T@B S or CS-S

bmetinCObmetinCO Member Posts: 15
Hello, we are having trouble deciding on the clam shell or the not the clamshell.  I know with the CS we would have more storage inside, but would give up some bed space.  
Also with the outside kitchen my wife would have to go outside to get me a beer, so I would never get one!  
Anyone have trouble making this decision?  

Comments

• bmetinCObmetinCO Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! 
  • 2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    @bmetinCO- Totally a personal choice.  For us... CS-S or nothing!  It was the clamshell that sold us.  Good luck!
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    I have a clamshell and I love it. But I just made the switch from tent camping to a trailer, so that's where I'm coming from.
    If you are planning on using the trailer to visit family and friends and staying in suburban driveways the non-clamshell model is probably better. Same if you like camping in really cold weather.  
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @bmetinCO, we are on the opposite side of this discussion. We have a standard design t@b, with the big bed, kitchen inside and not so much storage. We were completely new to rv'ing and I would still do the same again. There are 4 of us, DH, me and two boys currently aged 11 & 12. Our first trip was an epic journey covering almost 7 weeks, 25 states and over 10,000 miles. We keep everything for meals in the kitchen, except the weber grill. We pack all clothing in totes, which travel in the t@b. Solar, tools and supplies are packed in the t@b. Trailer spare, cooler for travel food, grill and folding bikes for the kids are in the tow vehicle. And yes, we all sleep on the bed, although I sit upright to sleep. This trailer fits OUR needs perfectly, including cuteness. However, you have to consider how you will use it and decide which one fits YOUR needs and style. Good luck with your decision. I personally don't think you can go wrong with either, because it's a t@b!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 87
    dont like the idea of cooking inside
    She' not fond of really cold weather although we did live in our 37' travel trailer last winter in Colorado.  
    I'm working with the dealer on what options/mods we can do to be able to camp below freezing (insulation and or heating the underbelly).  
  • johntreacyjohntreacy Member Posts: 31
    I went through the same process recently and decided on the 320S. The bigger bed when there's two of us, and the option, when there's just me, of having a sideways twin while still leaving the table up, were big influencers. A lot of my use will be one-nighters on the way to and from festivals, so arriving for an overnight stop with little setup to do is a plus. The S also gives us the three-way fridge, which I think we'll like. 
    I don't expect I'll cook food on the inside stove all that often. I have outdoor cooking gear that I've had for years and will set that up when I need it. There is more than enough room in the truck for what I would need to bring. But making coffee without going outside will be a luxury in the morning. 
    It was a hard choice, though. The clamshell kitchen is pretty cool and doesn't require bringing an additional stove for outside cooking. 
    Olympia, WA
    2018 T@B 320S Sofitel 
    2017 Tacoma SR5 AC 4x4 w/ 6 cyl Towing Package

• rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    The "coffee in the morning without going outside" rational always makes me chuckle.  There is plenty of room inside our CS for a coffee maker, toaster and such with out going outside.  In fact we keep those things in the pass through cabinets between the kitchen and interior so they are easily reached from either side.
    We really like that our bedroom is totally separate from the kitchen and we are ready to camp and cook anytime, anywhere without any set-up.  We had many years of light weight travel and camping prior to our T@B  and the outside kitchen with a stand up interior was the feature that sold us on the T@B.  We cook extensively while traveling and appreciate all the preparation room this set-up provides and that the mess and odor stays outside.  We don't have to pick up the bedroom to make room for cooking either.
    Priorities and preferences make the ideal camper different for each of us.  We would not give up the interior space for the wet bath option either, but it is a very popular option.
    Have fun finding your way!!

• ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Makin' coffee outside is just a part of wakin' up & shockin' the other well-seasoned folks like myself that get up way too early with any configuration of jammies/clothes I think I can get away with! Besides, makes 'em wonder if they're actually awake, or havin' a REAL bad dream! :coffee::rofl::o;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    One of the things on my short list of "wants" for a camper was a bed in which two people could sleep lying front-to-back as opposed to the far more common wheel-to-wheel orientation. The indoor sink is also handy for washing and tooth-brushing before bed.

In addition, having to open and close a kitchen hatch on a regular basis sounds like a PITA.

Of course, you won't find these arguments particularly compelling if they are not priorities for you. At the scale of a T@B you're gonna be compromising something, so contemplating and organizing your own priorities is probably the hardest part of the decision.
    2015 T@B S
    ScottG said:
    <snip> 
    Of course, you won't find these arguments particularly compelling if they are not priorities for you. At the scale of a T@B you're gonna be compromising something, so contemplating and organizing your own priorities is probably the hardest part of the decision.
    Exactly. I first needed something that fit in my garage (T@B or popup/AFrame) and did not require any setup on an overnight stop (sorry popup!) Once we were in a space that small, our priority was comfort sleeping, but the discussion went back and forth for quite a while. If the bed was as big and offered the same configurations on the clamshell, we may likely have chosen that instead. 
    Olympia, WA
    2018 T@B 320S Sofitel 

We will go sit in both of them (again) and see which one seems like the one.  
    We thought of having an electric coffee setup that could come inside, but I am not going to be at an electric site every night and I AM going to have coffee every morning.  :-)
    Olympia, WA
    2018 T@B 320S Sofitel 

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    If we want coffee inside, we have a very portable butane burner to heat up some water inside.  Of, if at an electric site, you can use an electric coffee pot or tea kettle.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @mgreen2 a big part of camping for me is cooking outside, but I also like options. This is my solution and I’m beyond happy with it! I love my inside kitchen but do 99% of my cooking outside. Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    I live my S but admit to longing stares at the CS. Especially the 2018s with the gigantic bureau in front. The bench was cool. The bureau is STORAGE!!

We have only boiled water inside the S and that only twice. 
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
    @marknjudy- Agree about the bench... so this Fall DH built us a bureau! Can’t wait for snow to melt and get out and try it!!!

@2cougs, that looks awesome! I commend his talent. Looks factory built. 
    @marknjudy- I will share your kind words with him.  It is great to be married to a woodworker! ;) 

Please do!
    After 2 or 3 hours at the dealer, we love the clam shell!  A bench would be nice up front for Ori (border collie mix), but the storage will allow us to have extended camping trips.  
    We really want to be able to camp most of the year, so we are looking into getting tank heaters added.  We will keep you posted! 
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    Congratulations @bmetinCO! Now you can plan and dream of future fun with your Tab CS! Enjoy the journey!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    edited February 2018
    Thanks for the accolades, but no money has exchanged hands yet.  But we keep coming back to the T@B so I'm sure it won't be long.  
    edited March 2018
    It' the T@B S with flavors of Boondock sprinkled on... 
    Pitched axle, off-road tires and spare, front aluminum platform.  
    We also went with dual 6 volt batteries and I am having the dealer do a custom tongue enclosure.  We pick it up today and I will try to get pictures added soon.  
    We liked the White side color, but only the dealer only had a white Boondock in stock.  The S with my options was considerably less just for the flooring and roof rack.  So we had to get Silver/Silver with Mystic Marble interior.  It's going to be awesome! 
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @bmetinCO, congratualtions on your trailer and welcome to the t@b family! Many adventures await. Enjoy!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.