rkj__'s Ramblings

Comments

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Ok @rkj__, I am keeping track of your Parks adventures and putting it in my book (that has yet to arrive.. on sticky notes now). I love your ramblings and photos!! Thank you!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Ratkity said:
    Ok @rkj__, I am keeping track of your Parks adventures and putting it in my book (that has yet to arrive.. on sticky notes now). I love your ramblings and photos!! Thank you!
    Thanks!

Though we have enjoyed every trip this summer in its own way, I think it is fair to say, the further north in Ontario we go, the happier we are. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    I really like your "travelog". My wife is sitting on the sofa/couch/princess place and I sent this link over to her.  Grin...  We like to keep in touch.  Lucky we both text.
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

Ratkity said:
    I bought just a usb with extra outlets thingie at Home Depot. I found out the usb lights up green when empty and turn red when something is in them! Ok.. what's with the lights. lol. 
    I didn't realize the USB connectors were a problem.  We are looking at this type...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M4IRD0J?tag=dradisplay-20&ascsubtag=54d73baec203eea5651afa6a7420dc20_CT&ref=dra_a_rv_bb_hn_xx_P3159_200
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

edited September 2017
    With the kids back in school, the busiest time of year for our provincial parks is over.  That means, the more premium sites are easier to book on short notice.  Thus, our fall trips will typically have our T@b parked really close to a lake. 

To kick things off, we headed to Oastler Lake provincial park.  We arrived in the dark, so we could not really see what kind of view we had.  As per usual, we leveled the trailer, and crawled in.  Now, I must mention one of the downsides of this location.  Trains.  The park is located near a set of very regularly used train tracks.  The tracks also cross nearby roads.  That means train whistles.  Put it all together, and you have loud noises, every 50 minutes or so, all night long.  To be fair, we were warned by many Trip Advisor posts, as well as the park's website. 

Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, I did not sleep that well the first night, but afternoon naps helped with that. 

We were both very happy with what we saw in the morning though. 

A few steps down to the lake, and we had our own little private piece of beach.  It was extra nice, because the upper part of our campsite was not super private, and we did have some, uh, interesting neighbours to the left.  We spent most of the weekend down there. 

Since the park was fairly small, we decided to take kayaks instead of bicycles for this trip.  Launching from our site was super convenient. 

For the second night, we made sure to keep the T@b windows closed for a little extra noise insulation, and the fan running, for a little white noise.  We slept better as a result, though I did still hear some train whistles. 

The T@b is still doing well, but the kitchen faucet is leaking pretty significantly, so we will need to get that repaired, hopefully before our next trip. 

edited September 2017
    I took the T@b to our dealer for some repairs while we are still under the 6 month warranty.

They replaced the USB charging station that was not charging and the drippy faucet.  

The faucet has a longer neck, to put the stream of water closer to the centre of the sink, but cheap looking clear plastic knobs.  It does not seem to be leaking, and cost me nothing, so I'll take it.  One day maybe we will replace it with a more valuable piece.

And as a nice bonus, they washed the trailer. 
    edited October 2017
    Well, once again, we got back from another great trip, unpacked, had some dinner, showered, and crawled into bed.  I pull out my laptop, to upload some photos, and do some rambling.  However, every single time, my ramblings are interrupted by our cat...

But anyways...

We spent the weekend at Killbear Provincial Park.  We loved the quiet fall camping experience.  Fewer kids, less noise, more empty sites.  It just feels more relaxing in the fall, compared to the summer, when the parks are booked solid.

Our site was nice and large, perched up nice and high to give nice views.  I had to kick the truck into 4x4 to pull the T@b over some roots, up to its resting place for the weekend.  We got the trailer level without any fuss, and left it hitched to the truck. 

The temperatures were fairly low, but the Alde kept our T@b super cozy all weekend. 

