T@B 400 Battery not charging while on shore power

Anyone had a problem with their 400 battery not charging while on shore power?  
2018 T@B 400 (P@t's Condo), Silver and Black, TV 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 CrewCab, Phil & Pat in Waynesville, NC

Comments

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Hi @pingnc. Are you seeking help with a specific problem, or just curious if others are experiencing this?
    2015 T@B S
  • pingncpingnc Member Posts: 25
    My 400 has been 'plugged in' for 4 weeks and the battery level is down to 10.98 volts.  In the past the battery has been fully charged when left pluged in.  Am I missing something with the converter/power management system?
    2018 T@B 400 (P@t's Condo), Silver and Black, TV 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 CrewCab, Phil & Pat in Waynesville, NC
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Is your battery cut off switch in the “On”/green position?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    Yes, the battery switch is in the green "On" position.
    Have you checked to see if you can run anything off DC only?  Have you checked the battery fuse?  What size battery and fuse do you have?
    This is a 2018 400 with the standard massive battery.  I don't recall a fuse in the charging circuit.  Where should I check?  Is there a way to check the charger phase of the electrical panel?
    I believe the large 225 amp batteries have a 40 amp fuse.  Let me try a search.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @SAM, there is a photo on the forum somewhere. It does not look like the 30A or less blade fuses.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    edited July 2018
    See thread “ 400 is not operating at all on battery power”.  Pics included.  Start from page one.  Even if your fuse is blown and you replace it, the draw as you attempt to recharge it may blow another fuse.  So, once you change the fuse, try charging with a smart charger, rather than the converter.
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @SAM, I remember a thread about that too. Good info. Thanks.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
    Thanks for this info.  I will check the fuse, etc. when I can get back out to it.  Will keep you posted on the progress.  Thanks, again.  This is a great group!!
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Meanwhile, you'll need to see if your battery can really take a charge. If it's down below 11.5V, it might have been catastrophic to the battery.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    I agree. Troubleshooting 101 says start with the battery itself. Put it on a separate charger and see if it takes and holds a charge. Measure the voltage at the battery itself with a decent voltmeter.

If the battery checks out. Start working toward the converter. Make sure power is actually getting through the cut-off switch. Check all fuses in the battery charging circuit; there may be more than one. My 320 has at least three fuses (one at the battery itself and two in the converter) that could affect charging.

Make sure none of your 120V AC circuit breakers are tripped. One of them will control power to the onboard charger, though which one may not be immediately obvious.

Of course, this all assumes that everything else in the camper works properly on shore power. If that is not the case, the problem may be with your main power supply to the converter--a whole different issue. Good luck and let us know what you find!
    2015 T@B S
    Thanks for all the input.  i did find the 40 amp CB had tripped.  Reset it and it began to charge, however, it tripped the CB again.  Reset it and watched as the voltage built up.  The fan on the converter came on to cool it off.  At 12.61 volts the CB tripped again.  Reset the CB and again watched as the voltage increased.  Tripped again at 12.60 volts.  CB wouldn't reset after that.  I figured the converter is overheated, so will try to reset in the morning. Again, thanks everyone for the help.
    @pingnc, if you read the thread listed you will see the need to charge your battery with a smart charger.  Your converter will not be able to charge a badly depleted battery.
    It could also be a faulty circuit breaker--much easier to replace than a converter.

Regardless, start at the beginning. It's possible that some problem with your battery (or even an overly discharged battery, as SAM noted) is causing the overload. Even some smart chargers won't charge a battery that is too deeply depleted.

Keep in mind that the voltage you are seeing while charging reflects the output of the charger, not the charge state of the battery itself.
    2015 T@B S
    Thanks, again... Reporting success on the recharge operation.  Last night the CB would not reset.  I let it cool down over night and it would reset this morning.  The fan on the converter came on immediately, but the CB did not trip.  I checked it throughout the day and it remained on.  I just checked and the battery is getting 13.61 volts from the converter and it is still running (with its cooling fan running). I am hoping the battery, though traumatized, is functioning and will hold the charge.

I still do not understand what would have caused the CB to trip in the first place.  And how the fully charged battery would discharge to such a low state in 4 weeks.  I have the frig off, the TV unplugged (thanks for the tip on the in-line 12 volt switch :>) the Jensen fuse pulled, and the Alde off.  Strange... Will post un update if things are not OK.

Thanks, again for all the help and support... this group ROCKS :>)

• JonWJonW Member Posts: 37
    I've found the radio and carbon dioxide alarm both contribute to battery drain.  When not using my T@B for a while I just turn off the battery using the red rotary switch.

Even doing that, it is good for the battery to use it once a month either to charge or discharge it a little.  I've been told that from a number of battery engineers.
    JonW - 2018 T@B 320U
    Marlborough, Mass