Can I run my AC & humidifier from home electric hookup?

TikiBarTabTikiBarTab Member Posts: 39
I apologize if this issue is already on the Forum somewhere, but I could not find it with the search.  We are bringing our new 2018 T@B home on Aug. 28th and I want to hook up to home electric.  I intend to get an adapter from 30amp to 15V and use a heavy duty outside extension cord.  We live in FL and I would like to keep a dehumidifier on inside T@B during the high humidity months.  Also I would like to turn on AC (or possible just a fan if AC draws too much power) while getting the T@B ready for travel.  Has anyone had experience with this?  I would appreciate any advise!  Thanks

Comments

• KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    We leave ours connected when we are at home most of the time. We use a 15 amp to 30 amp adapter and plug it in using the 30 amp cord that it came with. No problems in 3 years so far. 
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I kept "Damp Rid" inside when the T@B was idle in the driveway. Because of the phantom draw, I just ran a heavy duty extension cord with a 20 amp adaptor to the cord. I have other things on that house circuit, so I couldn't run both the A/C and frig. I used the power cord all the time for phantom power draws and for frig cool-down the night before. Running the A/C overnight when you get your dedicated 30 amp plug wouldn't be necessary. The coldness wouldn't stay. I think the wall R rating is a 4 (V, Mike - correct me if I'm wrong).

If you keep it plugged in year-round, make sure you check the battery water levels if you have a lead-acid flooded battery (don't worry if you have AGM). I usually need to put some diH20 (distilled water) in the battery at the beginning of the season.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    Oh wait! You are in humid FL. I found *this* dehumidifier on Amazon and use it for the big camper:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H0ZDD2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Truly T@B sized!! Love it.

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • TikiBarTabTikiBarTab Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for the info! How long is the cord that comes with the T@B?
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    25' for the 30 amp cord. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Thanks for the link Ratkity!  Ordered a dehumidifier and it's on the way.  Definitely one of the most challenging things to deal with in FL is the massive humidity!  We're looking forward to a trip across country to get out of it for a while!
  • VickeyPVickeyP Member Posts: 47
    @TikiBarTab - we are in Florida and picking up our new T@B on August 28th too (Bradenton). Like yourself, we are looking forward to heading north shortly thereafter
    2018 T@B 400 Sw@llowt@il  - 2015 Highlander - Dunedin, Florida
    "Not all that wander are lost..." J. R. R. Tolkien

• rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    Your AC unit is a great dehumidifier.  That is why there is a condensate drain.  With the T@B plugged in at home (using a 30A to 15A adapter) I keep the temp set ~75 and the interior stays dry and fresh.  I run a small electric heater at ~55 during the winter for the same reason.  The small energy cost is well worth the fresh, dry interior that results.

Any problem running the AC on household power with a 30 Amp to 110 adaptor?

@VickeyP, not as long as you don't run anything else in the camper at the same time (Frig or Alde on 110V setting). Some 20A house circuits have other outlets and lights on the same circuit. The worst that could happen would be a house breaker flips. I have my trailer plugged in pretty much full time (without A/C) on the 110V house circuit. I do need to get out and check the water levels in the battery. Keeping it plugging in full time can cause some extra evaporation of distilled water in the flooded battery. Good to check the cells periodically between trips :)
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    @VickeyP, the voltage is 120V regardless of whether you are connected to a 30, 20, or 15 amp supply. The adapter just allows you to connect the trailer cord (having a 30A plug) to a standard household outlet (having a 15A receptacle).  

Some household outlets provide 15A, others 20A. Either should be enough to run your A/C, just be attentive to the caveats Ratkity mentioned above!
    2015 T@B S
    Thanks!

Hi VickeyP, you may already have figured it out since it's been a few days since you got your t@b.  We have ours plugged in and the electric is working fine.  I do make sure to only run the AC when nothing else is on, except interior lights.  The dehumidifier works OK, but it seems like the fantastic fan actually works better to keep down the humidity level inside.  Of course with all the rain we get here, I will be installing a vent cover so I don't have to run out in my bare feet to close it when the sudden downpour starts...you live in FL, so you know what I mean! :)
    Thank you Ratkity for the advice on the battery.  We will heed your warning.  It sure feels like so much to learn when you are a newbie T@B owner!  Hoping some day soon it'll come natural!