Outdoor Shower

Heads up, folks!  I found out the hard way to REMOVE the outdoor shower hose even after you blow air through.  What can happen(and did with mine) is a bit of water, doesn't take much, will dribble back down into the mixer, freeze & crack the unit.  I found the leak as I was hooking up power on our first trip of the "spring" season when water was dripping from the floor.  The unit will need to be completely replaced.  My dealer is helping me out, and all will be good once the replacement comes in.

So... add to the "Airblow" process...Remove flexible hose THEN blow the lines!  Note to self! ;)
TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
2018 320S Outback

Comments

• BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    Ihave had reservations about using the air blow method because I have heard too many stories similar to yours.  A lot of folks seem to have had residual water in various sites freeze and cause leaks.  When I run the antifreeze through I can see it and know I have displaced the water.
    BigGrover
    2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
    2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
    Central Alabama
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    The fixtures are of definite concern being that they are plastic.  The hoses are of less concern being they are pex
    2018 320S Outback
  • Fatman1966Fatman1966 Member Posts: 145
    The factory outside shower head is  kinda  junky. I would like to replace it with a better head

Agreed, it’s is pretty flimsy. While argyle dealer...the options for a 4” spread replacement weren’t much better....
    2018 320S Outback
  • LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    I own a T@G, it could be different, but when I winterized lat fall for the fisrt time (new trailer for us), I started by using the air compressor methode after making sure that only few oz of water could not be removed from the water tank and opening all the outlet, including outside shower.  Then, I decided to undo the connection at the water pump.  Good thing, cause water was still prsent in the area.

so, yep, it only take a couple more minutes to do it right.

good luck.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    The factory outside shower head is  kinda  junky. I would like to replace it with a better head

I believe these are without a doubt the best shower heads for RVs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F5MUB66/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_c_wbu3AbQ1XT4CQ
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    Does it fit in the outdoor shower cubby?
    2018 320S Outback
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @Dalehelman, does the Tab shower hose just unscrew at the faucet?  That’s a good price on Prime.  I may be tempted.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    Amazon has free easy returns. Most RV supply stores carry them and all Camping World stores do. Stop by and check one out.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @SAM, yes it unscrews. I have the Oxygenics Fury in my shower (no outside shower) and I love it. It’s also great for giving the dog a bath/shower while she stand on the toilet lid. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • IslandJoIslandJo Member Posts: 60
    Can I just replace the existing shower head with the Oxygenics shower head or do I have to replace the whole unit, hose & mount as well?
    2018 T@B CS-S on an Outback axle 
    2017 Toyota Tacoma with tow package
    Pacific Northwest 
    Just the hose. What is unclear to me, at this point is whether the handle will fit in the outdoor shower cubby.
    2018 320S Outback
    edited April 2018
    @4ncar If you've ordered one can you post once you've tried it out? The cubby for the shower head is pretty limited on the outdoor shower. The little shower head that's there is barely good enough to hose off the dogs. I have a shower tent from my camping days that I'd love to use with the outdoor shower head if I can get some pressure not that the old black bag was known for it's pressure. 

For the inside shower I was hoping I could just unscrew the shower head and leave the old hose and holder in place. Anyone know the answer? 
    Pacific Northwest 
    @IslandJo, I’ll bet the threads on the hand held piece are standard, so I don’t see why not.  I just checked the Tab inside shower and the hose unscrews from the faucet and the shower head also unscrews from the hose.The only thing that you may need to change is the holder on the wall in case it does not fit the new shower head.
    The Oxygenics shower head was delivered today. It's way to big too fit in the outdoor shower box. I'm going to try it for an indoor replacement. The mount does need to be switched out so will test drive it first to see if it's worth the effort.
    Pacific Northwest 
  • EmergencyKenEmergencyKen Member Posts: 29
    We installed the above mentioned oxygenics showerhead in our 2019 320 this weekend.  We love it, except for one thing:
    The hand on/off slider when set to “off” continues to allow a stream of water.  
    My question: is this normal, or do I have a faulty switch and need to return it?
    thanks in advance
    ken
    Cleveland, OH
    2018 Tab 400 
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    Husband, Nurse, Hufflepuff

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @EmergencyKen, it is normal for the Oxygenics to continue dripping when shut off.  I do try not to shut it off at the Oxygenics when the shower is done so not as much water is left in the shower hose. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    @4ncar, if one removes their outdoor shower hose before blowing out their water lines, wouldn't they be putting water inside the T@B?  If I remember correctly, our outdoor shower hose connects on the inside wall of the plumbing/Alde compartment under the back seat.  Maybe some connect on the outside?

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
    BrianZ said:
    @4ncar, if one removes their outdoor shower hose before blowing out their water lines, wouldn't they be putting water inside the T@B?  If I remember correctly, our outdoor shower hose connects on the inside wall of the plumbing/Alde compartment under the back seat.  Maybe some connect on the outside?

You correct on all accounts. The hose connects inside the trailer in the Alde compartment.  The process I suggested(which worked for me this past winter) is to blow the lines with the hose attached, but to then remove the hose assembly, disallowing any residual water to flow back from the hose and into the faucet assembly...
    2018 320S Outback
  • MirasolMirasol Member Posts: 2
    After first season I tried air blow follow by antifreeze (with pink flowing from the ext. shower nozzle) and still had (repairable) cracks in the nozzle the following spring.  The suggestion for remove the ext. shower hose or at least the nozzle does seem like a prudent extra winterizing step.
    2018 T@B CS
  • rowanrowan Member Posts: 1
    is there a separate water cutoff valve for the outside shower faucet?   I've been a little nervous about this fixture for a number of reasons and would like to be able to cut it off when not using.   
    2018 T@B 400, 1st Trailer Owned!
    rowan said:
    is there a separate water cutoff valve for the outside shower faucet?   I've been a little nervous about this fixture for a number of reasons and would like to be able to cut it off when not using.   
    Simply... no. It’s tied into the rest of the plumbing loop.
    2018 320S Outback
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @rowan, welcome to the forum! What year and model of t@b do you have? Consider including that information in your signature line as it will help members to answer questions with info and expertise specific to your particular trailer. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,395
    rowan said:
    The tie-in to the plumbing uses similar connectors to what is used on the toilet. Since many owners have added shut-off valves to the toilet line, I wonder if you couldn't do something similar with the shower lines using the existing threaded fittings.

2015 T@B S
    @Scott, I thought the same thing.  It would make winterizing easier, too.
    @Scott, I thought the same thing.  It would make winterizing easier, too.
    Except for the fact that there would still be water in the hose and the faucet fixture that needs to be blown out; the root of this post.
    2018 320S Outback
    Turn off the supply, open the fixture/hose and drain/blow/dry.  
  • rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    Ditto what Sharon stated. You must blow out as both the hose and head will crack very easily once it freezes. I remove my head and blow out the whole system. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI