Options

Winter Camping - use of ALDE system

Hello Folks,
We are considering going camping in our T@B 400 during the colder weather. We purchased the trailer last year and it is a 2020 model.
Prior to the winter, I winterized the system according to the instructions. We live in Southern Ontario where the temperature drops well below freezing.
My question is can we use the ALDE system to heat the trailer without first filling the water system. Our plan would be to go to a full hook up site and use the bathrooms in the campsite and not put any water in the trailer and just run the heating system.
I am wondering if the ALDE requires water in the tank before being turned on or can it run with just the glycol system for trailer heat?
Thanks in advance.
Keith Stamper 

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    If only glycol is in the Alde boiler, you can heat the Tab while winterized without adding water to the Alde water tank. 

"Winterized"  by some owners means putting antifreeze in the Alde water tank.  While you can still run the Alde, you need to have a certain kind of antifreeze that tolerates higher temperatures.  If  you winterize and keep your Alde water tank empty, feel free to heat the Tab.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    That what the Alde by-pass valve is for, keeping any RV anti-freeze out of the Alde water tank, so if you did this, than you should be fine.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    RerailRerail Member Posts: 22
    Thank you for the information. I winterized the unit exactly as described and drained all the water from the system. It is dry. 
    As the system is currently in the winterized position with all the valves set according to the spec sheet, I would assume that I do not have to change anything other than just turn on the ALDE system.
    My old trailers all had conventional heating systems I have not dealt with the ALDE system before.
    I appreciate the information.
    Cheers,
    Keith Stamper

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Yes, just turn the Alde back on, and in the control panel, turn off the water heating option.  See your Alde Manual for details.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Learned today that Alde has an app for those who don't read manuals. This is covered in the app very well. I highly recommend everyone download the app and use it to educate themselves on the Alde system.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    One other thing, the Alde heats much better on propane, so if you are in 5c temps or below you will be more comfortable using propane.  Once you are up to temp, the Alde is smart enough to switch to electric.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra