Options

Ceramic Coating?

Has anyone looked into applying a ceramic coating to their T@B?  Any personal experiences?

Thanks.
2019 T@B 400 BDL
2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
PNW

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    gspdx said:
    Has anyone looked into applying a ceramic coating to their T@B?  Any personal experiences?

Thanks.
    Sounds heavy...and prone to chipping

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    What would be the advantages?
  • Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    From what I have heard it is great for fiberglass.  Will keep it from flaking over time into exposed strands.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    PNW
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Ceramic products for cars have been "the rage" for several years. The hype is that they outlast/outperform traditional waxes. There are products that are commercially applied and there are products available for spray on home application. The costs vary wildly. There are lot's of unsubstantiated stories about how long these products last vs. traditional waxes. If you are a waxer and if you accept that the ceramic will not need to be applied as often (every 18 months to 5 years depending upon the brand and their pitch) these could save you some annual waxing effort. Anything that blocks the degrading effect of UV exposure is going to benefit the surfaces of your rig. That said, try to find legitimate independent product testing that substantiates the claims about the benefit of "nano molecules" of ceramic and how it might extend the life of the treated surfaces. 
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Where is the fiberglass on a 400 you are looking to protect? My 320 has ABS trim. As I understand, the best protection for UV degradation is solid color paint, or a shady tree...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    The sides of the TaBs are “Alufiber” - a composite of fiberglass.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    CherokeeCherokee Member Posts: 120
    The final coat of fiberglass is far thicker then paint and rosin is more durable then most paints. Plasticizers like Armor-All or ATF fluid will assist plastic trim, but shade is BEST for almost any finish.  Ceramic coating is GREAT for a detailer's bottom line. It is not scratch resistant. I'm curious how well it would work on a T@B to.  

1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (2" lift and 30" tires) 2019 T@B 320 Boondogle
  • Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    I've seen ceramic coat demonstrated in my car-building days and it's pretty interesting stuff.  The hardness hype is exactly that. Hype. The coating is so thin that there's little protection. What it IS good at is its hydrophobic qualities. It rejects moisture bonding and, subsequently, anything like dirt and sap etc will not bond but rather will bond to the water on the surface when raining or during a wash job, then be removed when the water is removed.  It's not bulletproof nor is it particularly uv resistant (as it is too thin for that) but does make washing much easier. The anti-scratch hype is true in as much as dirt and debris wash off without as much scrubbing, hence less scratching.  
    ABS parts are doomed from the start as they degrade quickly in the sun, getting brittle and eventually cracking. Fiberglass is also a plastic product and is subject to the same degradation as ABS, but is much stronger by virtue of the glass reinforcement strands within. It still cracks over time. Different fiberglass resins have different characteristics of flex with vinylester resin being much more able to flex and thus, resist cracking than polyester resin. Its doubtful you are getting vinylester products unless you have a fiberglass airplane. It's expensive and that's just not how the RV industry rolls. That said, they all suffer the same fate eventually. The longest lasting coating for fiberglass is paint. Vinyl wraps also protect resins, but are themselves subject to uv degradation and have a pretty short working life. 

WilliamA 
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Going on 6 years and my plastic trim has not cracked or really shown any real signs of fade.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    Really good info here.  It seems it might come down to if I would rather "wax" more or   less often as this sounds like a wax type application and nucamp recommends waxing anyway.

Thanks for all of the responses.  Will need to think on it some.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    PNW
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    For those with the Sofitel model t@b, this discussion is moot as even the sides of the Sofitel are aluminum. 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @WilliamA sums it up everthing I had read and friends had talked about.   Most of it is hype,  if you look on youtube some rv washing services even states dirt seems to stick to it more. 

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    For those with the Sofitel model t@b, this discussion is moot as even the sides of the Sofitel are aluminum. 
    One of the benefits of the Sofitel. Although it will dent easier than fiberglass.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun