Removing Top ABS Trim?

Is it possible to remove or lift the ABS trim from the top of the trailer? If so, how would this best be accomplished? The application would be to use the area underneath as a chase for cabling (trying to keep minds active during down time...).

2019 320 Boondock Edge
 - Sold Jan 2022

Comments

• MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    Believe if your goal is to Remove ABS, Run Wire, Replace ABS.
    You can Run Wire just by pulling up on the ABS, it bends some, should be able to get a 1/4 inch or so space for inserting wire.

I've pulled up on mine - - while researching how to fix a gap.
    Note:  Unknown if the new yr-2021 ABS can be pulled up this way.
    ABS / Roof line are something like this:

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Thank you @MuttonChops! The description of your experiences and drawing are MOST helpful. I am pondering flexible solar on the roof or rigid panels on the Yakima racks. My thinking is to get the power cables out of the elements as early as possible.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • LBHMLBHM Member Posts: 12
    hi MuttonChops...wondering if you have ever removed the roof trim and replaced it?  Where the two pieces of trim come together (and are fastened by a screw and some clear caulking), the trim has cracked and broken away from the fastening screw.  Nucamp is shipping me replacement trim and I'm wondering if I should tackle the job myself or take it to a dealer...appreciate any advice.  Thank you!  Photo is "top view" from roof looking down.  2017 T@B320S
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    It's super easy to remove,  take the black strip out of the keder rail, and you'll see the screws holding the keder rail and blue trim to the camper.  
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• trimtabtrimtab Member Posts: 237
    Uh..we get our new 320 next week..why did the trim break?
    thanks,eric
    2020 320-S boondock, solar, 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    edited May 2020
    trimtab said:
    Uh..we get our new 320 next week..why did the trim break?
    thanks,eric
    There are lots of theories about why the trim breaks, mainly revolving around temperature change. It might help to put oval slots in the ABS so that there's slop for the trim to shift. Or maybe some nylon washers? I think that maybe it might also have to do with how the trim is molded and then fit the T@B. In any case, NuCamp has done away with the ABS trim on the latest model, so you might not need to worry about it.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    buy a cover or use a tarp to keep water out during cold temps...the freezing and expansion will break the trim away

although thought there might have been a design fix for latest models?
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    LBHM said:
    although thought there might have been a design fix for latest models?
    The latest model doesn't have the ABS trim. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • COHiker06COHiker06 Member Posts: 25
    LBHM said:
    hi MuttonChops...wondering if you have ever removed the roof trim and replaced it?  Where the two pieces of trim come together (and are fastened by a screw and some clear caulking), the trim has cracked and broken away from the fastening screw.  Nucamp is shipping me replacement trim and I'm wondering if I should tackle the job myself or take it to a dealer...appreciate any advice.  Thank you!  Photo is "top view" from roof looking down.  2017 T@B320S
    My 2018 is doing the same thing. Did you have to go through a dealer for the part or direct through NuCamp
    2018 T@B400
    2019 Jeep GC 5.7L
    and two furry bed hogs
    Colorado
  • ObtuseMooseObtuseMoose Member Posts: 11
    The center piece of trim on my 2019 T@B400 BDL has completely broken about a foot from the top end.  It's out of warranty, so nuCamp says I have to go through my local dealer if I want to buy a replacement.  The dealer quoted price of $135 for that section is making me think really hard about covering the break with a piece of black tape.
    --
    Moose
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Yep - black electric tape.  Cheap and easy to replace.  It is only cosmetic and it may occur again in another spot.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited May 2020
    @ObtuseMoose, you can try gluing it back together with ABS pipe cement (if you like fiddling with things). The diagrams above by MuttonChops show how to detach so you could push it together. Alternatively, your idea would work too, and is much easier! 

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Why black? With a plethora of colorful tape options, display those wounds with pride!  :-)

2015 T@B S
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    That’s an exotic repair @ScottG!  I like it!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Thanks! I usually refresh the tape each season so a new decor may be pending.
    And, I'll admit, the first patch I put on was black...  :-)
    2015 T@B S
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    That’s an exotic repair @ScottG!  I like it!
    Is Scott really Joe Exotic?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    No cracks yet,  but when I do should I go with "Bacon" or "Hello Kitty" duct tape?  Yes, I have both... :)
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra