Options

rkj__'s Ramblings

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    How did the Alde perform in that -10 temperature?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    You (all 3) are brave and hearty souls! Very nice write up, although a little more detail about the scenic route might have been fun.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 910
    You are brave souls... But I am a bit envious!  Looks like a great adventure!!!
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Love your little trips.  Almost like being there...   Loved the “scenic drive”..   =)   That strikes close to home..
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    SAM said:
    How did the Alde perform in that -10 temperature?
    We ran the Alde on electric only, full power.  It kept the trailer comfortable, but warm blankets were required overnight.  Had we sealed up the trailer, I think it would stay quite warm.  But, overnight, we kept both side windows in the latched open a crack position, which allowed for a lot of air exchange.  We did this to prevent getting a lot of condensation inside the trailer, like we did last trip.  When we were inside the trailer during the day, we kept only one window cracked open, and were comfortable in a sweater and jeans. 

So, I'd have to say that I was content with the Alde.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    I can see how it may be difficult to keep up with the heat with the venting.  Maybe open the fan to vent plus a cracked window.  Not sure if it would make any difference.  What temperature were you able to maintain?
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    SAM said:
    I can see how it may be difficult to keep up with the heat with the venting.  Maybe open the fan to vent plus a cracked window.  Not sure if it would make any difference.  What temperature were you able to maintain?
    We don't have the Alde digital display, or any other thermometer in the trailer, so I can't tell you what the temperature was.  It was warm enough to not be too concerned.

There are lots of options / combinations available when it comes to opening windows and vents, to allow the occupants to dial in the right balance between heat and venting. 
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    Nice trip and photos! Can't beat the silence of snow amongst the pines. 
    We only crack the front window and roof vent in the cold. Seems to handle condensation fine and the bed area stays warm (no draft). 
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    What an awesome adventure!!!! Thanks for sharing the great write-up and pictures! From the content (and awesome) smile on Erika's face, you're a lucky man! Just a suggestion though....hot chocolate & peppermint schnapps...warm inside & minty fresh breath to boot! ;) That's why we call 'em snugglers around here! :)
    Camp on & have many more awesome adventures!!!!!!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ericnliz said:
    What an awesome adventure!!!! Thanks for sharing the great write-up and pictures! From the content (and awesome) smile on Erika's face, you're a lucky man! Just a suggestion though....hot chocolate & peppermint schnapps...warm inside & minty fresh breath to boot! ;) That's why we call 'em snugglers around here! :)
    Camp on & have many more awesome adventures!!!!!!
    Great tip!  Beverages is one of the areas we need to fine tune for sure.  Drinking a cold beer around the camp fire is wonderful in August, but pretty chilling in December. 
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    OMG Wonderful!!! Adventure Mutt looks like he's saying "this BETTER be the last picture of the day" hehe. 

Looks like a fabulous time!!! Amazing pictures. Thank you, thank you for sharing. You are a great story teller!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity said:

Thank you, thank you for sharing. You are a great story teller!

Thank you everyone for the kind words, I really do appreciate it. 

• Options
    FreshaireFreshaire Member Posts: 97
    @rkj_ What an inspiration you are to this newbie.  I thought I had buttoned up  my Alie Cat for the winter.  I NEVER considered towing the Tab in snow.  I will definitely be rethinking my approach to winter camping.  Thanks for the posts and your fabulous photos!
    2015 T@b 320S Maxx Outback, aka "Alie Cat"
    TV:  2012 Honda Ridgeline

Alice
    Crozet, VA
  • Options
    @Freshaire these posts reminded me of prior discussions so I searched on "snow tires" and found some informative threads. Of course, the older I get, the more heat I require, so it's highly unlikely we'll ever need to worry about snow camping.

• Options
    Freshaire said:
    @rkj_ What an inspiration you are to this newbie.  I thought I had buttoned up  my Alie Cat for the winter.  I NEVER considered towing the Tab in snow.  I will definitely be rethinking my approach to winter camping.  Thanks for the posts and your fabulous photos!

Fortunately, the highways were clear for our travels, the only towing over snow covered roads was in the park itself.  I did notice that even just one or two inches of wet snow really worked against me when backing up the trailer into the campsite.  All wheel / 4x4 tow vehicle very strongly recommended. 

With more winter trips likely, I may get to find out what it is like to tow over snow covered roads.  We'll see. 
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    We have some exciting news. 

Hilton the Adventure Mutt is getting a brother!. 

On January 13th, we will be welcoming Willard, a Standard Poodle puppy to our family. 

Of course I have to tell the story as to why we chose the name "Willard."  If you don't recall how Hilton got her name, it was because we cancelled our honeymoon reservation at the Fallsview Hilton hotel in Niagara Falls, and used the money to buy her instead.  Fast forward a year, and unfortunate circumstances overshadowed us being able to celebrate our first anniversary.  Fast forward another year, and we decided we wanted to try and celebrate our second anniversary.  We booked a fallsview room at the Marriott Hotel in Niagara Falls.  Then guess what? 

On the very weekend we had booked that hotel stay, Erica noticed there was a litter of Standard Poodle puppies available for pickup.  She has always wanted a Standard Poodle.  So what did we do?  We cancelled the hotel stay, and committed to a new puppy!  

Now, we did not like the name "Marriott," so I looked for a way to tie into the Marriott theme, without using that name.  Wikipedia was quick to inform me that the founder of Marriott International was named John Willard Marriott, Sr.

We both thought Willard was a great name, so that was that!

• Options
    A beautiful pup! Congratulations to you all!

• Options
    I pick up my 8 week old german shepherd puppy on Saturday! OMG.. I must be crazy to get a puppy and house-break in the winter. No name for him yet. 

@rkj__ BBBBBEeeeautiful pup!! Congratz! How big do you think Willard is gonna get? We can watch our puppies grow up together! <3
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    I pick up my 8 week old german shepherd puppy on Saturday! OMG.. I must be crazy to get a puppy and house-break in the winter. No name for him yet. 

@rkj__ BBBBBEeeeautiful pup!! Congratz! How big do you think Willard is gonna get? We can watch our puppies grow up together! <3

Ooh, congratulations to you as well!  I will need pictures.

We got Hilton in the winter.  One of the major downsides of our old house, was that there was no direct access from the house to the fenced yard.  So, to let the dog out, each time, we had to put on a coat, walk out the door, and open the gate to the backyard, and let her do her thing.  Fortunately, the house we are in now has direct access to the fenced yard. 

Willard should grow to be fairly tall, but fairly slendar.  Probably somewhere around 55-60 lb. 
  • Options
    Rkj - is Willard a mix?  Very cute puppy.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    SAM said:
    Rkj - is Willard a mix?  Very cute puppy.
    Nope, mama and papa are both standard poodles. 

• Options
    I thought poodles are only solid color?  Will his coat change?  I have cats and know nothing about dogs, but I have always admired standard poodles.  They are smart and they prance when they walk.
  • Options
    SAM said:
    I thought poodles are only solid color?  Will his coat change?  I have cats and know nothing about dogs, but I have always admired standard poodles.  They are smart and they prance when they walk.
    Poodles can certainly be multi-coloured.  I've been told his coat will lighten up, and the colours will be less bold if he is trimmed short, but he will not appear solid coloured.
  • Options
    Our Guinness was black with a sprinkling of white on his muzzle when we got him at 8 weeks, hence the name, then turned totally gray! I understand the dog world calls it blue, huh. While we call him a mutt, he is a full standard at 75 pounds and we do love him and his poodle prance. Sometimes he appears more intelligent than us. Other times, he's dumb as a rock, not unlike the rest of us I guess.  Your pack is going to have double the fun!

• Options
    Twojgrams said:
    Our Guinness was black with a sprinkling of white on his muzzle when we got him at 8 weeks, hence the name, then turned totally gray! I understand the dog world calls it blue, huh. While we call him a mutt, he is a full standard at 75 pounds and we do love him and his poodle prance. Sometimes he appears more intelligent than us. Other times, he's dumb as a rock, not unlike the rest of us I guess.  Your pack is going to have double the fun!
    I hope our little guy holds on to some of his colour, time will tell. 
  • Options
    Awwwww. The Willard picture caused this Grinch's heart to grow 5x bigger! *sigh* What a cutie.
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    I am not even a dog owner and I think he’s cute...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Hey T@bbers, it's been too long.  We're a couple months into Winter here in Ontario, and I'm seeing memes like the one below posted on social media way to often...

Fortunately for Erica and I, we are well equipped to not let the snow stop us from camping.  And that's a real good thing, because I think we both really needed a weekend away.  We've been talking a bunch about all our grand camping plans for the summer, and making bookings as soon as the 5 month window opens up for our Provincial Parks.  Too much talking, and not enough doing can leave a camper feeling a little down. 

There are very few parks open for winter camping, but fortunately, we have one only about an hour away called Valens Conservation Area.  Their sales pitch sounds like this:

Looking for a northern feel without the drive? Valens Lake offers you the look and feel of the 'north', right in your own backyard! The area is a 300-hectare mecca for campers, anglers and outdoor lovers alike.

It's winter, so no booking are necessary.  With only a short drive, we were able to have a nice breakfast at home, and hit the road when we were ready.  We had gotten some snow the night before, and more was expected for Saturday.  The roads in our subdivision were a little sloppy, but the main roads and highway were in good shape for our travels. 

We arrived at the gate house, and were instructed to simply drive in, pick a site, and come back to the gate house to pay up.  Of course, we targeted an electrical site, near the one comfort station that was open.  We landed on a pull through site, somewhat recently plowed, with a little over 6 inches of snow.  Oh, did I mention I forgot a snow shovel?  Oh well, we remembered our boots!

Valens has 10+ km of trail, but we did not make any big plans, because we had the newest member of our pack on this trip!

There was a little lookout very close to our site, so we headed there.  Adventure Puppy did great. 

I will admit, that there, is about as adventurous as our weekend got!  I think the whole crew was ok with that though.  The dogs got all the time outside they needed to burn off their steam, and Erica and I got some much needed down time. 

Sunday's weather was a bit of a mixed bag anyways.  Winds were kicking the snow off the trees, and later it started raining. 

I think Valens has a lot to offer.  It really did make us feel like we were much further north than we were.  The park was very quiet, and the people we did come across were all super friendly.  It's a park we might just have to go back to. 

The drive home went well, and we were home with plenty of day left. 

Winter camping continues to offer challenges.  I really need to find a way to up my campfire game.  Building a fire on a block of ice, with a sub-zero wind blowing, and keeping it hot continues to challenge me.  Though we manage it better now, some of the condensation in the trailer is unstoppable, like under the rear hatch.  I suppose we could insulate the pass-through cabinet doors, but for how often we camp in the winter, I'm not sure it's worth it, or how well it would even work. 

Since it was above freezing, I took the opportunity to give the T@b a sponge bath when we got unpacked.  It looks much better without the winter slush on it.  It will sit pretty until we are ready for our next trip.  We love that the T@b has everything we need to get away, any time of the year. 

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @rkj__, Once again thanks for sharing yet another adventure! :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Put water back in the trailer last night. Yay. 

The local weather still looks poor, so for our upcoming trip, we will be pointing the compass south, and taking our T@b to the USA. Unfortunately that means our puppy can’t come, as he got his rabies shot less than 30 days ago.