trailer brakes with 4 pins?

steveastevea Member Posts: 7
I am a RV newbie who asks newbie type questions. We purchased a T@B 320S from Nucamp. It has an Autowbrake electric brake controller and a 7 pin trailer connection. Our tow vehicle is a Subaru Outback 2015 with a 4 pin connection. The T@B dealer supplied us with a 7-to-4 pin adapter.  All appears to be properly wired (all the trailer lights work) but I cannot tell whether I have trailer brakes when towing. Question - assuming everything is set up correctly, do i have trailer brakes?

Comments

• jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 72
    stevea said:
    I am a RV newbie who asks newbie type questions. We purchased a T@B 320S from Nucamp. It has an Autowbrake electric brake controller and a 7 pin trailer connection. Our tow vehicle is a Subaru Outback 2015 with a 4 pin connection. The T@B dealer supplied us with a 7-to-4 pin adapter.  All appears to be properly wired (all the trailer lights work) but I cannot tell whether I have trailer brakes when towing. Question - assuming everything is set up correctly, do i have trailer brakes?
    AuTowBrake looks like an interesting brake controller. Similar to an RF brake controller without the RF. Basically an electronic surge brake system. It does not appear to have a manual override though. So it might be hard to determine whether it’s working right. Does the manual have any suggestions on how to test it?

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    edited October 2017
    Nope. The 4-pin connectors are strictly for the lights. The 7-pin connectors add circuits for electric brakes, 12V camper power/battery charging, and back-up lights or other auxiliary devices.

In order for that extra stuff to work, you would need to have a properly wired 7-pin connector on your Subaru. 
    2015 T@B S
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Do you mean your RV dealer changed your Subaru 4 pin to a 7 pin, so now you have a 7 pin?  If you have a 7 pin you should now have brakes if your controller is working.  Do you know how to adjust the brakes?  Is it RF or a standard brake controller?  You may want to start with a 7 pin tester that you
    can get at Walmart just to confirm a working 7 pin.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Please read the reply from @ScottG. @stevea Your T@B brakes are not working and your T@B battery is not being charged while driving by your tow vehicle.  You will need to have your 4-pin changed to be a properly wired 7-pin. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    stevea said:
    Another thing you may want to do while you are contemplating getting your vehicle wired up with a seven-pin receptacle is to purchase a 15 amp to 30 amp adapter for your trailer power cord as this will allow you to plug the trailer in to a receptacle in your garage or home.  This will allow your electric converter to run and will also charge up your battery.  Make sure you check the on/off battery switch (turn it to on when you want to charge the battery) that should be located in the front tub on the trailer.  Flip the battery switch off when the trailer is parked and idle to help preserve the battery too.   

Camco 55223 15M/30F AMP PowerGrip Adapter

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    edited October 2017
    The key word here is Autowbrake. It is  apparently a self contained unit on the trailer that does not require a 7 pin plug or any connection to the tow vehicle. Search Autowbrake for more information. You will most likely need a 5 pin plug if you want to charge you trailer battery while traveling.
    https://autowbrake.com/
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    Good catch, Dale.

I wonder how/why the Autowbrake came to be installed on this particular T@B. I'm pretty sure that's not standard equipment.
    2015 T@B S
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    OP does not say the model year of his Tab, so I wonder if he purchased used and the previous owner had it installed.  TearDrop Shop sells them.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    Looks like a great option if you're tow vehicle doesn't have a seven pin. Not that expensive if you need to have your TV wired. I think it's a better option than wireless controllers and about the same price maybe a little less. Good  solution if you have a European TV.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • steveastevea Member Posts: 7
    Thanks all. My T@B 230S is model year 2017. The 4-to-7 pin adapter is a Pollak 12-705 and has a 7-pin receptacle on one end, and a 4-pin connector plug on the other, and no other extraneous wiring. The dealer, whom I am not completely comfortable with yet, MIGHT have put the Autowbrake unit on the trailer once he realized I had a Subaru. I will look into Autowbrake some more, and may take all this back to the dealer for clarification. 
    Yup, all that adapter is going to do is connect the exiting four pins on your Subaru with their corresponding four contacts on the trailer's 7-pin pigtail. That way the lights will work and you'll be street legal.

I wondered if maybe the dealer just took the liberty of installing the Autowbrake when they saw what you were planning to tow with. It would certainly be worth asking.  
    2015 T@B S
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    stevea said:
    Question - assuming everything is set up correctly, do i have trailer brakes?
    According to the Autowbrake website a remote fob is included for testing.
    You drive 10-15 mph then press the fob button. You should notice the trailer tugging on the TV as the brakes engage.
    See last paragraph here: https://autowbrake.com/p/autowbrake-installation
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
    UPDATE. After talking to an Autowbrake techie, turns out I don't have trailer brakes. You need power from the tow vehicle battery in order to operate the brake magnets on the trailer, even though the brake controller is located on the trailer. So I need a 7-way conversion on my 2015 Subaru Outback. Furthermore, the Autowbrake product includes a Key FOB that allows you to test the trailer brakes while driving and after they've been properly configured. Somehow the dealer did not supply me the Key FOB. Autowbrake is kindly supplying me with that. 
    Thanks, for the followup, @stevia. I was wondering where the power to run the brakes come from when using Autowbrake. Having it come from the camper battery seems like a poor idea, particularly if your battery has no way to get charged while driving.

I'm still curious as to who installed the Autowbrake on your trailer, and why. 
    2015 T@B S
    According to their installation video. It can be powered through TV tail lights. It just requires driving with your head lights or parking lights on. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    According to their installation video. It can be powered through TV tail lights. It just requires driving with your head lights or parking lights on. 
    Ahhh, I had actually thought of that, but wasn't sure if the tail light wiring was robust enough to handle the additional draw of the brakes (whatever that is).
    2015 T@B S
    I think Autowbrake is just trying to make their product as simple and nonintrusive to the TV as possible. Which I think they have done. I would seriously consider it if I had vehicle that was not prewired for towing. I like the fact that once it is first set up no other adjustments is needed. I also like that it works like a surge brake. JMHO
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    UPDATE, I recently discussed this with the dealer, who installed my Autowbrake unit. Turns out he had wired the unit to run off the tail lights. Problem is he failed to inform me about any of this -- I had to have my lights on in order to have trailer brakes. Never occurred to me, and I almost never drive with my headlights on during the day. Anyway, I now have a 7-way on my Subaru, and I think that's a better solution. Live and learn. 
  • ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    I am going to piggy back on this post since the topic is the same and hope someone sees it and can help.

I am really struggling to find someone to rewire our new Ford Edge from 4 pin to 7 pin. I thought I did enough research in advance and now I am in a panic.

No, Uhaul won’t do it. One RV place in town wants over $300. Is that normal? Anyone know a reputable trailer place in St. Louis? I found one on google in zip 63103 with no website, no phone and the pic is a high fenced lot. Um no. I just don’t know where to turn and goodness knows we are not handy. I feel like I am going to 🤮

I see @Dalehelman you say it should be fairly simple. The Apache dealer said the vehicle would have to be rewired and something about running a wire to the battery of the Ford, something, something, OEM, something. I blacked out after he quoted two hours at $135 an hour plus parts. 

I don’t even really know the language I need to use to ask for what I need. I tell them “I have a 4 pin but I need a 7 pin and an adaptor isn’t enough because I have trailer brakes.” What else can I say to explain it? Any ideas? How am I going to know if they are ripping me off? Is there a kit I should buy and deliver to someone to do it? Will they get a better price somewhere? Is there a more reputable brand I should get? Is there a chance they are going to screw up all of my wiring?

Ugh. I am literally in tears right now. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @ColleenD2 google trailer repair, look at addresses and reviews, you should be able to find one! And you might say you have Electric trailer brakes And you want to be sure you get a charging wire. It’ll be good. Verna always tells me to take a deep breath. 🙃
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @ColleenD2 Ok, it may not be simple. Our UHAUL did it on ours. I next googled small trailer repair, this one looks promising. If for some reason they don’t do the car part, ask for any recommendations they can offer.

http://www.rockroadtrailer.com/
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• dhaufdhauf Member Posts: 199
    ColleenD2 said:
    I am going to piggy back on this post since the topic is the same and hope someone sees it and can help.

I am really struggling to find someone to rewire our new Ford Edge from 4 pin to 7 pin. I thought I did enough research in advance and now I am in a panic.

