T@B 320 Sunflex Inflatable Awning

2»

Comments

• TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    There are a lot of things to like about that Walker inflatable.  I really like the “windows” and the sides that you can roll up, and the light weight.  I’m struggling with all the guy lines though.
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    Susan0214 said:
    We just received and set up our Walker Sunflex Inflatable awning for our 320 Boondock lite. Setup was easy, does take a little manpower to blow up the two inflatable tubes. For the first time, my hubby and I set it up in about 15 minutes. I could definitely do it by myself. The hardest part would be feeding it through the rail. I may have to walk back and forth a few times. It seems heavy duty - time will tell. There are a lot of guy lines to pull the awning taut, but I put stakes and guy lines galore on anything I set up due to living in Florida and constant wind and rain. We chose this one due to the 8 feet depth and the low weight. Already we see pros and cons with the clear plastic panels on the side. The ability to fold up and down the side flaps is a nice feature. I will have to report back after we use it camping in September in the North Georgia Mountains. I think where it will really shine is when we have lots of sun and rain - wish I would have bit the bullet and ordered it for our first 3 trips which were in Florida in the midst of the summer. As a plus, it coordinates nicely with our all-white trailer. 

Congrats! When you can, please report on how it performs in the wind. I keep waffling back and forth between this and the Isabella, which is an absolute rockstar in windy conditions.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    The inflatable is an interesting option, but my wife would be tripping over all those guy lines about 10 times a day...Looks a bit like a "Home Alone" booby-trap!

After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 220
    ontheroad said:
    was reading up on that model yesterday...read the warranty information provided..must be set up within 30 days of purchase to check for leaks..looks great but I'd be afraid of trying to get replacements parts and patching it..
    It comes with 2 patches and the tubes are very stout
  • DonaDona Member Posts: 35
    @Susan0214 can you provide an update on your inflatable awning experiences? What are the cons to the clear windows that you allude to? Do you think they’re durable? I’m interested in this awning except for 2 concerns... 5 guy lines seems like a lot of visual distraction (once we hang stuff on them so we don’t get caught), and the absence of a warranty on the air tubes.  What are your thoughts?  Thanks much!  It looks like an amazing awning!
    Dona & Ben / 2019 T@B 400, no solar, 2008 Tundra / Boise
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @Dona, @Susan0214 has not been active on the forum since September, 2020. Hopefully your questions will be answered, but just FYI. 
    -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Rodent77Rodent77 Member Posts: 79
    @elbereth Thanks for the review, my biggest concern was how it would preform in the rain. It helps with my decision

2021 T@B320 S - 2013 Ridgeline - Ont. Can

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! What A RIDE!!”  Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

elbereth said:
    We have been out twice now (2 nights and 4 nights) with the Walker SunFlexx awning for our 320 CS-S and LOVE it.  For reference we have also had a homemade visor awning and the PaHaQue side tent in the past.

I’m including lots of detail in case it’s helpful - I couldn’t find much about the awning online and took a bit of a risk (I usually research things carefully) but am so glad we got it - but wanted to give others info so they can see if this fits their camping style.

The SunFlexx took me, alone, probably 10 minutes to set up the very first time in the rain.  It went up even faster the second time, especially because I had DH to help me slide it through the tall part of the keder rail. 

It has the front inflatable tube that has a webbing strap running along the ground so it automatically bows as you inflate it, and then an inflatable cross-piece that runs from the highest point of the T@B to the front of the awning, held to both by substantial velcro attached to the awning itself (no velcro needed to be stuck directly to your trailer).  The tubes themselves are enclosed in the awning material, and it all seems incredibly sturdy and protective.  The tubes did not lose any air pressure in the 4 days we had it set up.  The inflation valves are one-way so they don’t leak as you’re inflating.  The included pump is nothing fancy but works great.

Tear-down is quick too, the valves unscrew to open up completely and then it’s easy to roll everything up.  The carry bag is significantly oversized so everything fits easily, and then it has 2 buckled straps that cinch down to compress it all.  It fits under the set-up bed in the CS-S for travel.

It is a good thick polyester canvas-like material, MUCH more substantial than the tent-like material of the PaHaQue.  The plastic windows are very thick and seem like they’ll be pretty bomb proof.  It was completely rain proof and had no drips underneath despite a couple of real deal thunderstorms.  The canvas itself is not completely taut despite being guyed out, so there was a tendency for rainwater to pool for a moment and then dump all at once down the sides, but it was never an issue of coming through the canvas and getting everything wet (stink-eye at you, PaHaQue tent).  Guyed out, it didn’t move in 15 MPH sustained winds nor in much stronger gusts.   Not just “held firm” but didn’t move.

