Options

T@Bs not allowed??

Has anyone ever been to a  campground/resort where T@Bs are not allowed?  I've been seeing some mention of Class A, Class B etc and wonder if T@Bs are welcome most places.....??

Comments

• Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    We have run across some "luxury campgrounds" that have a minimum length of 40 feet and only accept bus type RV's. There is one in the Florida Keys but they are fairly rare. Most campgrounds are very happy to see a T@B, we have never been turned away.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • Options
    LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136
    I have seen some RV parks where the trailer cannot be older than 10 years. I can see where this might be a bit hard to enforce. T@B age very well and most PPL will not be able to guess its age...

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB

• Options
    sandhillsandhill Member Posts: 4
    We actually made reservations over the phone this past week.  The campground called us back the next day and told us that they don't allow "teardrop campers". They explained that campers staying at their park had to have shower/toilet/gray and black water tanks.  We told him that we DO have those things.....he then said we were ok yet was surprised we had all those things in such a small trailer.  It does state on their Website that "they are a Class A resort. All equipment must be self contained." I guess i feel lucky that we picked a T@B with a bathroom now.....I didn't realize that there were places you couldn't go without one!
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Age of RV. That's an interesting filter. Makes me wonder what exactly they're filtering out. Also makes me think I'd really prefer to be filtered out!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    I suspect the “age of vehicle” limit started in an attempt to keep out those who can’t afford to keep their trailers in pristine condition.  It assumes a trailer older than 10 years is more likely to look shabby and is an objective way to exclude the potential look of campground shabbiness.  Since shabbiness is subjective, placing an age limit eliminates the guesswork of what rates poorly.  Another thing I thought of, if I was an RV company that affiliates with certain campground types, wouldn’t you promote the need to buy a newer RV?  But, if you need to check a model year on the title, what’s the point?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    JoeJoe Member Posts: 72
    edited February 2018
    We ran across an RV resort in Port Aransas Texas that required RVs to be at least 25 feet long and no older than 10 years.  Not sure if that place is still there after hurricane Harvey.  Port Aransas got hit hard.

At Big Bend National Park, the best campground IMHO is in the Chisos Basin.  It has a winding switchback road and all trailers must be LESS THAN 25 feet long to get around the tight turns.  No hookups.  Views are amazing.  Makes you glad to have a small trailer.

2015 Max U Outback; 2011 Chevy Silverado 4X4; Austin, Tx
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    I have lately been thinking that it could be cool to have a campground specifically for small trailers so we can still enjoy hookups but not be stuck next to a bus. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Thanks for all the comments!  I will be sure to read all of the "fine print" on the websites when booking from here on out!
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Marceline, Just hop on over to Lincoln Rock, the one in Fisherman's Bend near Salem, also in May, Tabazona, uCamp 18, or the one in September at Ft. Worden near Port Townsend. You'll see all the T@Bs, T@d@s, & T@Gs in one spot. I know at Licoln Rock last year "the other" types of RVs were the minority! :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    We're booked for uCamp18!!
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @ericnliz, I've got @Marceline down as a probably for Lincoln Rock!  =)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    The big rigs do have ONE saving grace-we can always hit them up for some ice for our gin & tonics! The ice maker was a step too far for us.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited February 2018
    Aha! No trailers larger than 12 feet! 
    Marceline said:
    I have lately been thinking that it could be cool to have a campground specifically for small trailers so we can still enjoy hookups but not be stuck next to a bus. 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    knoxville1915knoxville1915 Member Posts: 60
    @ChanW
    Can you up that to 15' for us 400 owners?? Pretty please with a solar panel on top? =)

2018 T@B 400 (Rol@nd) towed by 2012 Toyota Tundra CrewMax (C@lgon)
  • Options
    @knoxville1915, Oh....alright. ;) You're bringin' the beer & ice....right? =)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    One of the reason I was drawn to the T@B is that it's diminutive size still allows me to camp in almost any drive-up tent site.

I've got nothing whatsoever against people who own large motor homes and trailers. However, I've encountered very few places configured for those rigs where I personally want to make camp!  
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    knoxville1915knoxville1915 Member Posts: 60
    @ericnliz And darn good coffee to boot!  :)

2018 T@B 400 (Rol@nd) towed by 2012 Toyota Tundra CrewMax (C@lgon)
  • Options
    @knoxville1915, I feel the magic wand windin' up, but...DON'T FORGET THE IRISH CREAM! :lol:
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    FergieFergie Member Posts: 143
    ericnliz  Posts: 3,631Member
    "Quite frankly, I'd prefer those ghastly Greyhound buses stayed in their own parks! I've seen them come in to our favorite campground, and because of their sheer size, knock branches off trees, run over huckleberry, blackberry,  wild strawberry, blueberry and wild raspberry bushes just trying to park those suckers in a space they KNOW is too small to begin with! o  s Not to mention the 24-7 generator noise...AND you NEVER even see them come outside & enjoy the beauty of the campground! Makes ME wonder why they ever left home. Sorry, but 'ya picked a subject that REALLY sticks in my craw!!! D"

Eric, I couldn't agree more! On our trip last summer through the USA and Canada on our way to Alaska we couldn't believe the number of these be-mouths on the road, especially the further west we traveled and into Canada! Very nerve-racking following them through the mountains, especially in areas where the highway is built over tundra and has significant swells in the road. Actually these rigs ARE built on Greyhound class bus frames plus they have the big pullouts and are usually towing a jeep or other 4-wheeled drive vehicle.

