Options

Alde Circ Pump Setting?

In trouble-shooting my lack of heating on propane (HW works OK), I’ve hooked up the T@B to shore power to see if it’s the glycol circulating pump.  After 30 minutes it seems to be working and circulating fine.  However, I did notice the “red knob” on the circ pump is set at its lowest setting (1)...is that standard?  Why not set it higher for faster heating?

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @DurangoTaB, if this is the same thing, I have the circulating pump set for 2 in the digital Alde thermostat.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    @Verna... it’s the small “knob” on the pump itself (we have the analog thermostat).  I’ve turned the knob to “2” and it’s heating up slowly.  I’d forgotten how much slower heating is with electric (I’m on a home/15A circuit) vs. propane.  

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @DurangoTaB, If I remember correctly "2" is the factory setting for the dial on the pump (if you're referring to the red dial on the pump next to the floor by the Alde hot water reservoir). Not sure how it got turned to one. You're right in that it takes longer when using electric only. You can speed it up a little if you use propane as well. That being said, I'm pretty sure I read in the Alde manual that electric takes presidence over propane.
    @Verna, curiosity question: Have you actually heard the pump increase in speed if you try to turn the digital Alde  setting up higher than 2? The only time I've been able to increase (and hear it increase) the pump speed is by manually turning the dial on the pump itself.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    @ericnliz, I set the pump at 2 when I replaced the thermostat and I haven’t changed it. I can hear the pump kick on when first connecting, but it has been sufficent so I haven’t experimented. If it’s not broke, it’s staying as is ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    So, we visited nuCamp today and had the high altitude propane regulator placed and a leak repaired in the new license plate holder.  I was cleaning, and while under the bench, I took a look at the Alde circulation pump manual setting which was set at 1 and I realized that we had set the circulation pump at 2 on the digital control panel.  I asked Austin and he reported that if you have a pump that has the manual setting, that is what you use to set the pump speed.  He said in this scenario, the digital control panel does not adjust the pump speed!  It does not include this info anywhere in the Alde or TaB manual.  He said that early on they received some pumps without the manual setting and the pump speed can be controlled with the digital control panel.  So, who has the pump without the manual setting and has upgraded to the digital control panel?  Verna?  Chan?  Mike?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @SAM, remind me Saturday and I’ll look. Very busy week!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    OK.  I just think it is funny that we have been using that feature on the control panel thinking that we were actually doing something.  Our pump is silent and no wonder, it is running at the lowest setting.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    I am VERY sensitive to noise. I have my manual red knob set about 1.5. Anything higher becomes an annoyance.  This setting has worked fine for two years in the Southwest (I.e. The Alde puts out plenty of heat at the lower pump setting).
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Tabaz - yes, we are fine with our current setting.  Austin said that the higher circ settings are for larger RVs and not really necessary for the TaBs.  I also wonder if CS owners hear less noice because the reservoir is behind the hatch in the bathroom.  Do you have the digital display?
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Can someone please post a photo of what the Alde pump with a dial looks like & showing where it's located?
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    edited October 2022
    Similar discussion here...see RollingLagrima’s pic of the pump; it’s a little hard to see the red “dial” as it’s down near the floor and sideways:
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/5716/alde-troubles

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    OK Verna.  When you can, check your Alde pump.  Do you have the pump without the manual setting and the digital Alde display?  If so, you are the lucky winner to have a digital display that should control the pump!
  • Options
    At half time I will....IU at Michigan......I’m not talking to Michigan_Mike right now!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Go Hoosiers!
  • Options
     :) 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Oh, my! An Admin & moderator college basketball battle! :rofl: Go ZAGS!!!! They won last night by the way!!!! =)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    < Clearing throat  >.  Ahhh, two Admins, @ericnliz!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Excuse the need to vacuum.....it appears I have no settings on the pump.  So, my digital thermostat does nothing for the pump, right?

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Winner!  Verna, according to Austin, the pumps without the manual adjustment tab are controlled via the digital display.  Try it some time and let us know.  Turn it up to 5 and listen and then turn down and see if the bubbling does not reduce.
  • Options
    OK, I”’ll try it this week. Time to be packing  B)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited December 2017
    Found our pump, with a little help from my cell phone camera to "see" into a blind corner.

Looks like ours is set to "1", but this was perfectly adequate on a couple of nights in the upper 30's, just by keeping the thermostat set to around 68 to 70.  We've been very impressed with the Alde's ability to keep us warm.   It sure beats the Army days I remember sleeping on the cold hard ground with nothing but a sleeping bag & waking up to everything covered by frost.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Hey @SAM, I’m winterized, so I won’t be able to try it for a while. I’ll try it when de-winterized. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    BrianZ, yes, 1 is fine as the Tabs have small radiator runs.  Do you have a 320?  I wonder if the 400 has the same manually set pump?
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Oooops! Sorry @Verna. :s
    ( Must not have had enough :coffee:, I REALLY do know better! :))
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    OK Verna.  Are you going to work in a cold trailer?
  • Options
    No, the Alde will have to be on this week with the forecast.  So, this is the circulation pump for the glycol?  Then, I’ll try this week. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Yes, Verna.  I want to see if using your digital display changes your pump speed and is it audible.  Thanks!
  • Options
    AMacAMac Member Posts: 75
    SAM said:
    BrianZ, yes, 1 is fine as the Tabs have small radiator runs.  Do you have a 320?  I wonder if the 400 has the same manually set pump?
    Our 400 does have the manual setting.
  • Options
    AMac - what # setting is it on?
  • Options
    @SAM, the display only allows me to change from 1 to 2 or back to 1.  My hearing isn’t the best and I sure couldn’t tell any difference in the sound of the pump with the seat off. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN