Options

Considering purchasing a TAB S Sofitel -- Help Requested

We have been looking at the TAB S for some time and have enjoyed reading this forum.  Today we saw a Sofitel version at an RV show, really liked it and are considering a purchase tomorrow.  Before we jump, here are a few questions:
*We would tow with our GMC Acadia with aftermarket Class 3 hitch.  The vehicle is rated to tow 2,000 pounds without a tow package and 4,500 with.  Do you thing we are ok with this vehicle.  Also, the dealer said that equalizers bars and sway control will not be needed,  Does this seem correct?
*The table just gets in the way and the dealer said many people remove it and use slats  to lay out the full bed.  Anyone doing something to replace the table and utilize the full bed?
*He said the Sofitel model uses aluminum rather than fiberglas outside walls. Is this correct -- the factory literature does not specify.
*They have a discounted "show"  price of $20,500 on the unit--quite  discount off MSRP.  Does this seem like a fair price?

We appreciate you assistance!

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited February 2015
    Can't speak to most your questions but yes, many people remove the table - I did - and use the slats - I don't as I don't need a full bed. If you search for "slats" or even just table you'll find a few discussions. some even make their own slats.
  • Options
    tpurr02tpurr02 Member Posts: 49
    Hi, I am buying the Sofitel as well.  However, I won't get mine until April.  I am not an expert like many of the folks on here so I won't comment on the tow vehicle question because I might not provide correct information. But, I will answer your other questions.
    1.  The Sofitel is NOT made out of aluminum.  It is made out of the same material as all the other tabs.  It does have silver walls inside and Chris Baum the COO of Little Guy indicated that it is competing directly with the entry level Airstream Sport 16.  But it is not made out of aluminum.   While it doesn't have the aluminum of the Airstream, it does share a few things with a couple of the upscale Airstream Trailers -- the handle and the flooring are very similar to what is used on the Airstream Land Yacht.    And, the Ultra Leather is an upgraded fabric option used on Airstreams.  

Based on what I have read on this forum, a number of people do remove the table -but I have no idea of how many.  For what it's worth, I am seriously considering moving it as well because I think it's a little too big to be comfortable.  We may just use it outside.

I am getting my Sofitel for $20,300 out the door, as the dealers like to say, so that price includes tax and prep.  I do not claim to be the best negotiator in the world.  I had a price in my mind that I thought was fair based on MSRP and this price met that goal.  So, I think you got a good price as well.  

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Seems like you got a pretty fair price for the unit.

While your Acadia can tow the T@B but you are stretching the limit of the tow vehicle (TV) if yours only has a 2000 pound towing capacity.  A TV's towing capacity includes not only the weight of the trailer, but also of all cargo in both the trailer and the TV.  This includes the weight of the occupants and even of fuel.  You might want to talk to your dealer and see what is involved in the towing package and why the dramatic increase in capacity.

The being said, people tow T@B's with all kinds of things.  I know there are a few out there being towed by little Fiats, an older T@B being towed by a VW Gulf TDI, and even a Corvette TV.  Not what I would recommend, as I have a preference for the weight and stability that a truck provides, but it can be done, with some care. 

Just remember, your insurance company may not cover anything if you are towing beyond your TV's recommended towing capacity.

The T@B tows very well without sway bars or an equalizer.  I have very rarely had any issues of sway.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    radrenradren Member Posts: 229
    Almost everyone takes the table out and puts in the rails the bed slats need to rest on instead. This is something the factory will do for you, even give you the bed slate in place of the table, not sure about the dealer. It is easier to get a much lighter table that is easier to move and store. The outside of all T@B trailers are the same. It is the inside stuff you are paying premium for with the Sofitel model. If someone representing T@B was there and told you it was aluminum on the outside, I would question just about EVERYTHING he says because he knows NOTHING about the T@B. That is a really big thing to misrepresent to someone looking to buy at an RV show. Lots of people tow with cars that they shouldn't and eventually they go with something better suited and more comfortable and safe for towing. You can TOW with any car, it is the STOPPING quickly after an idiot pulls in front of you that is the problem. We all LOVE our T@Bs and I am sure you will too. 
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    While Cyclonic's statement above (vehicle tow capacity includes cargo in both trailer and TV) is more conservative and safer, it isn't quite correct. There is another vehicle rating that comes into play, but is more difficult to find, especially for passenger vehicles. That's the GCVWR - Gross COMBINED Vehicle Weight Rating. I had to dig through the owner's manual to get the GCVWR for our TV - a 2004 Toyota Sienna. Using the GCVWR and the GVWR (maximum weight allowed for the vehicle without trailer), you can then calculate specific tow/cargo capacities. (In the case of our Sienna, the sticker on the vehicle and the owner's manual disagree on some numbers. Probably not a unique situation. I go with the sticker, since they are more current at time of manufacture than the manual.)

2WD 2004 Sienna without tow package:
    GCVWR - 7,200 from manual
    GVWR - 5,690 from sticker
    Payload - 1,310 from sticker or 1,160 from manual.
    Curb weight (@ calculated) 4,380 (GVWR minus payload)
    Curb weight from Edmunds.com - 4,180.

So, a fully loaded vehicle (including tongue weight of trailer) at 5,690 has tow capacity of 1,510; 7,200 GCVWR minus 5,690 GVWR.

A fully loaded trailer (2,000 lbs) leaves 5,200 lb gross vehicle weight for the TV. A 200 lb tongue weight would leave 5,000 lbs gross weight of/in vehicle. Curb weight of about 4,300 would leave about 700 lb capacity for cargo/passengers in vehicle (which needs to be appropriately distributed in the TV.)

Cyclonic made what I think is a very important statement: "...your insurance company may not cover anything if you are towing beyond your TV's recommended towing capacity." I'd also bet that an opposing lawyer would jump on "beyond towing capacity" in case of an accident...

- gcw
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    DaveLu_ExplorersDaveLu_Explorers Member Posts: 15
    edited February 2015
    We have a Sofitel and it's not aluminum on the outside. We love it. Our TV is an Acura MDX, and when we bought our t@b, the dealer told us that another couple had to cancel their purchase because their tow vehicle was not going to be able to tow their tab,  it was an Acura RDX which is smaller. The RDX's capacity is 1500 lbs and the MDX's is 3500 lbs and it's perfectly fine without any additional tow package.

The GMC Acadia starts at 2000lbs and the tow package brings it up to 5200 lbs.  But, you have the same engine, same frame and all.  Just not the module to control the transmission  and you will probably also be missing the higher capacity cooling, which means you would have to watch the temperature.  Now, the T@b is 1500 lbs so it's very close when you add the cargo and passengers weight. With the added risk of insurance problems in the future and the risk of pushing your engine too hard, at around $500 for the tow package from GMC seems like a worthy investment to protect both your liability and your TV. 

Dave and Lucia - Atlanta GA -  Acura MDX - 2015 T@B Sofitel S
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Bought our Sofitel last month in San Diego. When we showed serious interest the dealer quoted us $19,995.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    julzjulz Member Posts: 32
    I picked up my new Sofitel in Ohio on Friday at Haydocy Airstream and RV. Very good experience and Im loving it. I drive it next week from Michigan to Idaho.
    I asked my salesman, Bruce, if the Sofitel was aluminum and he said yes. I then told him that I'd read this blog and owners say that it is not aluminum, and he replied that while the other T@B models are not, this one is aluminum and that it's T@B's stab at the Airstream (and he told me a story about how the idea for the Sofitel came about). He then asked another gentleman who was prepping and working on all of the trailers and he also confirmed that the Sofitel is aluminum.  
    Just thought I'd throw that out to confuse everyone even more. :) 
  • Options
    Well, that is very interesting because Bruce from Haydocy made a Youtube video for me describing the Sofitel and in that video he says "Aluminum-like" exterior.  I am not an expert but unless they put some special treatment on the aluminum that makes it look like fiberglass, the Sofitel doesn't even look like aluminum.  If you did a side by side comparison with an Airstream, they look very different.  I don't believe the Sofitel is aluminum.   Regardless of the material, it is a very beautiful, well-made trailer, and I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

