Options

Hi! Trailer newbie, and just ordered a new T@B 400

NCNativeNCNative Member Posts: 95
Hello all! I am excited to be here! I have NEVER owner a trailer before, but I just ordered a new T@B 400 from General RV in North Canton Ohio. I plan on picking it up in July and would appreciate any and all tips you can give. I have a million questions as I need to get sewer hoses, filters, surge protector etc. Any tips on hose lengths etc? I do not want to get more length than I need. I have been researching and compiling a list of recommended accessories, and would appreciate any and all advice and suggestions. I am on the waiting list for the Nucamp18 rally and I hope I can join in on the fun. Thank you!
N@VENOTSE
2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite   
SF Bay Area

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Welcome to the forum!
    My 2 cents:  
    15 foot sewer hose minimum.  We have also had occasion to use an additional 5 feet because we positioned our smaller 320 further from the sewer outlet.  

25 feet potable hose.  2 water filters.  Progressive Industries Surge Protector at a minimum, EMS is better.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Wheel lock and or hitch lock, levelers of some kind, like Brahma or Andersen.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @NCNative, welcome to the forum, the t@b family and congratulations on your trailer! I second the advice given so far. All good stuff. I recommend that you find the suggested tools list also. Invaluable information is included there.  Acquiring all of the information you have had listed here, then finding the equipment and tools is all part of the adventure. Enjoy and savor the outfitting then decorating, and finally the camping, travel and use of your new RV!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Thank you very much! I am looking at getting a 15 foot sewer hose, would a 20 foot hose be better, and would it fit in the T@B 400 sewer hose storage?
    N@VENOTSE
    SF Bay Area
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Welcome!! I would recommend getting Amazon Prime before going down the "needs" list lol. Happy Camping!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ChaseTheLightChaseTheLight Member Posts: 48
    NCNative said:
    Thank you very much! I am looking at getting a 15 foot sewer hose, would a 20 foot hose be better, and would it fit in the T@B 400 sewer hose storage?
    Congratulations! I bought same recently. The sewer hose holder is not very deep. I can only insert a collapsed 10 footer. I will send you the depth tomorrow when I am at the trailer. 
    2018T@B 400. Ford Explorer TV. Medina, Ohio
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @NCNative congratulations and welcome to the family! I second whar @Ratkity said, and will add that I use the wish list feature to keep track of all suggested items so you don't have to remember where you saw them. The other reason is that your rig might have some different features than others, and you might not end up needing whatever. My Tab 320S is also my first trailer, first tow, and I've had more fun this past year than I could have imagined, and made some amazing friends. What I did was use a three tier system. 1) What do I need to use my Tab. Just the basics, including your manuals and any relevant print outs from this forum. I've made copies of many " how to" and "now what" posts. There's a wealth of information on this forum!  2) What would make life more comfortable. 3) What's fun, what sings to me, makes me happy. I don't bring things in that don't make me happy. As you go through all this you will know what you need and what you don't. Reorganizing is a constant. Have fun with it! Most importantly...enjoy the journey!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    ChaseTheLightChaseTheLight Member Posts: 48
    NCNative said:
    The 400 holder is just under 4.5 feet in length for the sewer hose. 
    2018T@B 400. Ford Explorer TV. Medina, Ohio
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    SAM said:
    Welcome to the forum!
    My 2 cents:  
    15 foot sewer hose minimum.  We have also had occasion to use an additional 5 feet because we positioned our smaller 320 further from the sewer outlet.  

25 feet potable hose.  2 water filters.  Progressive Industries Surge Protector at a minimum, EMS is better.
    I agree with the above! I would go ahead and ask that either the factory or General RV install the EMS as some have indicated that installing it close to the battery can be a pain. Some people use the type that plugs into the pedestal, but I have not once regretted spending the money for the permanent install and it has saved my bacon on a couple of occasions.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I have Amazon Prime and I have been compiling a list of products. I have ordered a 15' sewer hose kit, trailer brake controller, levelers, etc. I am purchasing items as I get the money for them. I have a Progressive Industries prtable EMS-PT30X RV Surge protector on my wish list. Is it better to get one they pay to have it installed?

N@VENOTSE
    SF Bay Area
  • Options
    @NCNative, not sure what you mean.  The EMS-PT30X is a portable plug and play.  You may be happy with it and not need a hard wired version.
  • Options
    I meant, I have the EMS-PT30X on my wishlist. I was wondering if this was adequate, or if I should get the other version that is installed in the trailer
    N@VENOTSE
    SF Bay Area
  • Options
    Personal preference.  Depends on how you camp.  Many people boondock a lot and have little need for any surge protection.  Other people camp a lot with electrical hook ups and prefer a hard wired EMS unit to prevent theft, more automated system and an inside display, etc.  We feel comfortable using a cable lock and securing it to the pedestal.  It takes very little time and is simple to set up.  We put a bag over it to keep it from becoming saturated with rain/snow, although the units now are more weatherproof.  I have read that an installed unit had a meltdown with a power surge leading to fire, so that is something to consider.  Also, if hard wired and you have a malfunction, you need to take your Tab somewhere to get fixed.  Just some things to consider.  The hard wired application is not better, just different.
  • Options
    SAM, Your info is extremely helpful. I will go with the portable one as I will be both boondocking and using hookups. 
    N@VENOTSE
    SF Bay Area
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have never regretted a permanent install. I dont have to worry about forgetting to set it u pl and it has saved me, more than once.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    It seems that the type of surge protector used is a matter of personal preference, that they both do their jobs equally. Does this sound about right?
    N@VENOTSE
    SF Bay Area
  • Options
    Portable vs installed is personal preference, however, if you get a portable, make sure it monitors for low voltage.

• Options
    @SAM I ordered the Progressive Industries Portable EMS-PT30X Surge protector. I saw it suggested on a thread here and it seemed to be the one to get. Is this a good one?

N@VENOTSE
    SF Bay Area
  • Options
    chugochugo Member Posts: 12
    I have the EMS-PT30X.  It monitors low voltage, spikes, accidental plug into a 220v and incorrect wiring.  I initially bought the internal mounted one but there was not room to mount it without moving the Solar controller.  I sent it back and bought this one.  Get a good lock though.  It has a locking ring.  We use a stout bike cable lock and it works great.
    Chris Hugo
    T@B 400,  TV: 2018 Silverado
    Memphis,TN
  • Options
    @Chugo Thank you! I was concerned I would not have room for the internal mounted one, so I opted for the portable one. All I need to get is a few adapters 30 to 15 etc so I can plug it into a house. Did you get the dog bone kind?
    N@VENOTSE
    SF Bay Area
  • Options
    @NCNative, yes, that is better than their “surge protector”.  I have a previous version of the PT30X.