We have kept the sides rolled up for a cross-breeze given the miserable midwest heat lately.  Even though it’s the smaller 320 size, it fits 4 camp chairs and a roll-top table under it nicely with enough space that the rain doesn’t blow in and get people wet.  Without the table, we had enough space for 2 of the camp chairs to be zero-gravity recliners leaned back and still have the other 2 chairs not feel cramped.  So two couples or a family could definitely hang out under it for a rainy afternoon.  We used a ThermaCell under the awning to keep the mosquitoes away and even in the Upper Peninsula that seemed to work just fine.

So, all in all setup time is comparable to my visor (which only has 2 guy lines instead of 5, but does require sliding a single 20’ tent pole through a sleeve).  But space underneath, rain protection, and stability in the wind are all a dramatic improvement.

Also, I placed my order with AllPro on a Friday, it was shipped the following Monday from Ohio via UPS ground and arrived in MN on Wednesday.  Kudos to AllPro, who also sent an email offering to answer any questions.

As you can tell, I’m very enthusiastic about the awning - which is good because it was so danged pricey.  My only complaint is that it’s boring grey rather than my colorful visor - not that we didn’t still get all the usual complements on the T@B at the campground.  

I hope this helps others trying to decide if it’s worth the $$$. I’m happy to answer questions.

@elbereth I have a question, can you keep the door open with the awning in place? The door on our 2021 when open is higher than the keder rail at one spot.  

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! What A RIDE!!”  Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Susan0214 said:
    We just received and set up our Walker Sunflex Inflatable awning for our 320 Boondock lite. Setup was easy, does take a little manpower to blow up the two inflatable tubes. For the first time, my hubby and I set it up in about 15 minutes. I could definitely do it by myself. The hardest part would be feeding it through the rail. I may have to walk back and forth a few times. It seems heavy duty - time will tell. There are a lot of guy lines to pull the awning taut, but I put stakes and guy lines galore on anything I set up due to living in Florida and constant wind and rain. We chose this one due to the 8 feet depth and the low weight. Already we see pros and cons with the clear plastic panels on the side. The ability to fold up and down the side flaps is a nice feature. I will have to report back after we use it camping in September in the North Georgia Mountains. I think where it will really shine is when we have lots of sun and rain - wish I would have bit the bullet and ordered it for our first 3 trips which were in Florida in the midst of the summer. As a plus, it coordinates nicely with our all-white trailer. 

So how was using it? My question is with the tab Door as mine when fully open extends past the keder rail. Is this at all an issue?

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Any awning that attaches to the Keeder rail on your TaB, would prevent the door from opening all the way, without the door pushing against the awning.  Look at the photos, how is your door which is quite above the roof line, going to open with an awning set to the roof line?
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    I sorta figure that just wondering if you can open it even if it pushes on the roof. I wonder if anyone has come up with an adapter to prop door open 505

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    @Rodent77 - I can’t speak to the Sunflex, but we have a PahaQue tent that does not allow the door to open fully.  It has not been a problem.  We use a piece of cording and a bunge and secure the door to the front handle.  It keeps it from moving or rubbing the tent when it hets windy.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • elberethelbereth Member Posts: 105
    It has been awhile since I logged in, sorry!  And camping is a distant memory up here in the frozen tundra. :smile: but IIRC the door does brush against the top of the awning but still can be opened without difficulty.  We tend not to keep the door open because even with the screen the mosquitos and gnats here find their way in, so I’m not sure how well it would work if you’re trying to keep the door open on a windy day.  
    2018 T@B CS-S Towed by 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i in the wilds of Minnesota
  • TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 220
    mine works well. had it in a storm in east texas. high wind and rain. Held up well. I put 2 of the guide lines on 1 stake and reduce the number of lines out that way. I roll up the sides and walk from the door to the TV with ease. Water proof and solid.
  • gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    I, too, put two lines on one stake, but I would like advice on how to tie them to the stake with the slides and all.  OTT, I love this awning.  
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    Currently typing this under my new Sunflexx (sadly, I’m merely parked in my driveway). I do like it overall—the quality is excellent. What I’m not at all fond of is the pump, specifically the multiple nozzles, none of which seem to fit tightly into the inlets on the tubes. I used the widest one, and yes, I screwed in the grey piece that’s part of the inlet, but I basically had to pump with one hand and hold the inlet with the other. Very awkward, especially on the larger tube, and not very effective.

Am I missing something? And has anyone tried a different pump, especially a powered one?
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW