Options

Second propane tank

Has anyone installed a second propane tank in the front storage compartment? It looks as though there is room. It would be useful to have a backup, especially when camping off the grid. I contacted the tech dept and they said it may not be a good idea to add weight to the tongue.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    What Tab do you have?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @greenjacket, welcome to the forum, the t@b family and congratulations on your trailer.  Your question is interesting as many people here have done a modification that allows 2 batteries in the front tub, with the propane tank in there also. Can't imagine that 2 tanks would outweigh 2 batteries by much. Also the boondock model has a diamond plate tub and rack up front. This is built by the factory. Can't imagine either that one extra propane tank would outweigh the weight on the front of the boondock, so someone with this or the 2 battery mod chime in to assure or dissuade greenjacket about the tongue weight.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    A filled propane tank is approximately 37 lbs, time 2 equals 74 lbs. A 6V Battery is 60+ lbs times 2, equals 120+ lbs.  So 74 lbs plus 60 lbs is 134 lbs. I have 173 lbs in my tub with two 6V batteries with one propane tank. 

Two propane tanks tanks and one battery is less weight than mine, but.....use a cardboard template to see how the two tanks and one battery could be arranged. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    They may have a 400 with plenty of room for a second tank.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 923
  • Options
    greenjacketgreenjacket Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for the responses. I failed to mention that we have a 400 and there does appear to be room for a second 20lb propane tank. However, with the suggestions on batteries made me wonder if, when boondocking, it is better to have battery power back up rather than propane. Our 400 is fitted with a 12v battery
  • Options
    @greenjacket, your one 12V battery has more amp hours than my two 6V batteries. You have plenty of battery voltage. 

And my calculations above were for a T@B 320, not the T@B 400. 

IF your tow vehicle can handle the extra 37 lbs, per the manufacturers spec sheet, it may be possible to have the extra propane tank. What tow vehicle do you have and what does your tow vehicle’s owner’s manual say it can tow and what does it say it can have as tongue weight? 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    With the 400 and the 12v frige, you will be needing more battery much sooner than propane when off grid.

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @greenjacket depending on how long you will be off grid each time, you might want to see how long your tank really lasts you before you go to the expense and adjustment of a second tank.  I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised! Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Verna, I have a Toyota FJ Cruiser, Max towing weight 5,000lbs and tongue weight at 500lbs. rfuss928, good point regarding the battery. Homebodyatheart - I think I will do that, and see how we manage. I did think about a generator but our off grid trips will probably be 3-4 days so may not be necessary
  • Options
    verna, it's a 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser - I think the same engine as your Tacoma. Max towing 5,000 lbs and 10% tongue weight
    rfuss 928, good point re the fridge
    homebodyatheart, probably 3-4 days at a time so we will wait to see how the propane lasts. Thinking a generator may be overkill.
  • Options
    We cook a lot.  Once or twice every day.  We heat very little.  Camping about 60 days a season,  we use less than 10#s. YMMV

• Options
    @greenjacket, your battery has 138 amp hours, give or take a few.  I have 125 ah with my two 6V golf cart batteries.  I use 200 watts of solar panels to keep my batteries charged, and they do a wonderful job. rfuss928 is correct that you will need more battery charging than propane for summer camping.

Solar is less expensive than a generator, if you are in a location that is not total forest. Propane useage depends on how much hot water you heat, how much you need heat from your Alde, and how much you cook. I camp a lot in the Southwest in the winter and I use 20# of propane every 7 to 15 days, depending on the nighttime temps. In the summer, my 20# tank can last 4+ weeks, depending on amount of cooking and showers. Your propane usage will vary depending on the temps you camp in, etc. I can see needing 2 propane tanks in the winter, but not in the summer.

Also, a generator can only be used to charge your battery during specific times of the day in campgrounds. 

My Tacoma can tow 6500 lbs with a tongue weight of 650. Your FJ has a totally different body frame than my Tacoma. I would suggest trying to tow with one propane tank, then try it with two tanks. You can also put more weight under the bed, behind the axle, to counteract the extra tongue weight. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,422
    edited June 2018
    @greenjacket, I've gone 8+ days running the fridge full time, firing up the Alde for hot water once a day, using the stove for morning coffee, and firing up my gas-guzzling grill 1-2 times daily. This uses about half a tank.

I do think a second tank is a good idea, but you could probably leave it at home filled and ready for the next trip!

Don't rule out a generator, though. Your neighbors in the nice state park filled mostly with tents will really enjoy hearing it every morning and evening during "generator hours."  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    A "steak saver" adapter and a one pound propane cylinder provides good back-up and takes up very little space.  I know a few people that use these as their only propane source.  Another approach to consider.

SHINESTAR Steak Saver Adapter 1 LB Propane Adapter Converter Universal Small Disposable Propane Bottle for Gas Grill and Propane Tree - 1-20 Male Throwaway Cylinder Thread

Have Fun!
    Bob

• Options
    Thanks to everyone for many helpful suggestions. This is a fascinating learning journey! One thing we found on our first trip was that the thermostat screen is very hard to read!
  • Options
    @greenjacket, I’ve heard a small step stool may be need for those of us who are vertically challenged. Maybe a fold down step attached to the cabinet?  I can’t remember if there is room for one inside the door. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    DrewcarrieDrewcarrie Member Posts: 26
    We live in Utah w sun so my solar panels keep us topped off. Since our trailers are so cute I keep a ten pound tank in the back of the truck,could be backup, but I use it for bbq and outdoor stove from car camping days. I have lugged around a generator in case I ever use the AC for the dog when we go biking. Over upgrading I put a zamp plug on the outside for a solar panel w a thirty foot cord if I’m parked under trees. 2 cents, a 5 or 10 pound tank is easy to lug around if u use a lot of hot water and cook a lot, and could be hooked up in front locker while not moving
  • Options
    Thanks Verna and Drewcarrie. I'm loving this forum as much as our new TAB400 !