Options

pre-trip refrigerator set-up.

2020 boondock 320 onwer here, how do you do it, and in tow, thank you :)
2018- 400- Colorado V6-Marin MT bikes :) 

Comments

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    The night before departure we turn on the propane to pre cool it.   then prior to departure load it up.    We travel with it on propane.     The fridge does not do a fantastic job on DC staying cold and the fact it uses 10 plus amps so you can exhaust your trailer battery in short order unless you are charging the trailer from your tow vehicle.

I have heard the debate about traveling with propane on,  sorry folks don't really care what you think and not looking for an argument,  it works for us.  Popular You tube RV's travel with their Fridges on Propane as well   

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    edited November 2019
    It takes a bit to cool down.  So we turn it on (shore pwr) the day prior to leaving.
    Then set on battery while on the road. Don’t use propane.  The owners manual states not to.  Most first responders frown against it.
    My last truck powered the refrigerator just fine.  My new one doesn’t provide enough amps to keep up with the draw, so trailer battery drains.  You have to learn yours.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    DesertDwellerDesertDweller Member Posts: 129
    I notice the OP has a solar panel set up from the factory.  Would that not help keep the trailer battery charged while towing with the refrigerator set on DC or is the only real source of charge the tow vehicle?
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite a/k/a "The D@wghouse"
    2012 Jeep Liberty KK a/k/a "Libby"
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    Somehow that combo of roof solar and power from the vehicle would have to be above 15 amps or so to keep the trailer battery charged.  That is a big ask.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    I cool on shore power for a day prior to departure. Before leaving, we toss our pre-chilled food and a big jug of ice cubes in the fridge and run with everything off. The fridge is actually a pretty good cooler, and ice cubes are an essential ingredient for camp festivities anyway.  ;-)
    I've done this for trips as long as nine hours. I don't have to worry about arriving in camp with a depleted battery, or--whether a real concern or not--about blowing myself up as I cruise down the road.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    I notice the OP has a solar panel set up from the factory.  Would that not help keep the trailer battery charged while towing with the refrigerator set on DC or is the only real source of charge the tow vehicle?
    In theory, yes, though I suspect there are a lot of variables. I'd test it out to see how well it works. Ultimately the goal is to get where you are going with a fully charged battery. If your tow vehicle (with or without solar assist) can keep up with the demands of the fridge and keep the battery topped off, all will be good. Unfortunately for many of us that doesn't seem to be the case.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @boonie, it is always best for anyone who owns an RV is to start by reviewing the user manuals for different systems.  I realize they are not always comprehensive, but that is the best way to start so you can familiarize yourself with the basic operation.  When you can't figure it out from that documentation, there is no question that many wonderful folks on this forum will help you out.

Regardless, as far as your refrigerator, see the below link.......from the User Manuals and Resources section on the left side of your screen.  Lots of helpful stuff in those topic areas:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6390/norcold-refrigerator-manual-guidelines-tips#latest
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)