Jensen AWM968 Entertainment System

I ran a radio reception test for my Jensen before we left on a trip. First I checked to make sure the antenna was indeed plugged into the unit (it was). I pulled my pick up right next to the T@B and tuned the truck radio to the WCBS radio station (880 AM), came in with booming reception. Jensen just had static, same test was run on local AM and FM stations, same result, booming reception on the truck, nothing on the Jensen except static. What gives? Do I need to replace that puny antenna with a larger base loaded AM/FM antenna. Just got the T@B in May 2015, kind of disappointed. Haven't even tried out the DVD/Bluetooth part of it. What gives, what is the next step?

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Give Jenson a call. They might have a suggestion about how to trouble shoot your way to better reception. I turned mine on last week in the driveway and was able to get good reception.  The number should be in your paperwork, or there is a number in the T@B manual.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • RadRad Member Posts: 516
    edited July 2015
    Ratkity said:
    Just as an aside, the aux air conditioner fan causes some RF interference. When it's on with the AC, I get horizontal lines on the television. Turn off the aux fan and the lines go away. Not sure how to solve this. If that fan can interfere with the television, then there's a chance it can mess with the antenna. Also, antennas work better the higher they are placed. 
    If you want to see lines wait until you have the Television on and you turn on the long thin under cabinet light over the stove.  Not pretty.  

Sorry no no solution from me. 
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    A guy on FB posted that he installed this and it totally fixed the interference issues.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• RadRad Member Posts: 516
    jkjenn said:
    A guy on FB posted that he installed this and it totally fixed the interference issues.
    Thanks Jenn
  • Mariner459Mariner459 Member Posts: 146
    Got to try something...radio is not picking up even in town.
  • FergieFergie Member Posts: 143
    To JoJanet:

I posted my experience with the Jensen on AM some time ago. Hope this helps.

AM Reception on the Jensen AWM968

Fergie

• Mariner459Mariner459 Member Posts: 146
    Sent inquiry to Asa Electronics from our owners manual. Meanwhile, iheart.com on roku works. Thanks!  
  • texasaubiefantexasaubiefan Member Posts: 62
    edited April 2017
    I found the the entire Jensen setup is lacking.   It's dated and I'm using workarounds.  For music, I'm using my iPhone with Bluetooth.  That works well.  For movies, i use my mac notebook with a HD output directly to the TV.  My movies are stored on an external USB hard drive where I used makemkv to to rip copies from DVD and handbrake to convert them to a MP4 format.   I use the mac for playback and redirect to the TV.   Sound is redirected thru the Jensen. For radio, I have a Sony shortwave that does a great job on all bands including ham signals,   It's doesn't work with the Jensen.   I use my mac or iPad with Netflix, Hulu, and all the other cord cutiing apps when I have wireless and redirect to the tv thru an HDTV connection when availailble.  Jensen is years behind IMO.  The fact it only supports a 4GB device and MPEG-1 and no blue ray....sad......and you have to wire a cutoff switch to stop power draw when on battery.....
    2017 T@B 320-S, Sofitel (M@bel)
    Mabel is my great grandmother that I never knew.  She took her 3 sons (ages 8-2) on an epic adventure from Alabama to Florida in the 1930's in the back of a pick up truck.  I named my female English springer spaniel after my mother.  Might as well go for broke with the brownie points in Heaven!   
    TV: 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew 
    David & Jill, Houston, TX
  • lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    edited April 2017
    I agree, the Jensen system is one of the few things I would change about the T@B Max S I have.  Radio reception is not good.  The speakers on the back wall are of mediocre quality and the placement is not good for watching movies.  We also use an iPhone for music played through a Bose bluetooth speaker that recharges on a USB cable.  The sound is fine for hanging around the campsite.  I think the one change I would like to make is to replace the TV with a TV/DVD combo, get a good AM/FM/Weather radio and get rid of the entire Jensen system.  That will even get me a little more storage where the Jensen use to be.  It will definitely reduce the battery draw and make the camper a lot darker a night.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I'm wiring an off switch for the Jensen in my camper. It's good for the radio, so I'm not taking it out of the camper, but it's a battery draw. I have to ditto on the bluetooth bose speakers + ipod nano for amazing sound and how long the battery lasts (+4 hours before needing charge) - spend the extra money on the compact bose bluetooth speakers. You'll never regret it. I'm still researching weather alert radios, but my phone has apps that can do that too (depends on if I get a signal).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • GeoMarsGeoMars Member Posts: 26
    I'm getting unsatisfactory FM reception on the Jensen in a 2018 320S Outback (sound fades in and out and lots of static) even on strong local stations that sound fine in my truck. Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement FM antenna (or other troubleshooting tips)? Not looking for audiophile quality, just something in the same ballpark as a standard stock car radio.
  • brookingsbrookings Member Posts: 39
    I am a audiofile with seperate amps,preamps,tuner, etc. Equal to the best system I have ever heard, The Jensen is worse than the cheapest car radio. It Puts out something like 6 watts. The radio is cheap. I took the grill off the speakers and they were $10 speakers made out of old newspapers. I replaced the speakers and added tweeters and crossover. Any decent after market car stereo will sound much, much better. That will be my next move. The teeny, tiny antena unscrews and you can take it to a car stereo or auto parts store and get a bigger one. But!! you'll still be stuck with the sound of a 1955 VW radio.
    Also look into a 12 volt power booster for reception. Inexpensive.
  • gbellgbell Member Posts: 87
    @brookings where and how do I get to the little antenna? Picture if you can.  I don't even use mine because of reception. But if .can at least change the antenna I will. Thanks. 
    And tell more about the 12 volt booster.
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    brookings said:
    I am a audiofile with seperate amps,preamps,tuner, etc. Equal to the best system I have ever heard, The Jensen is worse than the cheapest car radio. It Puts out something like 6 watts. The radio is cheap. I took the grill off the speakers and they were $10 speakers made out of old newspapers. I replaced the speakers and added tweeters and crossover. Any decent after market car stereo will sound much, much better. That will be my next move. The teeny, tiny antena unscrews and you can take it to a car stereo or auto parts store and get a bigger one. But!! you'll still be stuck with the sound of a 1955 VW radio.
    I'd be curious as to what you'd recommend as let's say a mid-range replacement unit for the Jensen in the T@B's and with similar functionality?  The current Jensen setup in my T@B suits me fine for my current needs but I'm looking for a replacement setup in my 28' basecamp trailer in Arizona and would like something to use for TV/DVD, blue tooth music, etc. and something that doesn't cost an arm and s leg.

Any suggestions folks?  Amazon is my friend!   ;)=)
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    Can any one post pictures of how to wire in an off switch to the jensen? Ratkity maybe explain more. Thanks
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Some posted , maybe it was youtube, you could just pull the fuse for the Jennsen. You can find a am/fm 12 volt booster at car stereo store. I know a fm booster will work on TV too.
    edited March 2018
    The antena is up front high left. It unscrews. I'm thinking of getting a 6' with a 12volt power booster. for a bigger rv I would find a small separate blueray dvd player and some small high quality speakers you can hang anywhere. Then get a good car stereo. As far as the tab you can pull out the junk speakers and get some nice 5 1/4" speakers. Easy install. Amazon sells some Alpine 2way speakers for $55 + grills. HUGE difference.
    edited March 2018
    after putting in new speakers and twitters the sound really improved. You can get a pair of Alpine 5 1/4" with built in tweeters for $50 on Amazon. Just take the old speakers out and center the new ones and screw in. It helps if you stuff some foam in the whole. Then try and get a taller antenna and screw it in. You can unscrew when traveling. Also a radio power booster will really help. A fm booster will also boost TV. Check out the antennas for RVs on YouTube.