Options

Blue Television Light

I have been pulling the DC power connector out of the television to get rid of the the blue light at night.  While browsing Amazon for something else I came across a short cable with the right size male and female connectors to match the TV and a switch that plugs straight in.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D66D9PM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now I can just flip the switch on and off to remove power to the TV.  Very simple plug in fix.

2018 TAB 320 S and 2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-T

Comments

• Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    edited March 2018
    No offense intended at all, but why not a piece of black electricians tape over the light?   ;)
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    2Cougs said: 
    No offense intended at all, but why not a piece of black electricians tape over the light?   ;)
    The switch will also help with parasitic drain.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    GibWGibW Member Posts: 95
    Nice find. Thanks. 
    2017 T@B Max-S, silver & silver, towed by a Titanium Silver 2018 Kia Sorento AWD V-6, Twin Cities MN
  • Options
    ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    Thanks @stevek for the link. I like it.
    Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Dalehelman, Imagine that! :rofl::fearful:=)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    You guys are way more creative than me. When I go to bed I just hang my camping jacket over the edge of the TV so it covers the pesky little light.

The dumb thing is I never use the TV. I could have just unplugged it three years ago and not given it another thought...
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @SteveK that's a great find! I've put black electricians tape over both the front and back lights, but shutting off the power is even better! I only use my tv and Jensen system at home when I'm hiding out from life, or need a camping fix (or both!).
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    JdcoupleJdcouple Member Posts: 96
    Awesome fix. Thanks. 

2017 T@B Outback, 2000 Excursion V10 4x4

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    Abandon all hope Ye who enter here. The blue night light can not be turned off. It's parasitic drag will haunt you for eternity. The light fixture itself can not be removed.  We are all doomed to live with a faint blue light that does no harm but drives some of us bonkers.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Holy smokes! The television is haunted too?!!!

2015 T@B S

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    DOH! I thought this was the bathroom night light thread.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Tabaz said:
    DOH! I thought this was the bathroom night light thread.
    Well @Tabaz, they both involve a blue light and a phantom drain, so I guess your comment still applies!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    JenniferWJenniferW Member Posts: 3
    Oh!  I love this clever fix for that annoying little blue light. I just bought the switch on Amazon. So helpful. Thank you!
    Seattle, WA. T@B 320 CS-S (2018), towed by Subaru Outback
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Thank you, @SteveK. Marvelous to not have my two red lights looking at me at night. (I replaced my TV last year.)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @SteveK thanks again for this mod. So simple, and now one less phantom drain!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    cutiebird0150cutiebird0150 Member Posts: 3
    I used black electrical tape also...worked great!
    2018 T@B 320s - 2009 Lexus RX350
    Linda & Marvin
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,925
    @cutiebird0150, I see this is your first post. I am assuming you have a t@b with television based on you post, so welcome to the forum, to the t@b family and congratulations on your trailer. Please introduce yourself and tell us what model t@b you have and area of the country you're from. Happy t@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    cutiebird0150cutiebird0150 Member Posts: 3
    Hello!  We live in Ocean Isle Beach, NC and purchased a 2018 320s a few months back.  We have taken 4 trips so far and are still figuring out what to pack and what to leave home. We are going to our first rally (the Blue Ridge Rally in Virginia)  next month and to ucamp in July. I am finding this forum so helpful and appreciate all the comments and advice. 
    2018 T@B 320s - 2009 Lexus RX350
    Linda & Marvin
  • Options
    Welcome @cutiebird0150! Packing and repacking seems to be a constant process! I try to only put things in L@dybug that I love, or need to operate, so somethings I could take out, but I like them there. I've done a bit of rearranging this winter, and there are a few things I moved back to their original home so I'd remember where I put said items, and other things came back in the house, or the donation bag. It's fun either way! 
  • Options
    JuszczakJuszczak Member Posts: 5
    What I find more annoying than the blue light is the TV coming on when I play a music cd.  Having not found a way to change this in the settings menu, I've resorted to unplugging the TV.  This switch looks like a good alternative. 
  • Options
    linolino Member Posts: 225
    edited April 2018
    I just unplugged the power source from the television  which shut off the light and power drain 

I thought this was a free and easy solution to television phantom power issue

For the radio I set it to no light display 

Any reason not to do this?  I’ll just plug in when I want to watch tv which is rare 

Would like an easy way to disconnect the radio since usually use Bluetooth speaker to save battery 

• Options
    @lino, I plan to do the same as you. I can't see any problem with this approach. The switch would be a little handier if you used the TV a lot, but I last used it three seasons ago.

The radio is a little more difficult, as the wiring is buried in the cabinet. Somewhere around here is a thread discussing the installation of an on/off switch.

I suppose you could always pull the 12V fuse at the panel, so long as it doesn't also cut the power to some other device you want to use.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    IslandJoIslandJo Member Posts: 60
    Thanks @SteveK. Just installed the switch, easy-peasy, works great. The blue light would drive me mad, now it's gone.
    2018 T@B CS-S on an Outback axle 
    2017 Toyota Tacoma with tow package
    Pacific Northwest 
  • Options
    brookingsbrookings Member Posts: 39
    i just pull the power cord from the tv. 
  • Options
    pepperpepper Member Posts: 4
    Thanks @SteveK!  Easy and so much better than tape.  I ordered the two pack and can send the other to someone who would like it.
  • Options
    tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
    I used tape for a while with a pin hole to mute the blue light, but couldn't figure why the remote wouldn't work until one day it was discovered the tape had covered the IR receiver port on the TV next to the blue LED. Ha! failing eyes.
    Now I use SteveK's switch.
    Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
  • Options
    DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    ScottG said:
    You guys are way more creative than me. When I go to bed I just hang my camping jacket over the edge of the TV so it covers the pesky little light.

The dumb thing is I never use the TV. I could have just unplugged it three years ago and not given it another thought...
    I've unplugged my TV.. I likely won't use it.. if I ever do it will be with a VGA cable as a spare monitor for a PC...
    ~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past