External Grey Water Holding Tank Has Me Stumped!

I am doing some work at a site for the next three months and my employer has nicely provided me with a grey water holding tank (along with power and water hookups... what luxury! Seriously!).

The problem is, these huge grey water holding tanks are pretty much made for large RVs or well, I'm not sure what they are made for.  Because my grey water drain is currently 10" from ground... and the grey water tank opening is 16" from ground!

Oops... water doesn't flow uphill!  Anyone have any ideas (other than draining into a container and then dumping that container into the large grey water holding tank) about a way that I can hook up with a standard sewer hose?  

For additional information it doesn't appear the opening on the top of the storage tank opens - only the one on the side that you can see clearly in the picture below.  I do have the cap that allows me to hook up a regular water hose from the outlet on the T@B if that's helpful. Oh and I don't think I'm allowed to dig and bury it here, it's huge! And no, I'm not using it for the black tank, grey water only.

So problem solvers and brainstormers, any ideas?  I'm stumped!

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Any chance you can move that grey tank below the current level?  It looks like there is a downward slope behind the Tab.  Maybe turn the Tab so the outlet faces downhill and use a regular hose to drain it into the provided tank.  Does the provided tank accommodate a regular sewer hose?  Or, use a smaller, portable grey tank (one you can lift) and when full, place it above or on top of the provided tank and let it drain using a siphon.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    You can always connect a drill pump to your tubing and then pump out grey water manually. It looks like your fresh water is coming from your grey water tank.

As for the hose, you can get a sewer/grey water cap with a hose adaptor built in at Camping World. 

Third thing... flip the tank over so your water can enter the tank. In the current position, NO grey water will store inside that tank (or only a cup or so). 

Last thing. Water weights 8.3 lbs per gallon. I don't know how many gallons that holding tank is, but you'd better have some wheels or a cart to move that sucker! I'm assuming you have a place to dump it. You can use the drill pump to empty the tank as well.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    @SAM good eyes!  There is actually a bit of a cliff drop off there, but unfortunately I can't put anything down there.  Not only because it's off the land I can use, but also the pump company will need to pump out the tank and they won't be able to access it down there either.  

The tank itself allows a regular sewer hose to screw into it securely (which I have).

@Ratkity I had to laugh! Yes, it does look like my fresh water is connected to the grey tank, but it's actually looping under the T@B to reach the water outlet.  That gives me an excuse to show the amazing scenery here (and prove I'm not getting my water from a grey holding tank!).

As part of the contract, a pumping company comes out every few weeks and pumps the grey tank (300 gallons!) so luckily it's not meant to be moved and I don't have to dump it myself.

But I think you hit it on the head - I didn't know there was such a thing as a Drill Pump.  I don't actually have a drill.  I'll do some research, but if anyone has an inexpensive suggestion for a drill pump and drill, please let me know!

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @HR_Taly, the best drill pump I found is through Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Milescraft-Inc-1314-Drill-Pump/dp/B00F1ZJG5E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1517250831&sr=8-3&keywords=drill+pump

I had purchased a drill pump at one of the big box stores and it just didn't do the job. Each end of the drill pump takes female hose end.

A cordless 20V drill that can do 2800 rpms will empty a 20 gal tank in 5 minutes using 1 battery. A smaller cordless drill will use a couple of batteries. Since you have electricity, you won't have to spend the extra money on a battery-operated drill and could find a nice electric drill that works at 2800 rpm. Working constantly, the drill will get warm. I would recommend a good quality drill.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    If you're going to be there for 3 months and you really want to use that gray tank can you elevate the trailer somehow? Concrete blocks? 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Too Bad that you can not slide the tank back a couple feet to drop the height.  Block it up good so it does not slide down the hill.  The pump truck should have enough hose to reach it.  Instead of the Drill pump you might look at a small transfer pump that has a small 120v motor attached to the pump.  The drill pumps don't hold up very well.  Might check out a farm store, local hardware store or Harbor freight.  Looks like a nice cool spot!  Good luck and enjoy!
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    If that's a 300 gallon tank there must be a good portion of it buried below the box visible in the photo. I don't think you'll be sliding it anywhere!  ;-)
    2015 T@B S
  • dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    I like Marceline's idea.  You need some tall ramps and good chocks.  Pull or back the Tab up onto the ramps and use something under your stabilizers to extend their length.  Will also need another step for entry.  That should get you the height you need without using a pump.  Then just use regular sewer hose.  You may have to lift it to encourage it to drain completely, but worth a try.  Sure would beat lifting a heavy portable gray tank.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    Well, Horrible Freight, er... Harbor Freight to the rescue again I think!  Thanks for the transfer pump idea @atlasb.  I found a 12v Transfer pump for $39.95 at Harbor Freight I think I'll purchase!  Although drill pumps look great, I'd have to get the drill and the pump and I think the below is a reasonable cost investment, considering! With the cap on my grey water outlet that accepts a regular hose that I already have, with this and an extra length of hose I think I'd have a good solution.  Now to find one of those coupons for Harbor Freight too!   B)

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-dc-transfer-pump-63324.html

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to respond giving me great ideas, and great things to try.  I am not sure I'll ever make a T@B gathering while I'm in the USA, but I should start tracking the number of people I owe a beer (or tasty beverage of their choice!) in case I ever do!  =)

• ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @HR_Taly, Had to chuckle at the comment about the beer, or tasty beverage. I'd have to fill a shopping cart for all the help I've received here! That's why, when I attend rallies, I bring the Pit Barrel and BBQ. I figure it's the LEAST I can do for the re-payment of the help I've received here! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf