Options

For those towing with cars especially Subaru

db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
Just got back from a week in the Banff area. Due to some problems with our usual TV , the Xterra, had to take our trip with our 2014 Subaru Outback 3.6R with a 5 speed auto (pre CTV).

We already had a class 3 hitch, but at last minute got the 7 pin wired in and off we went.  Luckily I got this device the day before we left.  If not I'm pretty sure I would have done some long term damage to the Subie. Without it, I would have continued along in overdrive, driving the temps above what's healthy, but shy of the warning light. (Not sure when it comes on, but probably way too late.

With this device, and a free app on Android, I was able to monitor transmission temperature. 

BAFX Products Bluetooth Diagnostic OBDII Reader/Scanner for Android Devices https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_n4rvBbTHHC9KX

What I learned is that you cannot use 5th gear at all, temps climb past 200 F immediately.  In 4th I could keep temps between 200 and 220, but long climbs got up to 235 and once 263. Temps were cooler at 65mph than 60mph.  Fuel economy was dismal at about 11-12mpg.

I will probably replace the transmission fluid soon.  After this, we will only use the Subaru for towing if absolutely necessary, or very short trips.  
2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

Comments

• Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    Been pulling our T@B with our 2014 Outback 3.6L CVT without issues. The Outback has 40,000 miles without issues. Pull up and down AZ mountains regularly. Been up and down the California coast a few times. Last time in for service everything checked out fine. Had all fluids replaced and new tires installed.

I do know there have been others who had numerous issues so not sure where the true problems lie when pulling a T@B with a Subaru.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    Based on what I saw with the temp guage, I'd recommend getting a transmission cooler if you don't already have one,  if you plan on keeping the car a while.  We like to get 200k and about 15 years out of our cars.  

• Options
    FerdFerd Member Posts: 16
    Last August we pulled our 320 from Sacramento to Portland with our Outback 3.6 and experienced the same temperatures (up to 260). The Outback was a great towing vehicle but after that trip we decided to trade it in for an Acura MDX. Unfortunately, Subaru doesn't make a transmission cooler for the Outback.
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    But Subaru is coming out with the new Ascent this month. Top three models tow 5000#, has a transmission cooler plus more. We test drove it and it was very nice! 4cyl boxer turbo engine I think. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Sounds like the new Subbie will be a game changer.  We are in the market to replace our Camry....hmmmmm.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    JanandDaveJanandDave Member Posts: 119
    @db_cooper We have been pulling the T@B for a year with my 2009 R3.0 with no issues. It has a ‘real’ 5 speed transmission, too, with a factory built in cooler. In very hilly areas, I do shift into manual and use fourth gear (or third if needed).  Try to maintain the tongue weight at around 200-210 pounds. Installed foam coil spring inserts which help keep her level when loaded. Out of caution, I have changed the tranny fluid after each of our long trips, but have never found the fluid to be burnt or compromised. Average 15 mpg unless there are headwinds. 

That being said, in the great Subie debate, engine cooling has always been the biggest concern. Also, I would never have towed with any of my previous 4 cylinder versions. We will probably upgrade TVs when Jan retires and we travel even more. 
    2016 T@B 320 Max S  "T@BsentMinded"
    2009 Subaru Outback R 3.0
    2022 Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab

• Options
    trainwreckedtrainwrecked Member Posts: 31
    edited July 2018
    A transmission cooler comes standard on 2015 and newer Outbacks.
    2016 T@b M@x S Sofitel >- 2017 Subaru Outback 3.6
  • Options
    trainwreckedtrainwrecked Member Posts: 31
    edited July 2018
    But Subaru is coming out with the new Ascent this month. Top three models tow 5000#, has a transmission cooler plus more. We test drove it and it was very nice! 4cyl boxer turbo engine I think. 
    No complaints or issues towing the T@B with our Outback over the past year and half, but the Ascent is nice!  They even have one towing a T@B in one of their commercials.  I saw my first one on the highway a couple days ago towing a pop-up, not nearly as giant as I thought it would be - just looks like an Outback that got a little taller.
    2016 T@b M@x S Sofitel >- 2017 Subaru Outback 3.6
  • Options
    BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    We are upgrading our 2016 2.5 Outback to the 2019 Acsent. The Outback has been a good car, just need more load capacity, we want to bring our canoe, or bikes. Toungue weight max for the car is just to light. Also the Acsent has a tow stabilization feature I think is a great addition.
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
     we want to bring our canoe, or bikes.
    With the right racking setup, you could bring both!
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    We are also planning to upgrade to an Ascent from our current Forester. We love the Forester but it just doesn't have the towing capacity we need for a T@B. Being brand new, the Ascent will be in short supply and have little discounting. 
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • Options
    Our Ascent is in order, looks like late August. We have the racks for bikes and our canoe, just not the load capacity with the limitations of the Outback.
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
  • Options
    The Ascent looks great.  I'd still recommend the app and Wifi dongle above for monitoring stuff.  It also reads the diagnostic codes, much cheaper than buying a tuner.  Anyone towing with a car should have this IMO.  Unfortunately, I can't get it to read transmission temps in the Xterra, so I'll have to assume the transmission cooler is doing its job.  

• Options
    Update our new T.V. Is in

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    That is one nice looking TV! Is it the angle, my eyes, or is it not quite level.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Nice! Looking forward to your review.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @jgram2, it’s not hitched!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Yes not hitched, just backed up when the photo was taken. 
  • Options
    Question: do it come ready-to-tow with a 7-pin connector and 12V charge line, or is that something additional? I know previous Subarus were only wired for a 4-pin connector. 
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Hehe I had to look 2x before realizing it wasn't hitched. Nice looking TV!! Hope you get lots of great memories camping with that setup.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    As I surmised, it was my eyes.😳
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    So when you order the car with a hitch it is installed at the port. The hitches where back ordered, ours will no be in until Monday. Dealer did not know if it came with a 7 pin connector. They tell us they will install one if it comes without.
  • Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    edited July 2018
    The accessories brochure shows a 7 pin connector with the factory installed hitch. And the Owner's Manual mentions that it has both a 7-pin and 4-pin connector mounted.

‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @BirdieJane I’m so excited for you!  Our ascent should be coming in later this month, hopefully earlier! It’s my understanding that the touring model has a brake controller built into it, but I don’t know that the premium or the limited models do. We’re having a hitch installed and brake controller on a limited model. The top three ascent models have transmission coolers and some other braking sensor, I can’t remember what, built into them To handle the 5000 pound towing capacity anywhere. Enjoy!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    The parts dept told me it is wired for a 7 pin plug and the hitch install includes the plug. Apache Trailer recommended the Prodogy RF controller, It will arrive tomorrow 
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Ok here is a video of the Ascent towing the Trailer of Doom utilizing the trailer stabilization system.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=glZGfBh4zTs

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Wow! Never have seen the "Trailer of Doom" but can see why it is! Too cool
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    astory52astory52 Member Posts: 2
    I will be trailering my T@B  320 S with a 2018 RaV 4 Adventure package which has a towing capacity for 2900 pounds so I am hopeful all will go well.
  • Options
    dhaufdhauf Member Posts: 199
    I installed a transmission cooler from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C3F3SO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On my Volvo I would see temps around 105C(221F) on those really hot days towing.  I installed this cooler and stays at 80C (176) or lower now, even on 90+ degree F days!  I am very impressed with it.  Now 220F for transmission temp is not bad and certainly won't cause an issue with your transmission if you maintain it properly.  Anything above 240 degrees F is not good as it will start to deteriorate the fluid quickly and you can start to burn your clutches.  I flush my fluid every 30,000 miles to play it safe.  Fluid is very inexpensive, mine always stays a nice red color with no burning smell or issues.  Even though I have the cooler I will continue to flush every 30k as well.  It is cheap insurance.  Here is a handy chart showing the fluid change intervals based on transmission temps.  This may not apply to every vehicle but it is close enough for most cars.