Options

Step by step using Alde on winterized 2018 T@b with wetbath

2»

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,454
    edited April 2018
    Something I recall (and keep in mind just because I "recall" it doesn't make it fact--again, I can't locate the original source...) was that the heat from using the Alde might volatilize chemicals in the antifreeze creating fumes, pressure, whatever. However, ethanol doesn't boil until 173F--well above the max 150F the Alde heats water to--so this seems a little far fetched. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    xboooooxbooooo Member Posts: 33
    Here is some text from the Alde manual that mentions antifreeze:
    STORAGE AND WINTERIZING
    For this reason it is advisable to follow the
    recommendation(s) below if the boiler is to be stored in
    a freezing environment or for long periods of time. At the
    start of the winter season or before traveling to a location
    where freezing conditions are likely, the boiler must be
    winterized. Winterization can be accomplished using one
    of the two common methods of winterization used for RV
    water systems:
    • Drain the boiler, refer to “Draining the boiler using the
    combined safety/drain valve:” on page 6.
    • Antifreeze method: Follow the recommendations of
    the Recreational Vehicle manufacturer and fll the
    water system with a non-toxic antifreeze.
    Also:
    • Turn off the main power for the boiler. The main
    power should always be switched off when the vehicle is not being used.
    • Turn OFF LP Gas supply tank.
    • When washing the vehicle, take care not to get water
    in the vent.
    Make sure that the antifreeze flows from each tap to complete the process.
  • Options
    I've noted that part of the manual. It seems to imply that it is okay to fill the Alde with antifreeze.

I did find this in the nuCamp 2017 T@B owner's manual--still not sure of the original source, or specifically why the unit should not be used for heat if it has antifreeze in it:

"Please NOTE: If you have properly drained the Alde heater from any RV winterizing fluids you are safe use the Alde heater for winter camping while the system has been winterized and you will not damage the Alde heater or any of its components. The proper winterization for the Alde heater so that is it safe to use is “if you did not use RV anti-freeze to winterize the camper but instead used air to blow out the system” then there is nothing you need to do to use the Alde heater for heat. If you did use RV anti-freeze to winterize you will need to open the Alde relieve valve to drain the anti-freeze out from the tank."
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
     I looked up the MSDS for RV antifreeze. The boiling point is 216F and there is a warning to avoid high temperatures. I imagine there might be concerns about the Alde boiler getting the antifreeze too hot. I’ve seen my heater temp as high as 185F. Maybe there is some bad thing that happens to the antifreeze if gets that hot, even if it doesn’t boil? Pure conjecture. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Photomom said:
     I looked up the MSDS for RV antifreeze. The boiling point is 216F and there is a warning to avoid high temperatures. I imagine there might be concerns about the Alde boiler getting the antifreeze too hot. I’ve seen my heater temp as high as 185F. Maybe there is some bad thing that happens to the antifreeze if gets that hot, even if it doesn’t boil? Pure conjecture. 
    Although the info about the Century glycol fluid is almost exactly the same, so who knows...
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    It is possible that it is not a good idea to heat the boiler when it is full of RV antifreeze.  From a winterizing standpoint, though, it appears that it can be used to winterize without any ill effects.  If it wasn't I'm sure the Alde manual would indicate as much.  Maybe this started with the standard RV hot water heaters that have the sacrificial anode rods?

Certainly bleach is more destructive as it reacts and corrodes stainless steel.  Don't sanitize your brew pot with bleach either :)
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    Never! I prefer to sanitize my brew pot with boiling wort!  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    JimEngelJimEngel Member Posts: 45
    This comes up so much, and for my own memory, I have a set of notes:
    http://www.angelplace.net/tab/Winterization.pdf
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Good points @ColoradoJon. That's why it made sense to me that running it with it winterized,,with antifreeze in the 'tank', was ok.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I found this in a document posted online:

"You can use the Alde once the unit has been winterized and the hot water tank has been drained. Be sure to follow the correct steps to winterization. Alde does not recommend using RV anti-freeze in your Alde unit. Newer T@bs have by-pass lines that allow you to safely use the T@b once you have winterized."

However, the author of the document wasn't clear, and it appears to be compiled from information gleaned from a T@B forum. It also included other bits of information that were less than correct...

My point is, I wonder how many of these ideas are just things that get repeated over and over again, eventually get written down in an official-looking document, and then just become accepted as fact as original sources fade from memory.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    I found this in a document posted online:

"You can use the Alde once the unit has been winterized and the hot water tank has been drained. Be sure to follow the correct steps to winterization. Alde does not recommend using RV anti-freeze in your Alde unit. Newer T@bs have by-pass lines that allow you to safely use the T@b once you have winterized."

However, the author of the document wasn't clear, and it appears to be compiled from information gleaned from a T@B forum. It also included other bits of information that were less than correct...

My point is, I wonder how many of these ideas are just things that get repeated over and over again, eventually get written down in an official-looking document, and then just become accepted as fact as original sources fade from memory.
    I just emailed Alde to ask.