Ordering a 400bdl - should I get solar?

cottonmouthcottonmouth Member Posts: 91
So we're planning to order a 2020 400bdl and wanted some input on whether it makes sense to have the solar panel option, or to forgoe that and get a suitcase type panel. And if there's anything we can have done/installed ahead of time (AGM, flooded, golf cart battery, controllers, etc.) that will make life easier down the road. I don't foresee us "boondocking" extended periods of time, but certainly some occasional 3-4 day no-hookup camping. 
2021 T@B 400 BDL aka Little Joe
2019 Tundra Crewmax aka Hoss
SE Louisiana

Comments

• xdrxdr Member Posts: 259
    we are at the same stage as you (prepping an order for a 2020 400 BDL) and decide the solar panel option was better than the suitcase as its integrated cleanly into the trailer and was just one less thing to bring along. Looking forward to seeing the answers to you other questions as it will help us as well. 
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • grubbstergrubbster Member Posts: 114
    Depends on where you are camping.  Much of the time I prefer to have my camper in the shade to keep it cooler.  A panel on the roof would not be of much use.  I have a portable panel that I can move to keep it in the sun.  Much more flexible option in my opinion.
    2023 F-150 Powerboost hybrid
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    edited December 2019
    We have a 2018 400 with factory solar and couldn’t imagine camping without it. IMHO it is well worth having factory solar. With that stated we also have a 100 watt portable panel with 30ft extension for shady campsites as we love National Parks and some are well shaded. We frequently camp for 3+days without hookups. A bonus with the factory solar is the additional gain while traveling and when parked or in storage. The roof panels are always available for solar gain and totally secure. 
    A battery monitor is well worth having installed as that is Extremely helpful keeping an accurate assessment of the true state of charge. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • cottonmouthcottonmouth Member Posts: 91
    Thank you for your comments. I think we've decided on the solar option. I understand the Victron controller/battery monitor comes standard with that. 
    SE Louisiana
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    I have a 200W Zamp suitcase setup.  While it does allow for parking in the shade, the unit itself is fairly heavy and cumbersome to move around. But it is the best option for the type of camping I do.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    @cottonmouth, we have a 2020 320 BDL with factory solar and have been happy with it so far.  It did come with the Victron controller but be aware that although the controller app will give you some basic battery information, you really need a separate battery monitor like the Victron 712 to accurately track your battery’s condition. 
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • cottonmouthcottonmouth Member Posts: 91
    Thank you. Is that something you add aftermarket? Is it a fairly easy mod? I'll check the forums for more info to.
    SE Louisiana
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    We have a 2020 400 BDL with the solar option and we are absolutely certain it was the right decision.  The panels keep the batteries topped up even without direct sun.  The way the trailer is parked in our driveway, the panels are angled North, yet they get enough charge to keep the batteries topped this time of year.  We boondocked in the Smokies for 4 days this Fall with mostly cloudy conditions, and left with the batteries at 75% charge.
  • DanManzDanManz Member Posts: 79
    Our 2019 BDL came with the factory solar and we love it.  We have never camped at a site that had AC power.  I've got a generator in case the batteries get low but I've never used it.  We've parked in sun, shade, cloudy and in between.  The solar always keeps up and I would not say we are particularly frugal with our battery usage.  Between the Alde, lights, radio, water pump and inverter for coffee in the morning it amazes me we get that much power back from the sun!
    Dan and Liz    2019 TAB 400 BDL    2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD TRD Sport
  • Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    @cottonmouth, a number of Forum members have done this mod (not me, so far) and I think it’s fairly straightforward if you’re comfortable digging into your wiring. There may have been a time when the factory would install it but that may not be the case anymore. Maybe your dealer would be able to do it. Lots of info if you search the Forum.
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @cottonmouth it can be installed by factory, but not on the production line, in service department for an extra charge, they installed one for me in February before my 400 left the factory. Can also be done fairly easily by an owner or other shop of you purchase the monitor.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I have been into the teardrop trailers for over 10 years now and have used solar for quite some time too.  My personal experience has now been with both portable panels and fixed solar panels and I have seen them evolve over time and improvements made.  What I tell people is this, solar is expensive and not for everyone. You need to determine the type of camping you plan to do, whether it be camping in a campground with shore power or if you plan to boondock and be off the grid for extended periods of time.  

Portable panels mean that you will have to carry the panel along with you when you head out on the road.  Initially when I entered the solar arena I purchased a 40 W Zamp panel as I had a smaller trailer. 

As my evolution continued I bought a larger trailer and eventually ended up buying a 200 W Zamp solar portable suitcase model. The 200 W panel is heavy, but it also provides a quicker ability to charge up your battery or can be used as a means of supplementing an existing fixed panel setup if you have a roof mounted panel.

My 2019 T@B 400 has a fixed 195 W solar panel on the roof. In the early stages of roof mounted solar panels people had to conceal wiring along the edge of the trailer and it didn’t look as nice as some of the units that are produced today. Today’s flexible panels are produced in a manner where the wiring IS concealed and aesthetically the installation looks great! 

I would also add that a fixed roof-mounted solar panel adds value to any trailer and also allows the trailer battery to be charged when the trailer is not in use as noted by others in this thread. The factory does a nice job installing the flexible panels, installing the victron battery monitors and wiring them in a manner that allows the battery to be charged when a trailer is sitting idle, etc. I am certainly not disappointed in any way, shape or form that I had the fixed panel installed on my 400.  It allows flexibility and convenience for a trailer owner and mJes the trailer more attractive to a perspective buyer in the event you sell a trailer. 
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,395
    I'll add that I typically have no choice but to park in the shade. With a portable panel, you can at least chase the sun to some extent.
    That said, there's no reason you can't have both if you decide you need it down the road. Best of both worlds!
    2015 T@B S
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited January 2020
    Okay, then the ideal solar configuration would be 1) a semi-flexible roof top mounted panel that, 2) "unlocks" when needed, and 3) attaches to a collapsible stand with extension cable. B)
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Or the next best is flexible permanently mounted 200 watts on the roof, with a connector near the battery to be able to plug in 200 watts of portable panels with a 20’ extension cord made from #10 marine cable. I have not run low on battery charge since I started using the 200 watt portable suitcase as a backup during low solar charging weather events.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136
    Verna said:
    Or the next best is flexible permanently mounted 200 watts on the roof, with a connector near the battery to be able to plug in 200 watts of portable panels with a 20’ extension cord made from #10 marine cable. I have not run low on battery charge since I started using the 200 watt portable suitcase as a backup during low solar charging weather events.

I have a '19 400 with factory solar (SunFlare) with the specs of open circuit voltage (OCV) of 36vdc. I been looking for an additional portable solar panel with the same OCV of 36vdc so I can just attach via cable for the portable panel to the factory Victron MPPT 75/10 input connectors. Mindful of not overloading the MPPT 75/10 controller. If I understand Victron Specs, this controller can handle up to 290w of 36vdc OCV.

So far I have not been able to locate a small 80-100w 36vdc OCV solar panel so I can argument the factory 190w panel. I have also contacted Aaron @ nuCamp and he even contacted their suppler of the factory panel and they do not offer a smaller 80-100w 36vdc OCV panel. Not alone a portable version.

That being stated, I really have not run out of solar recharging yet for the time spent, but I tend to be mindful of where I place the 400, if I know I will be needing the most out of the factory panel when boondocking. But again there have been times I parked in the open vs under the shade or placement the T@B for most sun vs the placement of the T@B for scenic viewing (preferred). I mostly boondock!

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB

• ShadraxShadrax Member Posts: 21
    I enjoy having a portable system so I can park in the shade, follow the sun with the panel, charge the tow vehicle batteries, etc.
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    edited February 2020
    @LSkrabut You hook two panels in series vs parallel.     most of the panels are 15-18 volt......If you would like 100watts you hook up 2 in series and you are good to go.    Depending on the panels you should see from 30-40 volts   I believe you would be either exceeding or very close to the max current rating.    your victron is good too 75 volts and 10 amps.....   

I put an additional solar controller in my trailer to be used by my ground panels..... I put a 100 volt 30 amp victron,   gives me room to play with it adding panels and a variety of series and parallel configurations.   Not that I need that much charging,   because I like to tinker

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136
    @Cbusguy Thanks for your information, but on some of the factory installed panels on the 400 the OVC is 36vdc and not 18vdc. So just merely hooking up a panel of in series or parallel would not be advised till one validates what the panels rated OVC is.

I do not believe connecting either in series or parallel a 18vdc OVC panel with a panel rated at 36vdc OVC would be prudent or safe and probably can destroy a controller or even panels connected!

But connecting a 18vdc either in series or parallel and setting the controller (either PWM or MPPT) with the correct OVC setting (18vdc in parallel or 36vdc in series) would work.

So this was my question, has anyone located a panel whose OVC is 36vdc so it can be connected in parallel safely to a factory installed panel to argument what I have of 190W 36vdc factory panel. Yes depending on what can be located to argument my existing panel I realize that my Victron 75/10 might have to be updated with a MPPT controller to handle the additional input possible.

Myself I rather have a solar panel(s) which are rated at 36vdc OVC and let a MPPT controller electronically deliver the proper voltage and augmented wattage to the 12vdc battery.

As I understand 190w 36vdc OVC creates more wattage to a 12vdc battery than a same rated 190v 18vdc OVC panel can.

I have contacted nuCamp and nuCamp has contacted the supplier of my 190w 36vdc OVC panel and at this time there is not a portable or smaller version which I can create a portable panel of the correct OVC rating required. I do not want another large panel to transport, but a smaller one of 75w-100w just to argument when the 400 might not be in the best position to catch those darn sunny rays.  B)

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB

edited February 2020
    @LSkrabut I would just pick up another small victron controller and add it.  run the two controllers in parallel.    But I would go out and camp in a few times to see what you really need before throwing cash at it.

I forgot,   found these on facebook market place.  They are sunflare panels just like nucamp uses out of dover ohio

Sunflare solar panels
    Dover, OH · over a week ago · 
    $1,234

Assorted Sunflare solar panels - 133w - $160 - 190w - $210 - 210w - $260 All new but scratched / bumped. No trades. Less

Condition
    Used - Like New
    Brand
    Sunflare
  • nhmikenhmike Member Posts: 94
    Some day you may want to sell your T@B.  The integrated solar panels will surely appeal to any potential buyer.  You'll likely get your money back.  I have a Zamp 160 suitcase that is great but honestly is rarely used.
    2016 cs-s max
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited February 2020
    A big advantage to factory solar, your batteries are always charged and ready to go.
    the Solar will also increase your free camping range, adding a day or two more.  That said, a small inverter/Charger is also handy to have, when you need extra power for AC or a microwave, in addition to quick charging your battery.
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    I have solar on my tab 400. It works well. So I would say yes.
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Does NuCamp offer several tiers of solar for new buyers, and if not should they?

There's going to be buyers who want 300-500W on top with 200W portable with 500Ah of battery and 3000W of pure sine wave inverter.  And there's going to be folks who only need 100W on top to keep the existing battery charged.  And some folks in the middle. 
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max