Options

thetford, dometic, kitty litter and bags in tab toilet.

boonieboonie Member Posts: 83
when you are moving about the U.S., dry camping in colder climates, not wanting to de-winterize, who among you have used one of these choices, and tell me about it. thanks :)  assuming there are no available toilets where you are parked.
2018- 400- Colorado V6-Marin MT bikes :) 

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @boonie, there are a couple of choices to make about using the toilet, and we have used both. Depends on your personal preferences and the circumstances. Just over a year ago I posted a semi-humorous, kinda tongue-in-cheek thread entitled "STRANDED" in which I described us having to use rv antifreeze with toilet use. In this case, we did an emergency blow-out winterize job on the t@b, but for 16 days had to continue to use the toilet. We had a few gallons of rv antifreeze with us due to the time of year we were travelling. We found that adding equal parts of the antifreeze in the toilet bowl to human liquid, nothing froze in the black tank, but at 7,000 ft altitude,  about 10°F, the tank contents became slushy. We increased the rv antifreeze concentration to 2 parts antifreeze and 1 part human liquid and that was good until we were able to be on our way, at -10°F. We were about 1 1/2 miles from a Walmart. It was easier for the DH to walk there and carry a gallon of the rv antifreeze in each hand back to the trailer than to carry a large bag/ container of cat litter that distance due to weight or volume. However, when prepared, and not stranded, the double garbage bag and cat litter routine is usually less expensive and more convenient. Using the antifreeze, you still have to have somewhere to empty the black tank. Using the cat litter, you bag the litter and your waste and dispose in a regular trash receptacle. Double bag in the toilet bowl for assurance that the bag will not leak or puncture and the package is safe for disposal. If traveling and not experiencing temps below zero, with the possibility of emptying your black tank every 5 or 6 days, I find that method easier. Personal preference. But if preplanned and traveling to a destination, to make time and more miles faster, the double bag/cat littler method is favored. If money is of no concern, several commercial products are available such as "wag bags". Again, personal preference. Good luck with all details travel related. It's all part of the adventure!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    boonieboonie Member Posts: 83
    as always, thanks:)
    2018- 400- Colorado V6-Marin MT bikes :) 
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @boonie I use the litter box method during winter when I go play in Ladybug in her shed. Saves running back and forth to the house in the snow! Once I’m out of litter I’m switching over to pine pellets sold for pellet stoves. Much cheaper and works well for cat boxes so I figure why not my set up? Again, personal preference, but hey, it works!  ;)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    @boonie we bought a package of Walmart brand wag bags to keep on hand for those times that we have already pumped the tank, and are on our way home but need to overnight at Cracker Barrel. They worked out fine, and we'll use them if we dry camp at some point. 
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    What bags work best if used with the tab toilet for late season Also, besides kitty litter, I’ve heard of people using a gel product.  Some bags are EPA approved, that must mean they break down over time.  The clean waste portable toilets sell kits and their additive is supposed to break down things, while also solidifying liquids.  This bag is one use unless you add more gel stuff.  We’ve really only have been summer campers and would like to extend the time after we would be winterized of course.  

Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Agree with everyone above.  We tend to do short trips in winter, and typically have above freezing temps when we get back down to sea level to dump.  We use the RV antifreeze in the black tank, and haven't had any freezing issues.  No smell issues either, so use that black tank! :)
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @TerryV6, I have used Double Doodie bags and if the gel is not included, it can be bought separately. See Amazon. 

Or, less expensive, is to get a box of 13 gallon kitchen trash bags—four times as many as days you will be gone. Get a non-clumping jug of kitty litter, I get non-scented. Line one trash bag in the toilet and then line the first with a second trash bag. Put about a cup of kitty litter in the second bag (after it is in place). Use more kitty litter as needed. 

As needed, remove second bag tie tightly and place bag in a plastic bucket with a lid. 

If you feel more comfortable, tied up both bags for each time you change bags. 

Ask away if you have questions. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Emma62Emma62 Member Posts: 51
    We used Hartz Multi-Cat Lightweight Recycled Clumping Paper Cat Litter inside a 13 gallon kitchen garbage bag for those night-time needs when we camped at the edges of the season before de-winterization and after winterization.  No smell and no dust.  

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I like this idea of pine wood pellets. Cheaper, lighter, etc.

However, with a quick search, I can't find anything except cat litter.

Are they available for pellet stoves? 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Yes, the reference was to Pellet Stove fuel pellets.
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    edited January 2020
    @ChanW yes, same ones. I have a neighbor who is a cat whisperer/rescuer and she uses only the wood stove pellets in her litter boxes. Her house doesn’t smell of cat urine at all, and she has at least three litter boxes and I have no idea how many cats. Let’s just say many cats. Pellets are cheaper than litter, and now there’s a litter made of a similar product. For those of us who live with four seasons getting the pellets shouldn’t be a problem. Pellets are also handy to burn in small wood stoves, like the Flame Genie. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Ok! I guess I'll have to hunt a little harder for pine. All I've found for fuel are hardwood pellets.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    @ChanW I think these are two possible links for pine pellets...I've used them when I was taking care of rabbits at a farm sanctuary, their urine smell could knock me over and make my eyes water, before I took the initiative and bought the pellets. They are also used in horse stalls. It never occurred to me it would be great for "dry" camping.

https://www.chewy.com/s?query=pine%20pellets&nav-submit-button=

https://www.amazon.com/Espoma-Company-SC17-Sani-Care-Premium/dp/B00TFCKXS8/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=espoma+horse+bedding&qid=1580173386&sr=8-1
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited January 2020
    Thanks to all that have participated in this discussion. Great information!

Also, @ChanW. I've found pine woodstove pellets at both Lowes and Tractor Supply.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    Ah! Thanks all.
    This sounds like the way to go, rather than collecting a half-froze black tank of slush (oog). (We do have both Lowe's and TS relatively nearby)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    We have been pondering the (new to us) knowledge in this thread. Please excuse the naivety, how do you properly dispose the bags/contents? Regular trash, or something more involved?

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    CrabTab said:
    We have been pondering the (new to us) knowledge in this thread. Please excuse the naivety, how do you properly dispose the bags/contents? Regular trash, or something more involved?
    Regular trash, as you would any other cat litter, dog poop, or baby diapers. Best to double bag for the safety of the person handling the trash.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW