BAL Leveler for the 400?

SystemSystem Posts: 180
edited January 2018 in Trailer & Towing
This discussion was created from comments split from: Leveling.

Comments

• gooddogs74gooddogs74 Member Posts: 76
    Is anyone using the BAL leveler with the Tab 400?

2018 T@b 400
  • AlanAlan Member Posts: 120
    I have used the BAL for the 400. The added weight of the 400 is noticeable. I am a little concerned about rachet remaining functional.
  • lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    I am considering a 400 and have also wondered about the BAL leveler for use with it.  It appears the rating on the BAL is 1,750 lbs.  Assuming that a loaded 400 weights 3500 lbs less 400 on the tougue gives 3100 on the wheels.  Divide by two and you have 1550 lbs on each wheel.  This appears to be with in limits.  

I have broken two ratchet wrenches using the BAL with my 320, the original and a Craftsman.  I am currently using the fixed end of the Craftsman.  I need to do some research on that the strongest ratchet wrench is before buying another.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    This thread, started by @Tabaz discussed a cordless drill for use with the Bal, but no idea if it would work on the heavier 400!
    http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/4883/drill-for-raising-the-bal-leveler
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @Twojgrams, an 18V cordless drill will probably lift for a bit and then stop. I have a 20V DeWalt cordless hammer drill. That would lift it, but I'd put it in screw mode rather than drill mode to keep the motor from the stress. I think in the end, you'll still be doing the last bit manually. Just my coupla pennies! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Ratkity....is that 2 sense? =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    I can feel the weight of the 320 with the Rigid hammer/drill.  It is not effortless.  I really doubt a drill would work with the extra weight of the 400.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
    I agree with the Anderson levelers. That's all I've ever used, and their simplicity is great.
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    Those who use the Anderson levelers - do you think they're any different/better than the tri-leveler? Have you had the issue with the difficulty getting the coupler off/on the ball? I used the BAL leveler for my year on the road but started using the tri-leveler as I like the simplicity. But both times I used it, I had a real problem with the coupler (thinking it's that extra pressure on it) and had to move the truck a bit to get the release (which is a pain since I'm by myself). Wondered if the Anderson would be any different. I might sell my BAL at T@Bazona but may have to go back to using it if I continue to have the coupler/ball issue.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

@mickietucs, I've used the Anderson leveler ever since we got our T@B. The sweet thing about the Anderson is that it's also a wheel chock as well. I've had the ball sticking issue, & just move the TV a little (doesn't take much) and it releases. Just takes a little patience & knowing which direction to move, back, or forward to release. ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    In have been hesitant try the Anderson revelers because it seemed like they would work better with 2 people, but they might be great now that I have installed the Bluetooth leveling monitor.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Give 'em a try @jkjenn, you'll love the simplicity & ease of using them. :)
    Spokane, Wa.

@ericnliz - I guess that's the key (to know which direction to move the tv and then to not move it too much)! 

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

@mickietucs, I've done it by myself before with a 6" level, just takes a little patience. You just back up, or pull forward, get out & check level & adjust accordingly. Really doesn't take that long & the big plus is the wedge it comes with acts like a wheel chock & it is light weight. :)
    Spokane, Wa.

@ericnliz - I like the Tri-leveler as it's one piece and I just get on whatever level I need (easy) and then chock it. What was hard for me is getting the coupler off (or on when I get ready to leave). A kind soul at Catalina showed me how to spot where it gets hung up (toward the front or back) and I have to ever so slightly move the tv to get the latch to lock down. But he was there to guide me. Now I'll have to do it by myself. I'm guessing even with the Anderson the issue is the same (that bit of angle puts pressure on the coupler/lock). I'm going to try it when I get up to Apache Junction Sunday (going to McDowell Regional Park before T@bazona).

• JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    I have not had any more or less problems getting the trailer off my hitch because of the Andersen levelers.  If the hitch binds up, it usually only takes a tug or push on the trailer to uncouple it.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed