To hitch or Not to hitch

PJ123PJ123 Member Posts: 41
  Hello All!  Brand new owners  of a '15 Max 320 CS-S here.  So new in fact we have to wait till next week to pick the Little Guy up.  Question:  My TV will be a '15 Nissan Frontier, six cylinder, crew cab.  The salesman (who admits he dosen't know much about the T@B as his dealership had gotten it in on a trade) suggests an e2 weight distribution hitch.  Now I wouldn't mind the peace of mind an anti sway distribution hitch can bring.  I've had them before but the trailer was a lot larger and heaver. But do I really need it and will the thing FIT on the tongue of the 320 as it needs 27" to30" to mount the hitch bars along the tongue?????
  The unit is about 45 minutes away and I'm tempted to "just run over" and measure the distance from the ball connector to the tank/battery box to see if I've got room.  Loosing my orange "nose" is NOT an option so if faced with that then the hitch is out unless you more experienced folks can give me the benefit of that experience.
  Sorry about the ramble guys....do I need it at all??
Pete & Jeanne 2019 T@B red and grey 400 Boondock Lite..TV 2015 Nissan Frontier, Southern Louisiana

Comments

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited October 2017
    No need for it!

The Tab's dry weight is around 1600, maybe 2400-2600 loaded. Using the 10% rule, your tongue weight would be 250-300# maybe.

I've never felt any problem towing it as is.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    edited October 2017
    Make sure the top of your trailer ball is around 16" to the ground give or take an inch. Long term you want to tow your trailer as level as possible. Hook it up check your lights and bring it home. Best if you have a 7pin plug and a brake controller installed in TV  prior to pick up. A load leveling hitch would be way overkill.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    Agree. I have a Frontier with just the hitch, no add ons, no problems. 
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Yep, I tow with a Frontier as well using the OEM tow package with a basic Class IV receiver hitch.

As others have noted, various other factors can affect how well the trailer tows, but there's no compelling evidence that any kind of fancy hitch is required.
    2015 T@B S
  • PJ123PJ123 Member Posts: 41
      Thanks All!!  I felt that as Dalehelman mentioned it seemed "overkill" to me but not having any experience with T@Bs I just wasen't sure. Now about that rack for the Harley.........
    Pete & Jeanne 2019 T@B red and grey 400 Boondock Lite..TV 2015 Nissan Frontier, Southern Louisiana
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    we tow with a 2016 Frontier crew cab v 6 also and in fact we tow the 400 now.  The only change we made when going from the 320 to the 400 was to turn the 2 inch drop hitch over to fit the added height of the 400.  We towed the 320 with a top of the ball height of 16 inches.  The 400, I find to be good at 19 inches. The listed tongue weight for the Frontier is 600 lbs so you are more than adequate.  Our 320 was a maxx Q model and weighed around 1760  empty.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    Agree with what the others have said. Have towed our '17 over 18,000 miles in less than 18 months, in every imaginable terrain over 30+ states, steep grades, long flat stretches, desert southwest heat and monsoon rains. Crossed the Rockies a couple of times and pulled through road washouts and driven on beaches. Even carefully negotiated 60 mile an hour winds. We have a standard 4" drop hitch on our factory original 2005 gmc envoy, and it's an easy hook up and go situation. Now, welcome, congratulations and happy t@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
     Thanks again All..Looks like I've got some catching up to do.
    O.K. Now we're the happy owners of a Little Boy CS-S Max!  To answer my own question asked above (ahem) According to a sticker affixed to the tongue a weight equalizer hitch with a capacity of over 750lbs. is just not allowed.  I had completely missed this during my first inspection of the LB so all angst was for naught.  To make DW happy we added a sway bar and all is well.
      To all those great folks that answered my queries earlier...Thank You again for chipping in.

• RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    edited November 2017
    Remember to unhook the sway bar before backing up or you will bend the bar and/or the frame

2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    By chance, if you ever bend that friction sway bar, I have an extra. I need to build up leave to go to Tabzona. So many spare parts!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    Thanks Ratkity, I'll keep your kind offer in mind.  And again, thank you everybody..we'll see ya around the campfire one of these days.