Crossing Canadian Border

Om3Om3 Member Posts: 72
When crossing the border is it necessary to have proof of insurance for the car/trailer?

Comments

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Didn’t read this thread since it was posted, but remember it had useful info.
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/72763#Comment_72763
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    In researching, I read you should have it, but we were not asked about it the two times we crossed last year. 
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    Canadian border guards never asked for any documentation from us, again while entering Canada from Idaho and then from Alaska.

Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

• GibWGibW Member Posts: 95
    Yes, you will need to produce it if asked. On the other hand we’ve never been asked. 
    2017 T@B Max-S, silver & silver, towed by a Titanium Silver 2018 Kia Sorento AWD V-6, Twin Cities MN
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Our auto liability policy covers the trailer, which is all that they would be concerned about. 

So, yes you're required to have auto insurance, but no, they don't ask for it at the border. (But they could ask if they wanted to!)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Like other have said, but never the less, you need registration for it, Police could ask about them if you guet arrested.  Inssurance, i do beleive that your liability from the car is good to go, if this is how you are covered in the state where you are.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    I've never been asked for proof of insurance on any of the many occasions I've crossed the border. Regardless, why not just have it in your vehicle anyway? Lots of states require it and you will likely need it in the event of an accident.

Insurance requirements typically apply only liability. Sine your T/V liability should also cover your trailer while in tow, I can't imagine you would need paperwork for the T@B.
    2015 T@B S
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Have taken our T@b over a couple times to Canada, no insurance questions asked.  Always have the TV documents, but never the T@b specific insurance docs.  They are more concerned you're bringing a gun with you.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Om3Om3 Member Posts: 72
    Thank you one and all! This is most helpful...we do have insurance for our truck and T@B...
    the registrations for both are always with us! 
  • T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    One question I keep getting asked is if I'm carrying at least $10,000 in cash.   Too bad I can't say yes to that question, but I'm always tempted to answer......"sorry officer, only $9999 today."   Would be fun to see how interesting things would get!
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    T@Balong said:
    One question I keep getting asked is if I'm carrying at least $10,000 in cash.   Too bad I can't say yes to that question, but I'm always tempted to answer......"sorry officer, only $9999 today."   Would be fun to see how interesting things would get!
    I'm pretty sure that would give you a story to tell, but I'm not sure you would enjoy that particular flavour of "interesting."  LOL
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
    Last time we went over they asked us if we had a gun with us, we said no, of course not.  Then they asked if we had guns at home.  Thought that was weird.  Of course one of my wisecracking friends had to say he had an arsenal at home.  Never been asked if we had 10k cash with us though.  That is even weirder?

That is odd. Did your friend (or anyone) actually have an "arsenal" at home? If the guns were registered, if someone had a CC permit, or if there was any other official record of firearm possession, I wonder if that information somehow trickles into the customs database. If they already know (or suspect) the answer to something, it could be a tactic to screen for honesty.

Not many places left to hide in the information age...
    2015 T@B S
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    If you have a CC permit, it must be declared on your paperwork, whether or not you attempt to carry across the border.

I understand that a friend with a CC, and no weapons, was questioned for over an hour at the border and he says he made no smart alec comments to the border agents. His fellow traveler pretty much went right through, with few questions. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    What Verna said....  If you have a CC permit in the US you most likely can expect a lengthy delay as hand guns are illegal in Canada and they will treat you in a less than favorable manner.   They searched my trailer, pulled things out and took a dozen eggs (no US eggs allowed a/c avian flu) so best advice for any border crossing is to be polite, produce a passport for the official, answer their questions, leave the side windows open so they can look inside and be cooperative.  Your personal information is shared between countries and it is available instantly.  

I was there for a hour, you basically have no rights in another country so be prepared, be cordial, do some research prior to entry as to what is allowable or not (e.g., food, weapons, bear spray, etc) and answer their questions calmly and without going into a lengthy response.  

My passport was stamped by the official which simplified the other border crossings headed up to Alaska and back, and we had entered just north of North Dakota and heading into Winnipeg and drove scross Canada via the Yellowhead Highway.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I didn't know about the egg restrictions!! I'm sure there is a website that has a list of "forbidden" items to cross the border.

Warning... Soapbox, but Important Info below!....

All the items prohibited crossing the border either way is for the protection of both Canadian and U.S. agriculture (i.e. farming and ranching). It's not to inconvenience people. Working in agriculture, I'm very aware of invasive pests that could devastate the industry. The gov't agency that is responsible for protecting U.S. agriculture is USDA-APHIS-Plant Protection and Quarantine (PPQ). I didn't want to put a link in because those break occasionally. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    Ratkity said:
    I didn't know about the egg restrictions!! I'm sure there is a website that has a list of "forbidden" items to cross the border.

Warning... Soapbox, but Important Info below!....

All the items prohibited crossing the border either way is for the protection of both Canadian and U.S. agriculture (i.e. farming and ranching). It's not to inconvenience people. Working in agriculture, I'm very aware of invasive pests that could devastate the industry. The gov't agency that is responsible for protecting U.S. agriculture is USDA-APHIS-Plant Protection and Quarantine (PPQ). I didn't want to put a link in because those break occasionally. 
    Sometime confiscation of food items can even occur within the country. We had some produce taken when we boarded the ferry in Newfoundland to return to Nova Scotia.
    2015 T@B S
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I agree with RK...  Look at all the invasive species and insects that have devastated our Great Lakes basin and throughout the US.  I believe that some of these issues are not discussed adequately via the news media and eventually awareness is increased when things go awry.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    Next time we go,  I'm going to admit I have an arsenal of eggs at home. :)

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    :rofl: @ db_cooper, you might also want to change your "name"...just in case they're on to you or something! :rofl:
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Om3Om3 Member Posts: 72
    Just rolled through 4 days ago...absolutely no problem!
  • JonWJonW Member Posts: 37
    ChanW said:
    Our auto liability policy covers the trailer, which is all that they would be concerned about. 

So, yes you're required to have auto insurance, but no, they don't ask for it at the border. (But they could ask if they wanted to!)

This has been my experience having crossed in and out of Canada multiple times with my teardrop (pre-T@B) over the years.  On occassion they have wanted to look inside, either because they wanted to check that I wasn't smuggling a trailer full of booze or cigarettes (or something), or they were just curious.

JonW - 2018 T@B 320U
    Marlborough, Mass