Explaining winterizing valves

I live in New England and am done with camping for this year so I just winterized my 2018 t@b cs-s for the third year. I followed the NuCamp directions exactly, but I find that I can do it much more easily if I understood what was going on. I haven't had any problems in the past years. I'd just like to understand what the valve switching is doing.

What I don't understand is what moving the levers under the sink is doing. When camping I am pulling water from either the city connection or the fresh water tank through the hoses/pipes to the useful item (sink, toilet, shower, etc.) then through into the grey and/or black tanks. All the valves need to be in "camping mode" which I assume means unblocked from one end to the other. So, I'm assuming changing the valves for winterization means I'm blocking something. Why? Why not keep everything open, blow out all the hoses then put in anti-freeze. It's a closed system so wouldn't that work?

I get that there is some Alde bypass system, but I don't understand if that is the entire reason for the valve changing or if it's just part of it. Does that mean that normally the Alde has water going through it during camping mode?

I have finished winterizing by both blowing out the hoses and putting in anti-freeze. My valves are all in "winterizing mode" and will stay that way during the winter until spring unless someone tells me to change them.

Thanks for any geeky explanations any of you have.

Aileen, Muggles & Scout @ 2018 T@b CS-S @ 2018 RAV4 Adventure @ Massachusetts

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Just to confirm, where are you putting the antifreeze?  Only in the P traps, gate valves and toilet?  Or are you running it throughout your plumbing?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • geekmamageekmama Member Posts: 107
    This was the first year I used the fresh water tank so I put it in there, in the toilet, bathroom sink and kitchen sink and then I ran the water pump for a few minutes.
    Camping season mode

All systems, including the Alde, are available to water flow via city connection or tank.  The hot and cold water drains remain closed which allows enough water pressure via city water or the pump to supply the system.  The Alde bypass valve when closed, allows cold water to enter the Alde (by opening your hot water faucets) to be heated and then to supply your sinks and shower.

Winterizing mode (as shown by nuCamp TaB Manual)

The statement “only needed if you are using RV antifreeze to winterize” is a misnomer.  The intention by that statement is that you plan to fill your plumbing system with antifreeze.  We use antifreeze, but we don’t add it to the fresh tank or lines, but we still call that winterizing.  Anyway, the purpose of opening your Alde bypass valve and closing the hot and cold water shut off valves is to bypass the Alde to prevent antifreeze from entering the Alde water tank.  So, antifreeze flows from the fresh water tank, through the pump cold water plumbing and instead of going into the Alde like water does in camping mode, the AF flows from the cold water line directly to the lines that would normally carry hot water - avoiding the Alde.  That’s why the blue and red lines are connected with that valve.  So, with AF in your fresh water tank and your Alde bypassed, your pump moves the AF throughout your plumbing lines when you open your faucets.  

BTW - in the spring, if you have AF in your fresh water tank and you have bypassed the Alde (no AF in the Alde), leave the valves in the winterizing mode to flush and then sanitize your system.  That way, you will avoid flushing AF into the Alde and with sanitizing you will avoid putting bleach into the Alde.

Here is a diagram that ScottG made that I find helpful.  Hope this helps you understand the valves.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021717/uploads/editor/dl/qfgpl3lmyfbz.pdf

• geekmamageekmama Member Posts: 107
    Okay, great. I think that makes it clear. I will not change my valves until I have flushed and sanitized my system next year.
  • lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 731
    @geekmama   If you are like me, and learn visually--in additional to Scott's great diagram---here is a photo of the valve positions for camping mode & winterizing mode.   This helped me a lot.
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    @geekmama, that picture is exactly what I was looking for.  We bought a used T@B, I saw the fresh water tank was pretty full, when I went to drain it it smelled fermented.  Contacted the previous user and found out it had been winterized. So now I can compare the picture and see how the valves are set.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • mannymanny Member Posts: 108
    Don`t forget to put anti-freeze down the the shower drain. That's a p-trap under there...  
    2017  T@B CS-S Max ...  2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I try to look at valves as to what they do, visually look at them and then think what is this going to do if I turn it? Handle in line with pipe, water flows, handle perpendicular to pipe, no flow. Think about what it is you are trying to do; tasks like drain water tank, drain Alde, drain water lines and bypass Alde.

I have a 400 so maybe a bit easier, but exact same principals and tasks to be completed.

Once you look at it as a system and knowing what you are trying to accomplish, it is much easier to understand what actions need done.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Cloie920Cloie920 Member Posts: 1
    We purchases a 2016   320CS-S and would like help as to winterizing via the blow out the lines method.  And could anyone share a picture of the water lines under the back kitchen as to what way the valves should be.  Also we can't find the Battery Disconnect....Help please
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    Welcome, @Cloie. Look here for lots of info on winterizing.
    Battery disconnects are usually mounted in the front tub near the battery. However, nuCamp didn't start supplying them until sometime after 2015. It's possible yours was built prior to the change and doesn't have one.
    2015 T@B S
    @Cloie920, do you have the bypass valve?