By the way, did you get the S floor plan or the CS-S floorplan?
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

Yeah, the T@b website for the Sofitel makes no mention of Aluminum. I think it has an aluminum "look". Not sure how they would upgrade to aluminum without a noticeable weight increase. An aluminum model would be pretty cool, though. It might be the only thing that could prompt me to think about a different TV. But it would probably also increase the price by $10-15,000. 

http://www.tab-rv.com/specialized?id=Sofitel

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Here is the link for the  Youtube video Bruce made for me...https://youtu.be/PQ0QQXP2I5M
  • Options
    This video is a nice point of reference for tall people.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    remphotoremphoto Member Posts: 11
    Bruce is a good guy. He sold us our S Sofitel, also.

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Just asked a buddy that lives in France what Sofitel means and he said it doesn't have a meaning, it's just a name (hotels) that sounds sophisticated and French.
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me how the table mechanism works?  I can't get mine to lower.  Also, I emailed Bruce about the aluminum...I'll let you know what he says.
  • Options
    This is from the T@b owner's manual, P.7:
    "Roof
    The external material on the roof of your camper is aluminum. It is .040 uber-durable, painted aluminum, as are the hatch doors."

I don't know if that's a leftover, uncorrected statement from converting the Little Guy / Silver Shadow manual to T@b or not...

• Options
    Tpurr02, 
    I have the Q floor plan. I love it. 
    Thanks for posting the video.  Bruce is a great guy and extremely helpful.  I'll let you know what he says but its interesting -- I made a point of asking him because I'd read this post before I bought the Sofitel.  Oh well.  Im very happy either way but I do want good information.
  • Options
    I believe the exterior of the T@b us "alumifiber".

• Options
    That's the material I was trying to think of, Jenn! I thought I'd run across something that implied the roof was an aluminum-derivative product when I was researching the T@b, but couldn't recall what it was. I can rest easy now...

• Options
    That's the material I was trying to think of, Jenn! I thought I'd run across something that implied the roof was an aluminum-derivative product when I was researching the T@b, but couldn't recall what it was. I can rest easy now...

• Options
    It is possible that the dealer was referring to the trailer's frame, which is aluminum. 

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    julz said:
    Can anyone tell me how the table mechanism works?  I can't get mine to lower. 
    If it is the standard fold down table, there is a little knob on the table's leg that pulls out, hold it out and pull the table top forward and it will fold down on its own.

If it is a center post table, you simply lift the table out of the bracket on the floor and then take the post out of the bracket on the bottom of the table top.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    I just drove my Sofitel from Michigan to Ketchum, Idaho.  I had a couple of minor issues:

--When I tried to turn on the Alde for heat I pulled out the instructions that Bruce had given me and discovered they were for a completely different model. I was at a rest area with no internet and couldn't look up the correct instructions. I tried to turn it on but there were 2 blinking red lights and no heat so I have no idea what's going on there? I turned it off and froze. Does anyone have any advice/experience with this? I believe my system is the 3000...
    --Also, I have the Q package and I specifically asked Bruce if there was a port-o-potty and he said no. I said I was sure the MAX Q comes with one but again he said no without checking, only to discover he was wrong. Not that I'll ever use it but it makes me question his level of expertise and it would have been nice to have it just in case...
    --Will the AC, which is supposed to have a heat setting, run on battery or does it have to be hooked up to power?

Other than that I love it. Im hoping for warmer weather and the opportunity to take it fishing on Silver Creek soon! Thank you in advance for your advice and any and all help.
    Julie

• Options
    Hey, Julie,
    When you picked up your T@B, didn't you have a 2-hour walk through?  I thought that in those walk throughs, Bruce would have shown you everything in the T@b and importantly, how to turn everything on?  
    In terms of Bruce not knowing everything, that doesn't surprise me.  There is a blog called Gone with the Wynns and they doing on series on buying an RV for beginners and one of the things they say is the more often than not, the consumer is going to know way more than the sales people -- which has been my experience.   With the internet and forums like this, it's not surprising that we the consumers know more. 

I pick up my Sofitel on April 6th and I am going to be sure to ask my sales guy how to turn the Alde on and I will make certain that I have the correct owner's manual.

Glad you enjoyed the trip overall!  
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    edited March 2015
    My sales guy knew nothing about the T@B, he was nice.  I set the trailer up in the driveway and over the course of a few days, with the help of the manual produced by one of the members here I figured out how it all worked.

Julie

As for your heat, do you have propane in your tank and a good charge in the T@B battery?  If yes to both, start with all three switches on the control (I'm guessing you do not have the touch screen style controller) all the way down.  Leave the one on the left alone for now,  Move the middle one up to flame symbol, move the switch on the left(not the dial) to the middle position, that is both heat and hot water, turn the dial to 4 ( that is a lot of heat, but you are just testing the thing right now).  Wait about 20 min and see if things are getting warmer.  Place your hand by one of the heat slots to check.  It is not forced air so you won't feel a big flow of air.  You should start to feel a nice soft heat coming out.

The o on the dial is supposed to be the standard heat setting. To the left is less heat, to the right is more.

The lever on the left is for running on electricity.  You can get even more performance by running on both gas and electrical. 

As for the AC, it will only run when connected to shore power, or a fairly large generator.

good luck.
  • Options
    Thank you both, tpurr02 and Rad for the info. Yes, I did get a walkthrough, about 15 minutes worth, and yes, Bruce did show me how to turn the Alde on -- which I did, but no heat and blinking red lights, so I pulled out the manual and thats when I discovered it was for a different system.
    So Rad, as soon as I'm home I'll try it and see what happens.
    Best!
    Julie
  • Options
    Here's the response from the the manufacturer on questions I had INCLUDING is the Sofitel aluminum!

Got a call from end customer who bought T@B Qmax – Sofitel from Haydocy 2015 vin 1754

Manufacturer Answers in Red

#1. They didn’t get the port a potty in the unit – can one be sent? Yes – will need address call manufacturer. (yes – Q-max T@B’s get a port a potty)

#2. They don’t like table – would like bed slats… how do they go about getting those? Yes can get them call manufacturer  And is there a cost? Yes there is a cost

#3. The alde system instructions that were in the packet do not match the alde system in her trailer. She says its an Alde 3000. Can she get the manual for that system? the only difference in the manuals is the thermostat...we insert a page instructing them how to use the thermostat in the trailer itself. we can email one to her.

#4. Can the A/C run off the battery or only when it’s plugged in? A/C on any trailer has to be plugged in

#5. Is the trailer all Aluminum? Yes

I hope this helps you out Julie.

Thanks

Tiffany Goddard

Office Administrator

4122 Erie Ave SW 

Massillon  OH  44614

PH: 877-545-4897

Fx: 330-791-7170

www.golittleguy.com

• Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    edited March 2015
    Julie

Im glad you got some answers. It is not a big deal, but answer #5 is not completely correct.  Next time you are in camp and an Airstream is there, take a look at it, tap on it, if you can walk inside take a look.  That is an aluminum trailer.  The Tab has aluminum framing, but it is 1" foam core construction on the walls and it has what may be an aluminum type material, very very thin, sheathing over the roof area, front to back.  The manufacturer could never, and they don't, market the Tab as an aluminum trailer.

Have fun with yours, they are great rigs  

• Options
    I believe you, Rad, but this is a response directly from the manufacturer. 
  • Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    tpurr02 said:
    I am getting my Sofitel for $20,300 out the door, as the dealers like to say, so that price includes tax and prep.  I do not claim to be the best negotiator in the world.  I had a price in my mind that I thought was fair based on MSRP and this price met that goal.  So, I think you got a good price as well.  
    ======================================
    Hi tpurr02,
    Is yours the T@B S Spfotel?  $20,300 out the door is a great price.  You must be a great negotiator and like to learn few tips from you. The dealer in Austin wants $22,000 + tax+fees.  Where is your dealer?  TIA
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston