T@B Sized Washer?

DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
edited January 2020 in Products and Accessories
I've been tempted to get a small washer for longer boondocking trips, but where to put the thing has been the question.  Then I saw this cute Xiaomi Moyu one:

https://banggood.app.link/zapXe19G62

$99 for the pink one on geekbuying.  Would easily fit in the driver's side converter / plumbing area.
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

Comments

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    edited January 2020
    Given how little it holds (one shirt OR four pair of underwear according to the link), + nothing I can find about a spin cycle, I’d say it’s an interesting idea but I may as well hand wash in a bucket at that price. Love the collapsible aspect, though. I’d be interested to see some actual reviews of it in use. If you decide to get it, please post!

Edit to add: Another possibility: https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Automatic-Apartment-Business-Capacity/dp/B07PT3DKXN/

2nd edit: Still another option. I’m tempted; only one review, but it looks like a reasonably legit one. This plus a collapsible bucket....still have to hand wring with all of these, though. https://www.amazon.com/WASHWOW-Detergent-Underwear-Travelling-Including/dp/B07ZHWYL2T/
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited January 2020
    You're probably better off throwing less money away on something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Vaorwne-Portable-Ultrasonic-Turbine-Foldable/dp/B0832Q4B2T/
    Just be prepared to be taken to the cleaners. :o 

If you want something that actually works and is boondock-approved, consider this zero Amp option: 
    https://www.acehardware.com/departments/home-and-decor/laundry-care/washboards/6292205

Finally, here's some backcountry advice on the subject:
    https://howtowilderness.com/2012/07/19/how-to-survive-the-5-stages-of-laundry/
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Hmmm. 
    Never read Travels with Charlie:D
    One of the best features of bad roads is the "bounce-powered bucket washer"!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    A couple bucks worth of quarters and a laundromat about once a week gets the job done for us.
    Have fun...
    Bob

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Another option: Throw small stuff in a dry bag, add water and soap, toss around for a bit, drain, then rinse a couple of times.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited January 2020
    So I'm hearing I'd be better off putting the wash cycle on one side, the rinse on the other, and letting the dog run around?  If I get the Moyu I'll share if it's any better than a bucket, and if it has a spin dry feature once I learn Mandarin.

(not our dog) 

Got the Moyu after all. Just didn't want to have to carry around the more serious dorm sized fully automatic washers and have to move something that size and weight to and from the tow vehicle every week. In contrast, the Moyu collapses to nothing and fits in a drawer or in that bottom hatch under the fridge in a 320. It's very quiet and with the lid on you can barely hear the sloshing of the water. At least with my old ears. Has a ten minute wash cycle and five minute rinse cycle each averaging 21W of power. You have to manually add just over a gallon of hot water and up to a dozen drops of environmentally friendly soap to wash, then a gallon to rinse after the drain (it has a drain lever and tube at the bottom if using in the bath or near the sink). Fits only 2-3 days of clothes. Or maybe 2-3 weeks if it's cool out, and you never exercise? Asking it to do a pair of heavy jeans (I don't have any) would be asking a lot. The second generation Xiaomi Moyu has a smallish spin basket that can only do a heavy shirt and maybe a couple pairs of socks and has a six minute cycle using 15W.

So it uses up a lot more valuable water when boondocking than power which it sips, if there's no stream to filter from nearby. I cannot squeeze any water out from the clothes after the slowish spin cycle, but they're still quite wet, so get hung up outside or in the bath. I have a mid-sized dehumidifier with a dry mode intended for clothing. It cycles up and down based on coil temperature, but in that mode averages 180W, and takes several hours to dry everything. Not much of an issue with 3 batteries and 3 solar panels if it's not rainy. Maybe if I sealed the top of the bathroom door and made a near airtight chamber for drying it would be quicker?

Probably no better than a large bucket with a lid and a bumpy road as mentioned above.  But it provides a nod to civilized glamping when out in the crude wilderness. Sort of like a morning latte instead of instant coffee.

• ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @rfuss928... obviously you haven't had to do laundry in  Arizona..paid $3.50 per load for washing...and the dryer was by the half hour... let's just say $20.00 on a preloaded card was gone quickly...very clean laundry mat though...and very helpful!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
    @ontheroad @rfuss928 For $20 at a laundry mat, there better be free margaritas while you wait!

• ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @doug h...nope...but the oil did get changed in the tv while we were doing laundry!...lol
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    scouts use a 5 gallon paint bucket with a hole cut in the middle of the lid.  Stick a plunger thru the hole and plunge up and down.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    My biggest challenge with washing buy hand is the ringing out of the water...it really hurts my wrists after a while. I would love to find an old fashioned ringer that doesn't cost a fortune.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited July 2020
    @jkjenn...maybe some on the line of a janitor’s mop bucket, maybe?

Search Amazon for “wringer”. I can wring our a bunch of clothes for $170+😉
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I considered it, after much Googling. In the end, it would take up too much space and seemed like it could be a little too rough on the clothes.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

edited July 2020
    @jkjenn I haven't found anything smaller than this one yet, and admittedly the tiny washer I use cannot spin dry many clothes at a time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085T1V99N

• Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    I got inspired to experiment with a salad spinner once, but it didn't really work, lol! 
  • Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    Anyone real time tried the Lanudry Pod? Im only washing t shirts, vests, socks, underware. Maybe a pair of jeans or cutoffs.
    Aside from the space it takes, that Laundry Pod DOES look nice.  And it could double as a salad spinner.

https://youtu.be/lJe-z5pRRHo

edited July 2020
    Tundra57 said:
    Anyone real time tried the Lanudry Pod? Im only washing t shirts, vests, socks, underware. Maybe a pair of jeans or cutoffs.
    We have a one.   We got it at Goodwill for I think $5 (or maybe $10).  We've used it at home for washing items separately mainly for my wife's crafting projects.  We did use it on my granddaughters heavy hoodie and it did a good job. Amazing how much dirt it got out.  The bigger heavier items need more cranking for washing and spinning. I think the instructions say1pair of jeans, but you can do quite a few "unmentionables" at a time or  3 or 4 tees.  It is like a big salad spinner during the spin dry cycle.  You will get a good arm workout.   :)
    Tampa FL
    @Tampakayaker In person does it feel like it will last for a couple years?  Are the gears in the lid nylon, or cheaper plastic?  Feel stable, or flimsy in construction?  I only ask because I've had salad spinners fall apart in a week of use.

DougH said:
    @Tampakayaker In person does it feel like it will last for a couple years?  Are the gears in the lid nylon, or cheaper plastic?  Feel stable, or flimsy in construction?  I only ask because I've had salad spinners fall apart in a week of use.
    I would have to look when I get home.

We've used it maybe a 1/2 dozen times. The soggy hoodie gave it a good workout and it didn't skip a beat.

For lighter things like tees, baby onesies, it was really smooth
    Tampa FL