No, Uhaul won’t do it. One RV place in town wants over $300. Is that normal? Anyone know a reputable trailer place in St. Louis? I found one on google in zip 63103 with no website, no phone and the pic is a high fenced lot. Um no. I just don’t know where to turn and goodness knows we are not handy. I feel like I am going to 🤮

I see @Dalehelman you say it should be fairly simple. The Apache dealer said the vehicle would have to be rewired and something about running a wire to the battery of the Ford, something, something, OEM, something. I blacked out after he quoted two hours at $135 an hour plus parts. 

I don’t even really know the language I need to use to ask for what I need. I tell them “I have a 4 pin but I need a 7 pin and an adaptor isn’t enough because I have trailer brakes.” What else can I say to explain it? Any ideas? How am I going to know if they are ripping me off? Is there a kit I should buy and deliver to someone to do it? Will they get a better price somewhere? Is there a more reputable brand I should get? Is there a chance they are going to screw up all of my wiring?

Ugh. I am literally in tears right now. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
    It shouldn’t be a huge deal, not sure what year your Ford Edge is but you should be able to get a factory OEM tow harness for your vehicle that will provide a wire from your batttery to a 7 pin receptacle and the other wires you will need..  Too bad your not in CT or I would just do it for you.  The labor rates of most mechanics is around the $100+/hr range around here in CT so it may be similar near you.  The two hours quoted doesn’t seem too bad but you may be able to find a small reputable independent garage near you that may be cheaper.  My recommendation is let’s find out if you can get a factory harness for your car.  Let me know the year make and model of your vehicle and I’ll see what I can find.  Then perhaps purchase said harness and find a good independent garage nearby to install.  Most likely labor will be anywhere from and hour to two hours would be my guess.  Other question is do you have a brake controller already or do you need to purchase one?
  • Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    Just from a research standpoint, you might check out eTrailer.com and put in your vehicle info. They will probably have several wiring options to look at and maybe a video. Always good to have a visual in your head when people start talking tech to you. 
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    ColleenD2 said:
    . . . struggling to find someone to rewire our new [2018] Ford Edge from 4 pin to 7 pin.

One RV place in town wants over $300. Is that normal?
    The Apache dealer said the vehicle would have to be rewired and something about running a wire to the battery of the Ford, something, something, OEM, something. I blacked out after he quoted two hours at $135 an hour plus parts. 

. . . know the language I need to use to ask for what I need. I tell them “I have a 4 pin but I need a 7 pin and an adaptor isn’t enough because I have trailer brakes.” What else can I say to explain it?

Assumption One . . . 'convert 4-Pin' means Edge has Factory Tow Package with 4-Pin installed.

Assumption Two . . . Need 4-pin to 7-pin, Need +12V for T@B, Need Electric Brake Controller

Possible Solution:

For Electric Brake Controller purchase a wireless system to eliminate extra TV wiring issues or costs. For example the Prodigy RF Wireless Trailer Brake Controller.

For 4-pin to 7-pin. Since TV already has a 4-pin any* universal 'wired' adapter will work. *of course with correct blade style 7-pin.

For +12V to T@B from TV. On the Edge a wire must be run from battery to 7-pin connector. Wire should be large diameter, 10 AWG is typical. Wire from battery to 7-pin must have an in-line Fuse to protect the TV electrical system if there is a failure on the T@B side.

As others have said 2-hours sounds like a reasonable quote.  Finding a non-RV Dealer shop should lower the hourly rate some.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
    edited September 2018
    We bought a 2018 Ford Edge SEL AWD with the Factory tow package, does that give me a leg up? I am sorry to say I don’t know if I have a built in brake controller, it is that new. 172 miles so far. I don’t think I do. And sorry to lose it on you here. Lol I literally panicked yesterday about this. Now I am breathing a bit more.

jgram2 I will call these folks for sure,

edited September 2018
    One other question you might not know the answer to, am I going to void my car warranty doing this if I don’t use the dealer? Because I could call every Ford dealer in town if needed.

@MuttonChops looking at these diagrams makes me feel sick again. Hahaha I have zero idea what I am looking at, sorry.

• dhaufdhauf Member Posts: 199
    If it is 4 pin you will need the 4 to 7 convertor and a power wire run from the battery positive connector of at least 10AWG.  You will need an in line fuse of 30A put on as well.