Options

Replace a 2-Way(110V, 12V) with a 3-Way(+Gas) - Is it possible? What are Options? 12V vs Gas vs ARB

2»

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I use three flannel dog quilts (about 4’x4’), folded in half over the top of the ARB with the ARB’s insulated cover in place, and a windshield sunguard on top of the ARB. I have the ARB plugged into the 12V accessory plug of the Tacoma, which is dead when the engine is off. I have never lost more than 2* during 4 hrs of sight seeing. 

Others have talked about putting a small AGM battery in the back floorboard for these times. I’ve not lost any food, so I’ll stick with the blankets.

Three or four frozen bottles of water help to keep the temp down inside, also. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    I would put the ARB inside the thermarest side tent when we set up a base camp.  I added a 12v outlet right next to the 120 outside outlet.  That works well. 

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    You should get a Trimetric meter or equivalent to aid in understanding your AH needs.  It will give you a lot of confidence in knowing how you are doing with power management.
    John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    jcfaber1 said:
    I would put the ARB inside the thermarest side tent when we set up a base camp.  I added a 12v outlet right next to the 120 outside outlet.  That works well. 
    How did you wire that outlet, did you just tap into one of the existing 12 volt lines at the back of the Tab? I have heard from others that they had trouble with their ARB when they tried to use an extension with too small gauge of wire. I'm pretty sure the wiring in the Tab is 16 gauge and that spot has got to be close to a 20' run from the battery.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    I went from the converter to the outlet, 10 gauge.  It is a short run.  20 ft run should be 8 gauge
    John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    jcfaber1 said:
    I went from the converter to the outlet, 10 gauge.  It is a short run.  20 ft run should be 8 gauge
    John
    So they are running 10 gauge to the converter? That was smart, where did you tie into the converter?
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    I moved my batteries to the wheel well.  I have a junction box just off the converter where all the positive wires connect and its wired in there.
    John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    jcfaber1 said:
    I moved my batteries to the wheel well.  I have a junction box just off the converter where all the positive wires connect and its wired in there.
    John
    Yes, very nice and clean application and results in a very short run to the door side of the Tab. Just for anyone following this tread, that wants to add a 12v auxilary plug for your ARB, @jcfaber1 application doesn't translate to how the newer Tabs are set up. You would need to run 8 Gauge wire from directly from the battery in the tub to back of the door side wheel well. There may be other easier and closer locations (ie next to the refrigerator vent) to setup an auxilary 12v port to run your ARB. More than likely you'll just connect to the zamp port or something like that.
  • Options
    HopsHops Member Posts: 48
    edited December 2017
    @SAM I ended up getting a used 2017 320-S with a front window and a 3-way fridge. It is working fine. But, I also tested out the new Coleman 52 Quart Xtreme 5 Cooler and it actually did stay cold for 5 days in Death Valley outside under the picnic table with a block of ice in it.  This is just information for those with a 2-way and are wanting to camp off grid. 
    Hops and Cascade
    2017 T@B 320 Max S
    2014 Ford Escape 2.0 EcoBoost
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    Hops, was the 3 way frig.  in your 2017 CS installed by nuCamp or after market?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    @SAM by the manufacturer. It vents out the side to the right of the door. Would that be nuCamp or Pleasant Valley
    Hops and Cascade
    2017 T@B 320 Max S
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Curious as the 3 way was not an option when we ordered our late 2017 model.  Wonder if it was a special order?  When was it built?  Pleasant Valley is the factory, nuCamp is the Brand/company/distributor name.
  • Options
    @hops I think we are all assuming your 3-way fridge is in the back of your CS? If indeed it is back there, could you post a pick of how they vented the 3-way fridge?
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    @SAM and @dsatwork Oh, my bad, I don't have a CS I have just the 320-S as in Shower. Very sorry all. 
    Hops and Cascade
    2017 T@B 320 Max S
  • Options
    mystery solved
  • Options
    Ok Hops.  We just ordered a 28 qt Coleman extreme to keep in the van for lunch for long trips.  
  • Options
    @SAM my 52qt lived up to its claims. As you know block ice is best so perhaps a 1 gallon frozen jug for the 28qt....
    Hops and Cascade
    2017 T@B 320 Max S
  • Options
    Good idea, then I can repurpose the jug to hold down thecorner of our tent at camp.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    SAM said:
    Since we plan to travel mostly out west where we can typically rely on sun for solar, we elected to have an ARB installed with our build in addition to a 150 amp AGM battery.  We have not tested it's limits yet, but hope to do so next spring.  
    Could you post up some shots of the ARB custom build that nuCamp did for you?  If my 3-way frig ever decides to quit I'll want to stick my ARB in the space as Verna and others would do.   I think it would be beneficial to have photos for future reference.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Michigan_Mike,@SAM has a CS-S with the ARB in the rear galley.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited December 2017
    @Hops, & @SAM.....We purchased one of the Coleman coolers that Hops referred to summer before last when one of our large 20+ year old coolers finally just plain wore out. We've found the cooler to be AWESOME. Keeps ice for almost twice as long as the smaller cooler(s) do. Block ice is definitely the way to go with these coolers. We use frozen gallon milk jugs, or the square plastic ice cream containers ( frozen with water).  Also another helpful hint..freeze some drinking water bottles to pack around stuff in the cooler. Two-fold plus..helps keep things cold & if 'ya get thirsty, nice cold water! WE have still had ice left after 10 days last summer (Temps in the mid to high 80's) using this cooler. Great purchase & great product! 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    We have a CS, but here is the info with things to consider specific to the 50 qt ARB.  