The scary part is that they are often driven by people who are in their 60's or older and who only drive a few times a year on vacation. Most states don't require a special driving license for these big rigs. We talked to a lady in one parked next to us that was just returning from Alaska at a campground at Watson Lake in Canada whose older (disclosure: my age!) husband was inside sleeping and recovering for a couple of days from the stress of the trip!

Below is a picture of our rig trapped between two of these at a camp site in Destruction Bay, Yukon on our trip up the ALCON last summer. I stepped off the one on the right and it was 55 feet long! It was towing a Jeep Wrangler and sported a 400 HP bus engine! In the morning when we woke up we thought it was overcast, but it turned out we were just in the shade of these!

We learned to give them a wide berth on the road!

Fergie

• Options
    HalooHaloo Member Posts: 137
    There is a growing trend of people living full time in their campers and RVs.  Some of these folks are living on social security, pensions, or unemployment.  Often they can’t afford to buy newer, reliable campers and RVs.  Get two, or three, or four of some older weather beaten rigs in your campground and it can quickly lose the plush feeling folks are searching for on the campground ratings websites.  And if one of these older rickity rigs breaks down in your campground and the DIY’er owner starts on repairs....

The easiest way to avoid most of the visiblity and marketing issues you might face as a campground owner from having a rolling wreck in your campground is to have a standard policy of only accepting newer rigs.  Or allow only huge RVs that only the wealthy can afford.  It keeps your campground looking spiffy without overtly appearing to be discriminating against less well off folks.
    T@B 400 | F150 | Washington State
  • Options
    LibrarydragonLibrarydragon Member Posts: 103
    Sea Cliff State Beach in Aptos CA, won't let you stay if your rv isn't self contained.
    Sara&Carl
    2015 max s outback, TV 2011 RAV4, V6, 4x4, & 2017 Tacoma Off-road 4x4
    Soquel, CA
  • Options
    gregndebgregndeb Member Posts: 31
    We tried to make a reservation in Creede, Colorado that had a the minimum size restriction. we found a very nice alternate place, out of town. The resort restaurant was so good there we never went into town!
    T@B: 2018 320-CS Max
    TV: 2017 Toyota Highlander
  • Options
    robptrobpt Member Posts: 90
    Here in Florida, a lot of the older State Parks, or ones in more environmentally sensitive areas, were not laid out with big rigs in mind. I have read reviews where some in big rigs have trashed these parks because they found it too difficult to drive their rigs in on the tightly winding roads and they will complain bitterly about tree branches being too low. Of course, I've read where they blame the park for yellow jacket nests, ticks, snakes, and mosquitoes.... What they're really asking for is a big parking lot with a view. 

A few years ago, I was at Torreya State Park in North Florida in my first truck camper. I had bought an old 92 Ford F250 diesel to carry a used self contained truck camper (both long ago traded in). I was parked in spot between a group of young tent campers in a big tent and a bigger fifth wheel trailer that barely squeezed in the spot. It rained and rained with severe storm warnings. The guy in the big rig never left his home, unless it was to barbecue on the attached gas grill on the side of the trailer. I never saw his wife but once the two days we were there. I remember during one downpour, looking out the side window of the little dinette eating our dinner and seeing the poor tent campers miserable and wet. Their tent did not hold up to the deluge and they had to get extra tarps from the camp host to help minimize the water intrusion into their tent. I felt sorry for them, but I had many such experiences when I was their age. At that point, I felt I had made a good compromise. A truck camper (with no slides) is cramped and doesn't encourage you to sit indoors all day. I was there to hike the many trails around Torreya (if you ever go there, watch out for the copperheads, for some reason there's a lot of them in that area), but when it rained, I was snug as a bug in a rug. 

The 400 I now own is the absolute maximum in size that I am willing to move up to. I am getting older (I resemble that remark @Fergie made about people in their 60's who go in vacation a couple of times a year  :| , but really I am a very careful driver!) but the day that I can't physically get out and explore an area with hiking is the day I will probably give it up. 

North Florida T@B 400 towed by a 2014 Nissan Frontier
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    Sea Cliff State Beach in Aptos CA, won't let you stay if your rv isn't self contained.
    Can you elaborate on that? Are you saying they wouldn’t allow a clamshell? I can’t find anything on the website. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    Thanks @Marceline for asking that question. Alexis and I were at New Brighton State Park for President's Day weekend and took a stroll down the beach and saw Sea Cliff State Beach with all the rvs parked there. I was wondering if we would be able to get in the park with our clamshell.

Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    Sea Cliff has bathrooms and showers, so I'm not sure why you have to be self contained. 
    Sara&Carl
    Soquel, CA
  • Options
    Heading into Aptos today, I will swing by Sea Cliff and ask some questions.
    Sara&Carl
    Soquel, CA