Best canopy?

GATabberGATabber Member Posts: 31
edited June 2018 in Products and Accessories
We've decided to get a canopy that will cover our 2017 320S instead of the side tent (that has too many water pooling issues for the cost). So now we are looking for advice from any of you who use a canopy to cover your T@B. We've seen a few videos that show owners using a 10x10 or a 12x12 "pop up" (or EZ up) canopy -- we want one that will cover the RV, plus add a little covered room outside the door, so we're thinking 12x12 will be best. Do any of you use one that you just love?? If so, we would really appreciate you sharing the brand/size and why you love it!  Thanks!!
2017 T@B 320 S
TV 2012 Honda Odyssey/2018 Toyota Tacoma

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Check out the 12 x 12 PahaQue.  You may need to elevate the poles, but I have seen pics with a Tab and room to spare.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    If you can find one of the original T@B awnings sold with Dutchmen T@Bs, they're the best IMO.  Heavier material and better pole support.  No longer made, but from time to time people sell them in the FB groups
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• newellnewell Member Posts: 182
         Check out this thread.  At 15' x 15' it might be just what you need.  

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/3141/15x15-point-loma-dome-shelter#latest

Earl & Sue | Central NY |
    2017 T@B 320S | TV: Chevy Silverado
  • mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 87
  • GATabberGATabber Member Posts: 31
    This is what I am looking for!! The guy says it's a 12x12...but we just bought a 12x12 to try it out...and it does not have this coverage. This user doesn't seem to be active here anymore so I can't ask details. Anyone have any ideas about what the size of this one may be? (The 12x12 we got was that size as the footprint....not at the top.)

2017 T@B 320 S
  • DaveCDaveC Member Posts: 80

I had a Kelty Sunshade (Large) and attached 2 of the three legs to my T@B.  Had it at the Western Washington Meet in Wenachee last month.  It was fine the 40mph wind and downpour.
    2017 T@B 320 Outback 2023 400 BD (IdahoTabato) pushing a 2023 Volvo XC90
  • duckblind123duckblind123 Member Posts: 61
    We bought a 13x13 from Costco and it has worked out perfectly.

Marc & Janet
    2016 T@B Max S - 2017 Honda Pilot - Winchester,VA

@duckblind123 Yes!! Is that an easy one to put up? How exactly do you get the camper under it? 
    2017 T@B 320 S
  • duckblind123duckblind123 Member Posts: 61
    Fairly easy to put up.  I did purchase casters for the legs that I use to roll it in place.  We do need to pick up one end of it to roll it over the T@B to clear the vent cover on top.  But once in place, we remove the casters and it sits perfectly over the T@B.  We do like having the extra shade and I have checked in a direct sunlight campsite, the canopy kept our T@B about 15 degrees cooler.  The A/C did not have to work as hard to cool the unit down.

Marc & Janet
    2016 T@B Max S - 2017 Honda Pilot - Winchester,VA

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @GATabber I did the same setup last summer, but helped a friend put the Coleman 13x13 over her Scamp last weekend. The Coleman is easier than my WM one, so I might sell it and buy the easier one at Costco. You do need to stake and tie it down or it will take flight! The shade was a lifesaver that trip! As long as the legs are 10x10 it will go around the Tab. You have to have two people to lift it over the tallest part of the Tab. I also tied it to the Tab with padding and ball bungees to protect the trailer from scratching. Good luck! 

Almost forgot, I can attest to @DaveC awning. We figured the winds at Lincoln Rock were 45-50mph that first night and his awning didn’t budge! He also looked very comfy sleeping in his lounger in the sun one afternoon! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    edited June 2018

This campground does not allow stakes of any kind, so I had to get creative!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    @Homebodyatheart Thanks so much for the info and pics!! I still can't quite wrap my head around how my husband and I are going to do this without more help....but I guess we'll find out this weekend! We purchased a 13x13 canopy from WalMart and will try it out on Friday! I sure hope it all works out! If it does, I'll be sure to post pics! :) 
    2017 T@B 320 S
    @Homebodyatheart Ok....just thinking through this again.....how do you get the canopy over the T@B with just 2 people? If we both lift a canopy leg up....that leaves 2 legs not supported? Do you have any tips/tricks for us to try?
    2017 T@B 320 S
    @GATabber you each lift a leg up and over and drag the other two. Just go slowly. There are probably neighboring campers who will offer help, too. Don’t forget you can turn your Tab to get the best view (unless the ground is too soft). That’s half the fun! 
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I used to set up and move the canopy myself. Just take it slow. It's easier to have one person with you moving one set of legs forward, and then the back set - just a little bit at a time. Sometimes the ground would allow me to drag it a little. I wouldn't do that much.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    I think the addition of caster wheels to let the canopy roll is brilliant.  You really only need 2 wheels as you drag and lift the front end over the Tab, the rear of the canopy on wheels will follow.
    @SAM I would want them lockable or removable as I’ve camped in areas where we’ve had high winds. 
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    SAM said:
    I think the addition of caster wheels to let the canopy roll is brilliant.  You really only need 2 wheels as you drag and lift the front end over the Tab, the rear of the canopy on wheels will follow.
    Yes, and casters also provide a little extra height. Maybe even use something like those rubber pneumatic wheels to give even more lift. When I do any long term camping in the SW, again, I may try this. I do so love my glamping sunshade. Though...hmmm...maybe I can get mom to work on one of these, too.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Just curious...  What's the advantage of any of these approaches over the PahaQue awning made for the T@B? It's simple, compact, and stays put and performs in all kinds of inclement weather.

I will attest to the value of DaveC's three-point sunshade. I carry one of those as well, but it usually goes over the campsite picnic table. His adaptation is pretty clever, however.
    2015 T@B S
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ScottG, in extremely hot weather, the shade over a T@B or any camper does cool the camper down.

I used a 12x12 PahaQue Cottonwood canopy over my 5x10 Silver Shadow teardrop and it was the difference between roasting and being comfortable inside in temps over 90*.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Congratulations! That’s a great setup. 
  • rrcbovrrcbov Member Posts: 109
    Looking for a canopy that can be handled by one person.   Any first-hand experience out there?
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock, 2021 Toyota Tacoma, Juno Beach Florida
    @rrcbov - we were just at uCamp last month.  Our campsite neighbor had a Yoli Easy Lift from Amazon.  Easy for 1 person!