Saturday morning was fairly cool, so sitting around our campsite outside was not a great option, so we chose to do something active.  Since we left the truck hitched to the trailer, we used our bikes to get around the park.  Killbear has a nice cycling path that runs parallel to the main park road.  That helps keep the cyclists safe, and leaves the narrow road open for the cars.  We of course wanted our dog to join us on the hike, and she did a great job on leash while we rode our bikes a few km at a slow pace to the trailhead.

The Lookout Point gave a nice view as promised.

There were lots of people at the lookout, but it did not take away from the experience. 

After the hike, we crawled back into the trailer for a really great nap. 

Some campgrounds in the park were closed for the season, and maybe that was part of the reason we saw so many deer.

Oh, and did I mention there was tons of great shoreline?  Lots of nice rocky pieces, and lots of nice sandy beaches too.  We also got to enjoy some nice sunrises and sunsets.

Next weekend, we will be using the T@b as an extra bedroom, as we pack our house with guests for Thanksgiving.

Can we sneak in one more trip before winterizing the trailer?
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited October 2017
    @rkj__, Thanks for sharing your trip, and the great pictures. Sneaking in one more trip will depend a lot on just HOW cold it gets. One day of down to freezing...not bad...two or three...not so good. I'd be leaning towards the cautious side myself. At any rate, have fun out there. :)
    I guess it all kinda depends on whether or not you're using water in the trailer, or the campground facilities. I know there's folks here on the forum that use their T@Bs for hotel rooms when on skiing trips in the winter, so it's doable. Just a matter of making the appropriate accommodations for the weather. ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

We really love your ramblings rjk...  keep it up...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

Love the ramblings too! Maybe one more weekend :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Lovely locations!
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

While not directly T@b related, we got a new piece of camping gear that we are pretty excited about. 

Last night, I picked up a 14ft Scott Explorer canoe.  It was pretty cheap, appears sea-worthy, and is pretty light.  My kayak should be sold by the end of the night.

Next, I will have to come up with a rack for the rear of the pickup that meets the requirements I have in mind.  I used a painter's step ladder to get the canoe home, but that is definitely not ideal.

AWESOME!!!! Go-Go Adventure Mutt!! Absolutely love it. Thanks for sharing.
    @rkj__, As always, thanks for sharing your adventure! Your pup will get used to the canoe. They have to get their "sea legs" too 'ya know! ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

Oh, and by the way...Nice canoe rack!!! :)
    Spokane, Wa.

ericnliz said:
    Oh, and by the way...Nice canoe rack!!! :)

Thanks.  The canoe rack was a pretty low budget affair.  The Yakima bar over the cab was bought used for $25, and the rear is a simple 2x4 construction, with metal brackets in the corners, and some horizontal pieces, that I use c-clamps to hold in the rails for my roll up tonneau cover.  My truck has no stake pockets, and I did not want to remove the rails for the tonneau cover, so I had to do a little thinking.  It held pretty steady.

I stiffened up the mid horizontal pieces a bit more after this picture was taken, but you get the idea.

edited November 2017
    Well well well, thanks to all the good reading on this forum, I was able to tackle the task of winterizing today without fear.  I'm pretty confident I should have no issues with freeze damage.  

I used the blow out method, using my Viair 300P compressor, and 45psi regulator.  It worked very well.  You certainly don't need a big fancy compressor to get the job done.  

I bought way too much antifreeze, but that's fine.  You really don't need much!

The one thing I learned was that ear plugs are a good idea.  It got real loud in that little bathroom when blowing out the toilet flush.  
    Rkj,
    (first, it took 4 times before I wrestled my autocorrect to the ground and it let me type your username).

I like your canoe.  We had an large aluminum Grumman years ago and it weighed 80 pounds.  Took it up to the boundary waters.  Lots of fun, lots of portaging, lots of bugs.  We carried it on top of a 1977 chevette (new then).  I think it stuck out 4 feet on front and back.  Right now I wished we hadn’t sold it, but we weren’t using it.  How heavy is yours.  My mate is small and doesn’t have the strength for a big carry.  We tried a tandem kayak, but she thought it was too unstable..  

i like your canoe rack.  I did something similar for the bed of our truck.  We can carry two bikes or our tandem, and pack stuff around the bikes.  I looked into all kinds of bike carry ideas, but settled on this.  

I stiffened it up with el brackets and added carry handles.  Then painted it and added our camper name...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

edited November 2017
    TerryV6 said:
    Rkj,
    (first, it took 4 times before I wrestled my autocorrect to the ground and it let me type your username).

I like your canoe.  We had an large aluminum Grumman years ago and it weighed 80 pounds.  Took it up to the boundary waters.  Lots of fun, lots of portaging, lots of bugs.  We carried it on top of a 1977 chevette (new then).  I think it stuck out 4 feet on front and back.  Right now I wished we hadn’t sold it, but we weren’t using it.  How heavy is yours.  My mate is small and doesn’t have the strength for a big carry.  We tried a tandem kayak, but she thought it was too unstable..  

i like your canoe rack.  I did something similar for the bed of our truck.  We can carry two bikes or our tandem, and pack stuff around the bikes.  I looked into all kinds of bike carry ideas, but settled on this.  

I stiffened it up with el brackets and added carry handles.  Then painted it and added our camper name...
    I have not weighed the canoe, but the for sale ad said it was about 50 LB, and I believe it.  Kevlar was out of budget, so I shifted my focus to short fibreglass canoes.  Most canoes I found for sale were about 16ft, and 60 LB.  A little too heavy.  So, without upgrading the material, going smaller was the best way to save weight.  

I tried to sell my wife on kayaking too, but she was not buying it.  She and I are able to handle the canoe well.  It's not well suited to backcountry / portaging trips, but great for shorter paddles.  

One day I might pick up some of those fork mounts, to save a little time instead of using nothing but straps to hold the bikes. 

Those carry handles on your rack are a nice touch! 
    Ours was an 18 footer...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

TerryV6 said:
    Ours was an 18 footer...
    My parents had a 17.5ft canoe when my sister and I were growing up. It handled two adults, two kids, and enough gear for 4 nights in the woods.  

But, it was in the 70+ LB weight class, and there was no way that would work easily for my wife and I.  I'm not sure how my dad pulled it off...
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    I love the ingenuity. We carry two kayaks on a  cap-mounted homemade rack, and two bikes in the back on a rig similar to TerryV6's.

Yakima and Thule, eat your heart out!  :-)
    2015 T@B S
    ScottG said:
    I love the ingenuity. We carry two kayaks on a  cap-mounted homemade rack, and two bikes in the back on a rig similar to TerryV6's.

Yakima and Thule, eat your heart out!  :-)
    Yakima and Thule both make nice stuff, no doubt, but dang, those prices!  I don't want my racks to cost more than the value of what they are carrying...
    Yes,  pricey... In fact, last year we bought a Thule rack to fit on our RAV4 for about 900 bucks ( not sure why we did that... suspect we were at a fancy bike shop and wanted a bike hauling solution) , but we never used it.  I’ll have to put it on Craigslist or eBay one of these days for quite a loss...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

Since the T@b is now winterized, we will not be using the bathroom as a bathroom.  To keep it useful, I put a tension rod in there to make it a closet for the warm coats we will be needing.  

I'm pretty sure I got the idea from this forum.  

I bought the shortest rod I saw at the store, but it was about an inch too long, so I had to do some cutting, hammering and gluing to the rod.  

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Good idea for winter use.  You now have a closet!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    Careful with the side to side pressure with the tension rod. You don't want to push out the outer wall. I used tiny curtain tension rods just in case!
    edited November 2017
    I've been doing the same thing over the bench.  Each of us get a few hangers on each side over the bench, and keep the centre clear for the dog.  I use my best judgment to not over-tighten the rod.  Since it is not super tight, we don't hang much weight on it.  In transit it has fallen down a few times.  I figure that is better than over-tightening, and damaging the walls.  I've considered a stick on bracket to help support the rod, but have not done that.