Options

Phantom Drain: Potty Night Light

ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,417
The recent discussion re: disconnecting power to the television got me thinking about another source of phantom drain.

The T@B's bathroom light appears to have a very low-level always-on function. Presumably this is a night light for midnight potty runs, but it's really unnecessary for such a simple activity in such a small space.  ;-)

Anyone have any thoughts about (or experience with) disconnecting that little bugger?
2015 T@B S

Comments

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @ScottG the same light set up is under the kitchen cabinets for the kitchen light. Is it a connected night light, or is it from residual daylight?
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    ScottG said:
    The recent discussion re: disconnecting power to the television got me thinking about another source of phantom drain.

The T@B's bathroom light appears to have a very low-level always-on function. Presumably this is a night light for midnight potty runs, but it's really unnecessary for such a simple activity in such a small space.  ;-)

Anyone have any thoughts about (or experience with) disconnecting that little bugger?
    You could replace it, probably almost as cheaply as adding a switch.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    @ScottG the same light set up is under the kitchen cabinets for the kitchen light. Is it a connected night light, or is it from residual daylight?
    Hmmm, mine is not the same. The kitchen light is a bar with an off-low-high setting. The bath has a little disk light that has a nightlight-on setting.

I hadn't really given it any thought until today. I suspect jkjenn's replacement suggestion would be the easiest route once I figure out a suitable replacement part.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    OK @ScottG, now you have me wondering if there is something new I didn’t know about my Tab. Since I almost never turn that light on, much less read a manual for it (hush now @ericnliz!) Now I’m going to have to investigate!  :o
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Got me too! Ours is either ON or OFF. No dim function at all.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    The light is pretty faint--I can really only see it at night when it is otherwise dark in the camper. However, it is enough to cast a bit of a glow around the tiny space.

Of course, now you've got me wondering... maybe it's not a nightlight at all but a defective device that won't turn completely off.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    On many of the 2015's, the on/off button has a very faint blue glow that outlines the on/off button.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Maybe that's what it is. I honestly can't remember at this point if it was the button or the light itself that was glowing. I'll have to look more closely once the T@B is out for the season--gonna be a while yet!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Ours is either "off", or "on". No slight glow from anything at all.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Curiouser and curiouser. Perhaps actual light fixture phantoms are responsible for the phantom drain in my light fixture...

2015 T@B S

• Options
    Oh boy, another moderator goin' off the deep end!  :o:s=)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    What you mean goin' ?

I've been lookin' up from the deep end for quite a while!  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Quick... throw him a life preserver!!! (Or a snorkel!!!!) :fearful::rofl:
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ScottG, do you need a tap from the special magic wand? ;)

I like my low-light-blue-glow potty night light. When you replace it, may I have first dibs on yours, please?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,484
    Taking ohr TaB out of storage today.  Need to check on this potty night light.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    I actually do like the little night-light/glow-button/whatever-it-is. I just dislike the idea of some unnecessary device drawing power (however little) 24/7!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Ratkity said:
    On many of the 2015's, the on/off button has a very faint blue glow that outlines the on/off button.
    FOLLOWUP: the facts are in and Ratkity wins! I finally took a closer look and determined my phantom potty night light is exactly as she describes.

The button for the under cabinet light in the kitchen, while different, is also illuminated. The entire button glows a faint green that's only visible in the dark.

The power use of these little buggers is still not clear, but they are so faint I doubt it's very much.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    On a dark-dark night where there were no outside lights interfering with a good look at the Milky Way... there it was.. this HORRID blue glow from the bath. Already having blacked out the frig external fan light switch, unplugged the TV, made an on-off switch for the Jensen.... I was ready with black-out film or electricians tape! Beautiful stars will always win :) 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I installed a dimmable LED light in the trailer I have in AZ.
    i know that when I turn the trailer on/off battery switch on it turns the light on in the bathroom.   Definitely a parasitic drain but could be easily remedied with something similar.  

https://m.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-12V-Led-RV-Ceiling-Dome-Light-RV-Interior-Lighting-for-Trailer-Camper/183063241218?hash=item2a9f6b6202:g:qyUAAOSw2xRYinNc
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    @ScottG I wonder if that "nightlight" around the on/off switches is actually a "Phosphorescent reflector" that glows rather than draws power. My headlamp has that around the on/off button.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    Good thought, @dsfdogs. So good I ran out to check as soon as it got dark! The button on the sink light is definitely glow-in-the-dark as you describe. However, the potty light button goes on and off with the battery power.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    linolino Member Posts: 225
    Been wondering about the kitchen green light and phantom power 
    Still not sure what to do and how much it really draws 

• Options
    @lino my kitchen night light only glows after I’ve had the light turned on. I think it’s got glow in the dark properties as it does not glow when the light has been off, which is most always. Mine is a 2017, and if I remember correctly there may have been a powered night light button in earlier models. 
  • Options
    When I checked my kitchen button it was glowing, and the light had not been on for several days. It is pretty bright in the T@B, though, so I suspect the ambient light probably charged it up a bit.

Either way, a glow-in-the-dark button will not draw power from the battery. The bathroom light button, on the other hand, probably contains a tiny LED--the power draw of which is probably negligible.

It does sound like these particular feature vary somewhat among models.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @ScottG I have a 2017 320S. What year is yours?
  • Options
  • Options
    linolino Member Posts: 225
    Thanks for the feedback
    Seems like it’s nothing to be concerned about 
  • Options
    DougWWDougWW Member Posts: 87
    I know I'm well behind on this but the discussion was interesting. I've a 2018 T@B and I can verify the "glow plug" light button on the kitchen light and no after-glow at all in the shower. I don't see any evidence of power drain.
    ...Doug

2021 T@B 320S Boondock, Chevy Avalanche, Happy wife.
  • Options
    Yep. Sounds like they dropped the potty night light sometime after 2015. Maybe right about the time they decided to add a battery disconnect...  ;-)
    2015 T@B S