning on some tweaks to the trailer. 

Still snoozing on an unusually cool Texas morning. 

Stove and bacon frying...check.  lol

Driving home after my purchase of this little camper I had some doubts creep up on me about my decision to purchase such an expensive little teardrop. Especially when the money could of went to so many more seemingly necessary things in our lives. The thought of how we could of got by again with just staying in tents and motels when we visit the Rockies. All the doubts began to arise...until I woke up to see this. The first view from the first morning as I awoke in my first camper. A gentle breeze was blowing our red oak as a light rain fell from about the star gazing window. That's when my doubts and buyers remorse subsided and the daydreams of future trips, vacations and adventures began again. This is going to be fun!
  • Options
    @Texas_Dave, 'ya had me at the frying bacon! Yep, watchin' the rain from a nice dry place is a big plus! Let the adventures begin! :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
      As a new T@B owner I'm curious as to what sent you finally to the T@G, was it the height issue?  It's a beauty!
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    The height had everything to do with it. I was fully intent on the t@b cs-s before we left but once we got there and spent time in it and even around back I had to duck under the door to approach the galley. The bathroom had the sink in  the already tiny bathroom and it was just to small. I wanted to fit but didn't. I tried the U, S and CS-S models and looked at everything closely but after we got back around to the t@g it just seemed to fit my needs better than anything else and I'm happy.   Now as we sat there in the back of the dealership's garage as they worked on adding brakes to our car we got to sit in a t@b 400.  The t@b 400 is made for a 6'4" guy! It is perfect and is what I hope we own when we finally retire. 
  • Options
    GaiaGoddessGaiaGoddess Member Posts: 21
    If you want to join harvest hosts.com and stay at any of their many sites, you cannot do that in a clamshell. Your unit has to be self-contained.
    I am glad I read this, I was kind of on the fence too, T@G's are so cheap and i love the swirly stripes on the side...but I do plan on doing the Harvest Hosts thing as well as workamping where they need you to be self contained, I kinda forgot about this until you mentioned it. I will have to go with the T@B! :-)
  • Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    my 2 cents, from this post: http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/4396/indoor-vs-outdoor-kitchen-and-shower-vs-no-shower/p1

We purchased a t@b CS, to be picked up late next month. We opted for the outdoor kitchen; part of camping is cooking outdoors, we feel. We plan on buying an outdoor shelter/tent so if it's raining, we can use our portable propane grill to cook under shelter. We didn't really like the idea of our living space smelling like our breakfast/dinner. My husband is a big guy & didn't feel comfortable, crammed inside the shower/bathroom. I also don't want to have to deal with dumping/cleaning/maintaining the black tank. We tend to camp at full facility campgrounds so we feel this choice suits us the best. I know there are options for 'portable toilets" that some folks use.

Go with whatever you feel your needs are; there is no right or wrong answer. 
    ~Happy Camping!~
    Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.