Slide:  We sourced a sideways aluminum slide from Southern California Teardrops - there are now other sources online.  I have seen pics of Little Guy CS T@Bs with a wooden, factory built slide. https://www.socalteardrops.com/parts.php?cid=9&pid=77

Location/Temperature and Ventilation:  The 50 qt ARB fits nicely in the galley, but you sacrifice the drawer and cabinet next to the standard Norcold frig.  Our ARB purchase included the custom ARB insulated jacket to assist with temperature maintenance. Adequate ventilation is a concern (especially with the galley hatch closed) as you don’t want the ARB constantly surrounded by hot air due to it’s own exhaust as well as ambient temperature, so a vent was added in the supporting box under the ARB.  I thought about the possibility of adding a computer fan at the vent to assure better cooling.  We monitored galley and ARB temperatures while driving for 6 hours in last summer’s heat and the ARB did not disappoint .  Not sure about the long term consequences of this temperature exposure on the ARB.  In the S model adaptation, I would consider not covering the ARB with cabinet doors as I think someone suggested. https://www.acurite.com/digital-freezer-refrigerator-thermometer-with-temperature-alarms-00986.html

Wiring:  The ARB has a built in converter to step down power received via AC to DC and it says not to connect it to an AC/DC converter.  I spoke with an ARB tech and the concern is voltage fluctuation and the recommendation was to make sure it was a pure sine wave converter.  In the end when I told him we were using it in an RV with a converter/ 3 step charger - he said it would probably be OK. 

We had AC and DC outlets installed to allow us to stay plugged in to both as the ARB will automatically switch between the two.  In reality, we could have just requested a 12 Volt outlet as the T@B wires appliances to run via 12 V off the T@B converter. 

The ARB 12 V plug comes with a fuse located inside the removable plug collar.  The removable collar changes the plug from a cigarette style to a Hella/merit 2 pole plug that allows for a more secure 12 V connection.  If you choose the Hella/merit route, you need to make sure the 12 V line has a 15 Amp inline fuse.

I am not sure of the 12 V wiring  gauge used for the DC outlet, but the ARB online manual recommended a minimum of 6 mm ??  I found a 2009 online instructions that noted requirements of a 14-gauge automotive cable with a 15 Amp inline fuse.  Not sure what Pleasant Valley used for the wiring, but the wiring length is limited and has performed flawlessly thus far.  In addition, we had our mini van 7 pin charge line wired with 10 gauge and we have been able to maintain frig temperture and T@B battery charge without difficulty.

Mounting to the slide:  ARB recommended using  stainless M6 x 30 mm bolts and zince plated M6 fender washers as the ones that come with the ARB are too short to mount the slide.  The rubber feet need to remain between the fridge and the slide.  Also recommended using loc-tite to keep them from coming loose with vibration.  I can't remember why, but the tech at Haydocy could only lock down 3 out of the 4 feet without totally removing the slide. 

• Options
    Eric, good idea with the water bottles!
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I forgot to mention, we wanted a flush mount counter like we have seen in the T@Gs and Little Guy T@Bs with the Norcold chest frig.  Initially, we were told that we would have a stepped counter to accommodate the taller height of the ARB.  We were pleasantly surprised when it was made with the flush counter - much more usable space.  The only thing to keep in mind is the sink and stove are also higher than the T@Bs with the stepped counter/Norcold reg. frig.  As the counter height was raised to accommodate the required mounting box/ARB height,  it became a bit more shallow because of the curve of the galley sidewalls.  Also the backsplash is narrower and you can't really hang much of anything there.  However, we gained more height in the undersink cabinets.  Still thrilled with how it all turned out.  Hats off to nuCamp!
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Good stuff, thanks for sharing!  I love my ARB!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