Options

Norcold doesn't work on shore power

Hi all,

I have a 2017 and 2014 T@B and both norcold's stopped working on shore power. They work on battery and on propane but nothing on shore power.. I've checked the fuses in the dinette area.. Is there something else I should check?

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Check the “Fuses for Dummies” write-up to see if there is another 110V fuse/circuit breaker that you could have blown in both.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    edited October 2017
    In looking at the wiring diagram for the Norcold 180 three-way fridge, there is a 3 amp fuse in the AC line connection on the fridge. Might be a good place to start to check the presence of AC voltage and the fuse. See link:
    http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/3512/fuses-for-newbies#latest
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    The fridge has it's own dedicated AC (shore power) circuit. I think there is a receptacle under the sink into which it plugs. So...

Make sure it's plugged in, and make sure the 120V circuit breaker in your AC distribution panel is not tripped.

If those check out, there are three glass fuses on the top of the Norcold. If I recall correctly, one of those has something to do with running on AC. I have neither the fridge nor the manual handy, so I'm not 100 percent certain on this point. The thread Verna mentioned should provide more info on the three Norcold fuses.

Of course, this all presumes you are actually getting shore power into the camper in the first place. It's worth double-checking, particularly where you seem to have the same problem in both your trailers.  
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    ScottG makes an excellent point to make certain that you are getting 110V to the T@B’s. I always turn the air conditioner on to make sure.

I can’t remember if GFCI (ground fault) outlet on the driver’s side bench front controls the outlet under the sink. Be sure to plug in a known working item in that outlet to make sure you are getting 120V—a drill, hair dryer, radio, etc.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    blackc2004blackc2004 Member Posts: 117
    Thanks all.

Yes, I turned on the AC in both units so they are getting shore power and I checked the fuses but wasn't aware there are more ontop of the unit itself. I'll check there.

I also checked the GFCI on the bench and it's good, so I bet it's the fuse on top of the fridge.

I'll check when I have time and let you know!
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Yes, please follow up. The GFCI on the bench is a completely different circuit and should not affect your fridge, even if it's tripped (at least that is the case on my 2015).

Another thing that might be worth investigating is the 12V supply to the fridge. I know when running on propane a small amount of 12V (from the battery or the converter) is required to run the fridge's electronic circuitry. I'm not sure if the same applies when running on 120V shore power. If it does, a blown 12V fuse or a faulty converter could result in the fridge not working, even if the 120V supply checks out.

I know this is the case with the Alde, but again--without the unit or the literature in front of me--I'm uncertain if the same is true for the Norcold.  
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    There is a 110V 3-prong plug for the norcold under the sink (or bench beside it). Make sure the plug didn't wiggle out. BTW, there's an extra outlet there if you need it for sumthin. :)

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ok. Finally had a chance to take the stove off and look. I only see two fuses a 20amp and a 3amp. Both of them appear to be fine. 

I've checked the 110 and it works... Any other suggestions?  I'm thinking something might be wrong with my wiring because the ALDI touch screen is not working again either and I just replaced the fuse on that before my last trip.

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    DH says don't just eyeball the fuses, but test them. Take the fuses out of circuit and test them so you don't get a false result or backfeed. Good luck!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    The Alde display is 12 volt, no?  Fuse?  Did your Alde fuse blow not too long ago?  Do you turn everything off before connecting and disconnecting power?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    I'm stumped. The Alde should in no way be connected with the fridge. The issues may be coincidental, or--as you implied--may point to a more systematic problem with the camper's 12V supply. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    I'm stumped. The Alde should in no way be connected with the fridge. The issues may be coincidental, or--as you implied--may point to a more systematic problem with the camper's 12V supply. 
    Agree they shouldn't be connected. Since the fridge works on 12v but not 110 and the ALDI doesn't work on 12v... It's just strange. In the last month the ALDI fuse has been replaced twice now to the touch screen.

I sent an email to nucamp warranty to see if they can help diagnose the fridge issue but I'll probably run to the auto parts store and pick up a new 3amp fuse anyway and just try that.
  • Options
    I'm assuming your photo is from your 2017, as it appears to have what I assume is the newer Norcold 180.

You originally noted you had the same problem with the fridge in your 2014. Did you ever get to the bottom of that one?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    I'm assuming your photo is from your 2017, as it appears to have what I assume is the newer Norcold 180.

You originally noted you had the same problem with the fridge in your 2014. Did you ever get to the bottom of that one?
    I haven't even looked at the older unit. Just focusing on the 2017 since that's new and I use it more.... I just tested the 3amp fuse and it's good... so now I'm stumped.
  • Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    Is AC getting as far as the fuse?
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    Wow... So I feel like an idiot now!! But let this be a lesson to anyone else who has this problem... MAKE SURE YOUR T@B IS LEVEL!

I had been parking these in my driveway and I could just unhook and leave it as it was and it was level enough for the norcold to work. But I recently moved them to my work place and have been parking them in a loading dock, which slopes, so the T@B tongue was on the uphill section of the dock. I guess that must have thrown it far enough out of whack to not allow the norcold to work at all....

But now I just need to figure out why the ALDI fuse for the touch screen keeps blowing.