Hot water heater not heating?

On my new to me ‘17 CS, the camper was winterized and the previous owner had died so trailer was sold by widow who knew nothing about it. It there a trick after winterization to get the hot water to work? What should I be checking?

Thanks!

Comments

• rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited May 2018
    Check to see if the Alde bypass valve is open or closed. 

You can see the location in the winterization section of the owners manual. The PDF is online, so you can either find it here in the forum, or google. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    As @rkj__ mentioned - check your valve positions.  They should look like this:

Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • maddmikemaddmike Member Posts: 137
    Thanks! I will check that tonight.

I just went on line and downloaded the owner's manual.

Anything I should be checking on the heater itself?
  • rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    maddmike said:
    Thanks! I will check that tonight.

I just went on line and downloaded the owner's manual.

Anything I should be checking on the heater itself?
    You could check to see if it's plugged in.  I've heard stories of the plug working its way out of the outlet under the bench seat.

2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    @madmike, you might want to check out he various winterizing documents in the "Users Manuals..." category.

You will also find owner's manuals for T@Bs and their various components located here as well.
    2015 T@B S
    So, I checked everything. It is "working" but only lukewarm. How hot is the water supposed to get? Is there a heat adjustment?
  • ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    @maddmike , do a search on "mixing valve".

Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    Here is the thread that showed me how to adjust the mixing valve:
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6374/alde-issue

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @maddmike, the water is hotter if you only use the Alde to heat water and not the cabin.  Just turn down your thermostat way below ambient temp.  Also, you can “boost” the water temperature by increasing the water temperature on the Alde Display to max.  That setting persists for 30 min., then automatically reverts to the lower water temperature setting.  Make sure you are giving the Alde adequate time to heat up.  Then, a half hour before showering, increase the water temp on the display and repeat just before showering.  This and the mixing valve will give you plenty of hot water for an RV shower.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    I haven't tried the "boost" yet but I have been playing with the mixing valve. All the way open is where I get luke-warm water. My pipes are a bit different than those posted above but mine is not a NuCamp or Dutchman, I think it was built during the Little Guy ownership so I don't know if there are changes based on who owned them at the time.

I did find the crossover and closed that. I checked all the fuses including the two glass ones. I'm not sure how the thermostat will change things as it is mid eighties and the heat should not be running. I will check to be sure though.
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @maddmike Prior to 4/2017, Little Guy (LG)and Pleasant Vallley (now known as NüCamp) were in business together with LG the distribution and marketing arm and Pleasant Valley the manufacturer of the teardrops. After that, Pleasant Vallley became nüCamp and began marketing their own teardrops. LG went into business with another firm. So, nüCamp has been the builder of these trailers since 2010. The models change during the year. I can’t keep track of the changes myself, but others on the forum do a good job of that!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

jgram2 said:
    @maddmike Prior to 4/2017, Little Guy (LG)and Pleasant Vallley (now known as NüCamp) were in business together with LG the distribution and marketing arm and Pleasant Valley the manufacturer of the teardrops. After that, Pleasant Vallley became nüCamp and began marketing their own teardrops. LG went into business with another firm. So, nüCamp has been the builder of these trailers since 2010. The models change during the year. I can’t keep track of the changes myself, but others on the forum do a good job of that!
    Good info. I was a little confused by all the name changes.
    Don't know why, maybe it just had cobwebs in it or an air bubble, but the hot water heater ran fine all weekend. Only "issue" was the small size of the water tank. Not a big deal, jut had fill up on occasion.