Options

Warning label on windows not to have window shade covering windows while the sun is shining. Do you?

jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
Anybody notice this label in the corner of every window in their Nucamp trailer? I interpret it to mean that the shade should not cover the window when the sun is shining. The other, more obvious point, is to keep the windows closed while towing.

Those of you who have closed your shades when parked in the sun, camping or not, have you seen and damage done to your windows over the years?

I found no relevant information on the window manufacturer's website.

2019 T@B400
TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
Southern California
Full-timer since 2019

Comments

• Options
    @Bayliss I hope you are right.  Others: please weigh-in on this.
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited October 2019
    @jimcenname, here's a thread that also discusses it, but it is mostly about the clip for the blinds.  Also good to know, however.

As you will see in that thread, I wrote to Horrex about the clip and its purpose.  They responded:

"It’s indeed to stabilize the system.  If you pull down either blackout or plissé it will keep it together without the possibility to fall down.  The blackout and mesh are tentioned with cords so without the clip it still won’t fall down.  But it just to be sure."

From those comments, I concluded that even though there is tension created by the cords, they could still fail and the blind/screen (but especially the lower and heavier blind) could potentially fail and the blind may fall.  Therefore, I figured if at least the lower blind is kept open/retracted while towing, there is zero possibility of it falling.

Looking at the label (affixed by the Lexan window manufacturer, Plastoform), it depicts the trailer in motion.  The "X" (i.e., "No") is adjacent to the closed blind/screen, while the checkmark (i.e., "OK") is adjacent to the open blind/screen.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/8823/clips-for-window-shades-screens
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    We travel with them rolled into the top (or bottom). I believe traveling with them extended puts the middle portions of both the privacy blind and the screen through excessive movement. 
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    Well, either I am especially dense (could be) or that is one cryptic little decal.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    I agree that it means “retract while in motion”.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    I close all of mine while traveling.   On a 320 there is zero point in leaving them open.   In the warning label they are suggesting vision through the camper to the rear.   320 doesn't have that ability.     Plus it keeps the dirtbags from casing my trailer when I stop. 

we close the shades in the sun to help keep the trailer interior cooler and again,  to keep the dirtbags from casing the trailer at the the spot we are camping.   god forbid I need a nap in the afternoon.  

So far no issues with the windows melting, warping or other nastys regarding to heat from the shades.

If you can't close it in full sun I would think that is a huge design flaw.     
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I can see why you interpret that graphic that way, but the shades on ours actually are silver on the outside, which says to me that they're intended to reflect the sun, and keep it cool in the Tab.
    Have used them that way for years with no consequences.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 539
    I travel with the shades open on my 400. It allows a sight line through the camper. I have traveled over 17,000 miles with the shades open without issue. I interpreted the graphic as open while underway. I have closed the shades under full sun but typically use window awnings and/or visor awning to provide shade for the window and allow ventilation. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Thanks for feedback everyone. I emailed the window manufacturer and will post their response as to their meaning of the label. 
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,501
    Cbusguy said:
    I close all of mine while traveling.   On a 320 there is zero point in leaving them open.       
    The point of leaving the shades open is to save wear and tear on the blinds. I think that people underestimate how much the trailer bounces while it’s being towed. When traveling I put pieces of Reflectix in the windows to keep the interior cool and frustrate snoops. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    @Cbusguy
    Do you have a photo of how you use the Reflictix. I am curious how it stays in place. 
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited October 2019
    IMO the label is simply reminding you not to tow with your roof vent and windows open or a bottom shade/screen lifted up (whichever it happens to be). Gravity plus bumps in the road will yank it down.
    The original orientation of blinds/screens on T@Bs is where the screen lifts up from the bottom and the blind folds down from the top. Currently that is reversed, I believe due to feedback from forum users who wanted more privacy while screens are in use. Personally I prefer the original placement. That's another opinionated topic with multiple posts so let's ignore that issue for now. B) 
    My advice would be to lower whatever pleated portion is currently lifted up or retract both top and bottom.
    T@B 400 users in particular may prefer fully retracted front and rear windows for see-thru visibility from their TV.

Does Plastiform even know what type of shades might be installed with their windows? (@jimcenname answers that above; mystery solved; raise or lower to your heart's content)
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,501

Do you have a photo of how you use the Reflictix. I am curious how it stays in place. 
    I don’t have a photo. I cut the Reflectix to fit the windows. The window arms and the lock levers are enough to keep them in place. They are a little loose and I haven’t noticed any heat trapping issue. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    I was told by a few higher up that it meant open while in motion..this allows no heat to build up at the window due to no air circulating..no vents would be open and there can be extreme heat built up...feel the heat after 5 hours of travelling..when it's not in motion the privacy shade does an amazing job of keeping the trailer cooler...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    I don't know about the sun part of the little pic, but I think (and this is what I do) it means do not travel with the shades closed.  I believe the bouncing around while traveling could be very hard on the tension strings in the blinds.  I can put up some light curtains or towels to keep out the prying eyes and/or some of the sun when traveling.   When my trailer is not in use or is in winter storage, I open all the blinds and clip  light colored towels on the inside to keep the inside a little cooler and also to keep the sun from bleaching & rotting the shades and fabric cushions.  I want things to last as long as possible.  The sun is very hard on fabric and blinds.  Any other type of RV I have had also suggests to keep blinds open when traveling.

2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    I have had 2 tabs, live in the very hot Gulf Coast, driven thousands of miles with the lower shades up to keep eyes and heat out. While moving the air outside keeps the windows cooler. I am sure out of thousands of windows made a few may have some problems but so far not mine. If I were in Death Valley in summer I might do different. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited October 2019
    @jimcenname, I am glad that you wrote to the manufacturer about their window label.  It is a poorly designed label, which does not clearly convey their apparent message.

Using your photo, I did a reverse-image search on Google (should have done that earlier) and found this October 2016 T@G forum post:

"Had my T@G for two years---just noticed this sticker on the side window.  Went to www.plastoform.eu/blanca and found these instructions.  When traveling (actually moving down the road) I have been keeping my windows closed, latched, sunscreen up.  I thought it would be good to keep sunlight out of the trailer when possible.  However, as you can see from the "Safety Instruction" sheet on the website, they recommend leaving the shade down so as to prevent a heat buildup in the space between the shade and the window which could damage the plastic window."

The individual who posted those comments included a link to the safety bulletin, but it just takes you to the Plastoform site.  There is nothing there regarding a user manual or safety bulletin.

I am going to continue to leave the shades open/retracted while towing.  I can see the potential heat damage issue, but I have also read enough posts about folks having to re-string their shades to cause me to be concerned that driving with the shades closed might contribute to that problem.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    In the 320 manual under pre travel checklist, interior, it states “zip up shades” .  I interpret that as open. Our dealer told us to raise open screens and shades so they don’t move around an become disconnected.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I leave them open (retracted fully) when under way. I have started leaving them 50/50 when in storage. What I was noticing is with the shade closed in hot sun is the pleats would take a "set" and be hard to retract, kind of needed to help them relearn where home position was. The window shades/screens are nice, BUT I can see them being kind of fragile and subject to damage if not treated with extreme care. Two hands ALWAYS, slow movements, same goes for screen door.

I don't care about folks seeing in, when in transit, almost 100% of stuff is put away, nothing to see, move along. In storage with them 50/50 although nothing to see really, it is still very hard to see inside without a ladder on my Tab 400 Boondock, if someone wants to get a ladder and look, again, nothing to see so move along.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    ChanW said:
    I can see why you interpret that graphic that way, but the shades on ours actually are silver on the outside, which says to me that they're intended to reflect the sun, and keep it cool in the Tab.
    Have used them that way for years with no consequences.
    Yours on your 14 have roller shades. If the clips that hold them shut fail while on the road, they could violently fly up and destroy the roller mechanism.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I used to have the very fragile Dutchmen roller shades/screens that both rolled up from the bottom in two different tracks. I always towed with them open, as the clips that held them shut were very fragile, and one bump and "boom" they could roll up very hard. I now have the pleated shade/screen combo, and still ride with them retracted. Since I have my shade part on the bottom, I find it is heavier than the screens, and tends to slide downward anyway when shades are closed. I also as part of my travel stops like having the shades retracted, so that a quick peek inside during my walkaround tells me everything inside is riding as it should. (Or in the case when I hit a railroad crossing hard, my closet door flew open, and I had to retrieve everything in that closet from the floor).
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited March 2020
    I think some are misinterpreting the warning statement, it is saying to put thenscreen and is shade in the stowed position when towing, this way you can see through the units that have a back window.  Also leaving the shade over the window all the time in direct sun, is what the heat build up warning is about, allowing the reflected sun and heat to hit both sides of the two part window surfaces.  Shade open, sun just goes through. Having the windows cracked open to allow air flow on both sides of the window surface will add some cooling.  When driving, windows closed, shade and screen open/retracted.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    Here are the “Safety Instructions” that Plastoform sent me yesterday, regarding correct usage and care of the Plastoform “Blanca” windows in our T@B campers.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    FYI:  I added the Plastiform info to the forum TaB User Manuals/PDF Files category under Windows and Awnings.
  • Options
    HobieHobie Member Posts: 9
    Manual for 2017 T@B says to close shades during storage and "zip up" shades before travel. I suppose that means to open shades before travel for reasons discussed above, but it doesn't address whether "storage" is in the sun or not.
  • Options
    If storing in the sun, I think to prevent fading I would close the shades.  And crack the vent.  I have yet to hear of any window failure due to heat build up.  I think there is plenty of air circulation between the window and the shade.  
  • Options
    I keep shades on my t@b400 closed, blocking light and heat, while I tow. On hot days I close all blinds on t@b to keep it cool but I have an outside cover I put on front and back windows that really keeps the heat out.
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    Hey @Hobie the manufacturer of the windows says to NOT close the shades in direct sunlight as the trapped heat could warp/damage the windows.  I will leave mine open about an inch or so at the top to allow them to vent if the sun is on them.